Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 23 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Assembly

Film Exchange Jones Assembly

As the historic Fred Jones plant is being remodeled into a arty 21c Museum Hotel, plans have been revealed for the first phase of development that will ultimately surround it.

Hall Capital LLC of Oklahoma City, a partner with 21c and owner of much of the adjacent property, has submitted plans showing details for a long-rumored restaurant and live music venue.

As OKCTalk first reported in November, ambitious plans are in the works for 5 key blocks surrounding the 21c which would completely transform a previously blighted and largely vacant area on the western edge of downtown.

The property owners have also submitted an application to demolish the metal buildings to the south of the hotel and west of the this new project.

The restaurant and music venue at 901 W. Sheridan would involve renovating two historic brick structures on the northwest corner of Sheridan and Fred Jones. In the eastern two-story building, the entire space would be opened with a large stage at the north end and bars and seating on the south end on two levels. The western building would be connected and feature a semi-outdoor bar and eating area.

As renovations of the 21c continue, there are also evolving plans by Hall Capital to develop five blocks into a mix of housing, parking structures and retail uses.

Plans for the restaurant and music venue will be considered by the Downtown Design Review Committee on 6/18/15.

Default Re: 901 W. Sheridan

That looks great. Very well done.

I'm assuming the those are windows on the top of the western most building? If so, I would be nervous of them getting broken by hail in the spring.

Believe that western building will just be open -- no windows above.

Ah, I see. It was kinda hard to tell in the renderings.

Great news! This kind of thing is really needed for 21C to realize its full potential (and obviously Hall knew that as well or they wouldn't be doing it).

Also this must make the Flashback Arcade people sleep a little easier. Their move to west Film Row looks less and less risky by the month.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Also this must make the Flashback Arcade people sleep a little easier. Their move to west Film Row looks less and less risky by the month.
    Absolutely.

I'm going by FlashBack this weekend to take some photos, because they are getting close.

This whole area is going to start blowing up very quickly.

If you notice in this one image, it hints pretty strongly about the other development that will be happening all around this site:

Really like how music venues are starting to pop up with all these new developments. Awesome to see the city investing in music and artistry as a capital asset instead of just a cheap gimmick.

Yes, regarding live music we now have the substantially improved Bricktown Events Center, Criterion Concert Hall under construction, this place and the Tower Theater that will likely have a live music component as well.

Live music is getting ready to blow up just like restaurants and bars seemed to do, suddenly, in just the last year.

9. Default Re: 901 W. Sheridan

Very cool and appears to be pretty well thought out. I like the open air concept with the exposed steel trusses.

10. Default Re: 901 W. Sheridan

You can't just take away a roof diaphragm from an existing structure like that. Guessing that they haven't fully ran that concept by the structural engineer. The retrofits will be many and costly to keep the exterior walls from falling over and securing the rest of the existing roof from the uplift forces it now has an an open structure. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner View Post
    You can't just take away a roof diaphragm from an existing structure like that. Guessing that they haven't fully ran that concept by the structural engineer. The retrofits will be many and costly to keep the exterior walls from falling over and securing the rest of the existing roof from the uplift forces it now has an an open structure. Good luck.
    Can you elaborate? It looks from the plans that they are only removing the "skin" of the roof and are leaving the "skeleton" (i.e. structural supports) in-place. How will this result in decreased stability? I'm genuinely curious.

13. Default Re: 901 W. Sheridan

Has there been any discussion of expected capacity?

I like the look of it. I still think Scott Booker is involved here, probably handling the booking, etc. He can only bring in smaller bands with UCO@ACM due to it's small size. But he has enough clout to bring in bigger acts to a place like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitty View Post
    I like the look of it. I still think Scott Booker is involved here, probably handling the booking, etc. He can only bring in smaller bands with UCO@ACM due to it's small size. But he has enough clout to bring in bigger acts to a place like this.
    Yes, I had heard ACM@UCO was involved in this project some time ago.

Really like the look of it.

Will be interesting to see what happens with OKC's life music scene once this, the Criterion, and the Tower Theater are up and running.

This is (part of) the group that restored the Marion…

18. Default Re: 901 W. Sheridan

You are correct. I would imagine some additional bracing / bridging might be added to help keep the trusses upright. In the rendering below it shows some steel open web joists spanning between the trusses so there may not be any more bracing required.
    Last edited by One Dot Less Than Nine; 05-21-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: I took a closer look

If you look closely, you'll see they're planning to use shipping containers for the booths on the west end of the outdoor space:

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Can you elaborate? It looks from the plans that they are only removing the "skin" of the roof and are leaving the "skeleton" (i.e. structural supports) in-place. How will this result in decreased stability? I'm genuinely curious.
    I will try to keep it simple (I hope). The roof deck, or "skin" acts as a line of structural support for the exterior walls as wind hits them, the load travels like a beam to the foundation support and to the roof support (like a bridge). Then typically the roof diaphragm distributes that load, in the same analogy as the bridge/like a beam turned horizontally, to the shearwalls at the ends of the structures. In the case of this bldg before roof removal, the winds blowing from West would hit the face of the building, then distribute into the diaphragm, which would deliver the load to shearwalls on the N and S ends of the building.

By taking away the diaphragm, the walls are now cantilevered off the foundations, like a fence, as they have lost their support line at the top of the wall. The original construction of the building was likely as such that the walls and foundations relied on this support, therefore retrofit is likely needed to ensure they do not rotate and fail under high wind loads.

The trusses remaining could be used as strut lines to push the load back to the adjacent structure, but the issue is that they are likely just originally designed for the gravity loads they were originally supporting at the roof level and the existing walls would have to be proven to span horizontally between truss connection points. The truth about the joist and truss girders shown as remaining is that they relied on that removed "skin" to brace their compression top chord. Slender steel elements want to buckle out of plain when they do not have sufficient lateral bracing. Sure the gravity load is much less, but they would still have to be checked to make sure there is enough brace points that they don't buckle under the reduce load demands.

It's late and I am rambling, I hope some of it made sense. This stuff is also easier to communicate when you can drawings diagrams as aids....

All in all the proposed opening isn't impossible, but you are likely throwing a lot of money into purely structural retrofits to make it meet all current code requirements.

All in all the proposed opening isn't impossible, but you are likely throwing a lot of money into purely structural retrofits to make it meet all current code requirements.
    It's quite possible that is what they intend. I will give it the benefit of the doubt that they will know what they are doing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Has there been any discussion of expected capacity?
    The Oklahoman said 1,550.

23. Default Re: 901 W. Sheridan

^^^^^^
    Thanks.

The size seems to slot in nicely between the smaller places and the two medium-sized venues (Bricktown Events Center and the Criterion).

It's amazing how this is all coming together at once.

Of course, it's all part of hard work by many for years, it's just that it's all culminating around the same time, which is probably no coincidence.

Is there any information about what kind of restaurant is going in here? That will probably have a large effect on what kind of music venue this becomes.

Thread Information