Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Hefner Golf Course

Northwest OKC Lake Hefner Golf Course

There is currently $8.5 million allocated for 2017 to completely rebuild the clubhouse.

No funding source is identified but for the $9.25MM Lincoln club house project, they used a combination of General Obligation Bond plus golf revenue bonds. I believe the same was true for the big Earlywine project.

Also, for 2019 they have allocated $4.5MM for rebuilding of Hefner South Golf course including tee boxes, greens, bunkers, irrigation, signage, and cart paths.

The course and clubhouse were built in the mid 50's.

Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

This is the course I frequent. Very happy about that, though it is still in pretty good condition.

I have a bunch of fond memories of that old clubhouse and I bet a ton of others do as well.

I lived nearby and used to go with my dad when I was a kid, then later on my own as a young adult.

4. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

^^^^^^^
    Same here. Definitely fond of the place, but time marches on. Also pretty fond of south course. Hope it doesn't change radically. It's a great one for a brisk walking round early in the morning. When they renovated the north course - while the upgrades were fantastic - it was in many ways a new course. Layout changed dramatically, and it became much less walking-friendly.

Lots of courses these days intentionally create situations that discourage walking (long green-to-teebox distances, for instance), to encourage cart use for revenue reasons. I know carts ostensibly speed up play too, but not if it is the wrong two people sharing a cart. I can tell you that when I was consistently decent (low-mid 80s playing it down on the south course) I was probably quicker on foot than in a cart. If you hit it straight and a course is cart paths only, you should be faster than a cart if you don't eff around on a tee box, with club selection and the like. If I was the first off the tee on a weekday morning I could play the south in about 2-1/2 hours.

Any idea on when there are plans to release renderings?

I don't think any renderings have been formally developed but you can bet it will end up looking like Lincoln and Earlywine, as those are very similar to each other.

7. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't think any renderings have been formally developed but you can bet it will end up looking like Lincoln and Earlywine, as those are very similar to each other.
    When did they redo Earlywine? I was just there Monday and that clubhouse is the same as I can remember it being for some time now and it's alright but nothing spectacular..... Now the new one at Lincoln is pretty impressive compared to what was there before.

Maybe it was just proposed?

The design is nearly the same as Lincoln.

9. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Maybe it was just proposed?

The design is nearly the same as Lincoln.
    Must have been... Clubhouse at Earlywine is very similar to what's at Hefner and Trosper currently.

Press release:

Oklahoma City’s Hefner Golf Club makes improvements as recovery from winter storms continues
    07/28/2021

New sod, 6 acres of grass sprigs and a new irrigation system this fall are part of Lake Hefner Golf Club’s plan to make improvements and help the turf recover from the winter’s historic cold snap.

“The extreme temperatures this February damaged every golf course in Oklahoma City, and Hefner suffered the most out of our municipal courses. We understand it’s been frustrating for golfers, and we’re working on it,” said Head Golf Professional Brad Sliauter. “We’re making improvements now to make the experience better for golfers during the rest of the summer season, and our plans for the fall will take it even further before next spring.”

The unprecedented winter cold killed grass on Hefner’s fairways and collars around greens, making it harder for the course to bounce back in just one spring and summer season. OKC Golf has re-sodded the collars and added over 6 acres of grass sprigs in the North Course fairways, plus the No. 11 and No. 18 fairways on the South Course.

In early August, staff will fraise mow the driving range. The process tills the soil, removing the top layer of thatch and other material to help healthy turf regrow.

This fall, a new irrigation system will be installed on the South Course. It will help keep the turf healthy and help with weed control.

Lake Hefner Golf Club is one of Oklahoma City’s five public golf courses. Visit okcgolf.com for more.

Northwest OKC Hefner Clubhouse

The city has already replaced the Lincoln Park clubhouse and has started work on Earlywine. Also well under construction at the James E. Stewart Golf Course in northeast OKC.

Now, attention is being turned to replacing the clubhouse at Lake Hefner Golf Course and AHMM has been selected as the architects.

AHMM submitted a very preliminary concept which incorporates mid-century elements in a 2-level design to provide views of the lake.

Final design will happen in 2022 with construction starting thereafter.

Default Re: Hefner Clubhouse

My concern is the large A frame roof with skylights. The wind from Lake Hefner can be ripping at times. I would hate the for that style of roof to turn out like the former Mutt's on 23rd street.

I have very strong sentimental ties to the old clubhouse, although as you can tell by the photos it really is in need of an upgrade.

My family moved to Oklahoma and bought a house very nearby the year before the clubhouse was christened. My dad was an avid and pretty good golfer and this was his home course when I was growing up. He would occasionally take me along and it was a big thing to a little kid to be included with his golf buddies. I remember getting milk with ice at that snack bar.

Later, after my dad passed, I inherited his clubs took up the sport myself; I often played that course.

Looking forward to having something really great on this spot but will miss the old building.

I am looking forward to the new clubhouse. As a frequent user of the OKC Trail system I can tell you that the new Lincoln Park Clubhouse is a fabulous place to stop and get a quick bite after a long ride, run or walk. I anticipate the Lake Hefner clubhouse would get a lot more use since the Bert Cooper Trail is so busy.

^

And the current setup is not only dated and limited, it almost completely ignores its lake setting.

The new facility should provide terraces and views that lots of people would enjoy, not just the golfers.

In many ways, Lake Hefner is still far underutilized and underappreciated.

Good point Pete. The Lincoln Park Clubhouse has a beautiful view of the course from the second floor. It is truly a lovely place to enjoy a nice rest on the trail.

The nicer rooms at the clubhouse at Lincoln Park are available for private events and I'm sure that would be the case here as well.

I love Lincoln but I have a strong sentimental attachment to Hefner, and know tons of people who feel the same way.

I think this is terrific. Hefner's courses deserve a nice updated clubhouse. Of course, I still haven't been to Lincoln since they put in the new clubhouse, and I barely ever play golf anymore, but Hefner has long been my favorite municipal course in these parts.

19. Default Re: Hefner Clubhouse

I have feelings for the clubhouse myself. Hefner is where I learned to play and played most Saturdays for many years. But it hasn't really been updated in a looooooong time and it does really need it.

I live nearby and really like to have an early morning breakfast. It's good and the view has been "OK" or so.

I hope they continue with good breakfast fare and better the view.

Blog Entries

Hefner needs the update, but I hope it doesn’t mess up the food. Love their burgers and the stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    My concern is the large A frame roof with skylights. The wind from Lake Hefner can be ripping at times. I would hate the for that style of roof to turn out like the former Mutt's on 23rd street.
    My concern for the large skylights is the amount of hot sunlight beating through them during June, July, and August, particularly in the afternoon. Even with A/C going full blast it can still get uncomfortable sitting in the Sun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billokc View Post
    My concern for the large skylights is the amount of hot sunlight beating through them during June, July, and August, particularly in the afternoon. Even with A/C going full blast it can still get uncomfortable sitting in the Sun.
    Proper skylights filter the UV and have good thermal properties. It isn’t like putting regular glass up.
    And proper engineers size the units according to the load. This isn’t being designed by amateurs.

Pete, has there been any movement on this project?

No, not much is going to happen until later next year.

Thread Information