Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Spaghetti Warehouse Building

1. Default Re: Spaghetti Warehouse Building

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    YAY! I dont actually remember the last time there were windows there!
    Doubtful many here would. Pretty sure they have been bricked for at least a half-century, long before Spaghetti Warehouse located there.

Default Re: Spaghetti Warehouse Building

HangryHippo Guest

I'm so excited for this project!

Noticed this weekend they've taken the Spaghetti Warehouse signs down, although as of Sunday the one of the east facade is still up.

5. Default Re: Spaghetti Warehouse Building

It kind of creeps me out to see the old girl without windows. Its sort of like looking into a zombie's face with no eyeballs. Horror movie in the making....

Looking forward to seeing this in a few months. Very exciting!

It kind of creeps me out to see the old girl without windows. Its sort of like looking into a zombie's face with no eyeballs. Horror movie in the making....

i read this as 'the old girl in the windows' at first and was also creeped out

It does kind of have that trypophobia effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    i read this as 'the old girl in the windows' at first and was also creeped out
    Maybe this is Effie's second home when she needs a break from haunting at the Skirvin.

So, project for someone this week with a drone: get your drone up there close enough so we can see what the condition of the interior is like. The building faces south, so maybe go up the west side in the evening when the light is just right?

From Channel 9:

http://www.news9.com/story/38419074/...medium=twitter

They are renaming the building "The Icon".

BTW, Carol Hefner is quoted by Channel 9 and her title is shown as Development Partner.

For those who didn't know, she is the daughter of Sam Coury who bought the building last year.

12. Default Re: Spaghetti Warehouse Building

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    From Channel 9:

http://www.news9.com/story/38419074/...medium=twitter

They are renaming the building "The Icon".
    Why don't people do a bit more digging to find a more historical name that would be more unique and authentic for this incredible structure? Does anyone know who the architect/investor/original owner/tenant of this building was? Using a name like that would be so much more distinctive and a connection to OKC's past. But I am an historian, not a real estate developer, and they probably can market a building called "The Icon" better.

Well, anything is a step up from “The Spaghetti Warehouse Building”.

Historically, it just seems like all the buildings downtown would just be painted/renamed for whatever was occupying it.

The Oklahoma Furniture Manufacturing Company Building doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Blog Entries

Makes sense. I'm okay with the icon. But maybe a hat tip to the architect or something like that would be okay to.

This survey report calls the building the "J.W. Awalt Building", page 118.

http://www.okhistory.org/shpo/themat...rialokcnty.pdf

This article from 1989 also calls it the "Awalt Building". I can't find any info about who J.W. Awalt was.

https://newsok.com/article/2259700/s...awalt-building

Awalt was also a furniture manufacturer and had a factory-direct store at that site.

I remember going there with my dad around 1982.

Blog Entries

"Awalt Building" would be a perfectly fine name. Maybe if it becomes a boutique hotel they can call it "The Awalt", with the building still being the Icon building.

21. Default Re: Spaghetti Warehouse Building

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    This article from 1989 also calls it the "Awalt Building". I can't find any info about who J.W. Awalt was.

https://newsok.com/article/2259700/s...awalt-building
    There you go! I like it.

Or it would be cool to name it after a historical figure who doesn't get their due like OKC Civil Rights icon Roscoe Dunjee. Honestly, he should have a street named after him. To me, he's OKC's most inspiring historical figure. He was the founding editor of one of the largest black newspapers in the nation (the Black Dispatch), he helped lead the first state-level NAACP conference in the nation, he was involved in the Sipuel and McLaurin desegregation Supreme Court cases out of OU that led to Brown v. Board, he promoted black businesses, and he bravely fought segregation laws by violating them right after they were passed. Important to this conversation, I think he was based out of what is now Bricktown, but I'm not positive on that. If so, it would make naming a Bricktown building after him even more appropriate. Here's a short bio on him: http://www.okhistory.org/publication...hp?entry=DU007

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Or it would be cool to name it after a historical figure who doesn't get their due like OKC Civil Rights icon Roscoe Dunjee. Honestly, he should have a street named after him. To me, he's OKC's most inspiring historical figure. He was the founding editor of one of the largest black newspapers in the nation (the Black Dispatch), he helped lead the first state-level NAACP conference in the nation, he was involved in the Sipuel and McLaurin desegregation Supreme Court cases out of OU that led to Brown v. Board, he promoted black businesses, and he bravely fought segregation laws by violating them right after they were passed. Important to this conversation, I think he was based out of what is now Bricktown, but I'm not positive on that. If so, it would make naming a Bricktown building after him even more appropriate. Here's a short bio on him: http://www.okhistory.org/publication...hp?entry=DU007
    That would be fantastic and appropriate, but Carol Hefner's racist and most likely wouldn't go for it...

https://www.thelostogle.com/2015/11/...-carol-hefner/

^^^
    I remember seeing that post, but even re-reading it was incredibly depressing. Okay, well, maybe someone could start a movement to recognize Roscoe Dunjee in another way in the core (e.g., street name, historical markers, monument). Seriously, his name should be better known by OKC residents and visitors.

moved photos to next page

Thread Information