Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Full Moon

Blog Entries

Default Re: Full Moon

Don't know why creativity and something truly different draws such ire from this community.

I approve of this project!

25' wide and 5 stories tall...it probably needs the hole just to keep from blowing over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Don't know why creativity and something truly different draws such ire from this community.
    Is it drawing that much ire? There's a number of positive comments, some questions, and the critiques are mostly reasonable. Other critical comments have more to do with Rand's critique of others' developments.

This COULD be very cool. The renderings are pretty fantastic. We will see as this moves through the process.

2Lanez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    I have been curious as to what the other side of the building looks like...
    The dark side of the moon?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lanez View Post
    The dark side of the moon?
    Good one!

^^^

I would love to see this built. It's different, but it's unique and will add flavor to Midtown. When exploring a city on foot, it's buildings like this that will stand out.

“FULL MOON” RISING
    Luminous Loft Living near Downtown OKC
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

April 18, 2017

Oklahoma City, OK—The application for a dramatic and sophisticated concept in urban living was submitted to the Oklahoma City Downtown Design Review Committee Tuesday, April 18. It is designed by the celebrated architect Rand Elliott.

“Full Moon” is the name inspired by the 42-foot oculus, the structure’s signature. Spanning the oculus is the Skywalk, a vantage point for skywatching.

For passersby, the development turns a remnant piece of land – and an eyesore – into a district- defining asset. For residents, Full Moon sets the stage for day-to-day experiences sprung from spectacular views and the play of light within the interior spaces. Sunrise, sunset, stars, storms and near-360° views include downtown and other urban skylines.

Eight Full Moon lofts – and two garden flats – are planned, available for leasing later this year. Each floor plan affords the resident a unique perspective of the oculus and the outdoors. Given the level of detail in the design, each will be a work of art.

OKC’s new transit line will feature a stop on the same block, on NW 11th Street. Residents will share an enclosed ground-level courtyard and garden. Reserved resident parking will be across the street.

Elliott + Associates is the project architect and Lingo Construction Services is the contractor. For more, visit FullMoonOKC.com (fullmoonokc.com)

“What if you could take something nobody wanted and turn it into a beautiful, original piece of architecture you could call home? The property at 322 NW 12th was described as unusable and largely discarded.

But the narrow nature of the lot created opportunities. It demanded creative answers and careful attention to detail to ensure a sense of luxury and livability. The oculus creates a soaring feeling. It will be exciting.” Rand Elliott, FAIA, Elliott + Associates

This project is amazing. It will be one of the more architecturally significant buildings in okc. There isn't much else like it here or anywhere.

Blog Entries

I like this building. It will be great to see online, but the fact that he has ensured no surrounding density so that his art can be appreciated is... a disservice to the city at the very least.

The only concern voiced by the committee was the prospect of structures being built to the east or west of the Full Moon that would hurt the building's appeal and hide its dramatic facades. Elliott responded he has met with owners of the surrounding properties and is not worried about the surrounding lots being cleared for a higher density development.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I like this building. It will be great to see online, but the fact that he has ensured no surrounding density so that his art can be appreciated is... a disservice to the city at the very least.

This is very angering.

But there is nothing from keeping those lots from being developed into higher density, right? Nothing to get upset about, at least for the time being. It's just formal agreement unless this pr|ck buys the lots.

Isn't there a diner going right next to this building? Sort of like the pump bar... God I hate Rand Elliot with a passion. Go back to Tulsa dude... seriously

Blog Entries

I suspect rand would use the full force of his influence and possibly file a law suit similar to those folks in SOSA if anything were going to get built to obstruct his art.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	13858

Going on this strip of grass between the Wesley (which itself is three stories so a bit of an obstruction) parking lot and the former Foodies lot which is getting developed, so yes, true it's unlikely to have any competition in the height department. But in the unlikely event, some years down the line, someone bought the foodies lot and wanted to build a mid-rise, Rand would try to stop it.

And I predict he would be successful in his efforts to stop any development covering his art.

I want to be a fan of his -- all of his designs are interesting, and most of them are appealing to the eye. However, in every single one of his designs he completely ignores the street and the pedestrian, and his designs are only successful on large, lots with a lot of empty space around. His designs just don't fit in with general urban principles. If this design were on a corner, or oriented in a way to face the street everyone would win: the pedestrian would maintain good urban form and benefit from interesting views during walking, Rand would never have to worry about an adjacent development destroying the view of his design. Right now this development will be good for everyone in the short term, but a huge problem for everyone involved when land prices go up and that parking lot gets in the hand of someone who wants to build a 4-5 story building there. Rand will be pissed, we will be pissed that Rand is putting up a fight, and the new property owners will be pissed a "Good 'Ol Boy" is about to get his way.

Blog Entries

We seem to cheer for the demise of people who do things creatively different. It is our Okie heritage. We predict and hope for failure for unique and interesting projects but cheer cheaply built and same-o-same designs.

We seem to cheer for the demise of people who do things creatively different. It is our Okie heritage. We predict and hope for failure for unique and interesting projects but cheer cheaply built and same-o-same designs.
    I appreciate creative design but not at the expense of the greater good.

Sometimes, maybe. But with anything Rand does, you're totally off base here. I absolutely LOVE the looks of the things Rand creates. His buildings LOOK awesome. I love the look of the Underground. I love the use of color in his works, the materials he uses, the modern designs, everything. EXCEPT the interactions of his buildings with the area. He is a fantastic aesthetic architect. Any city would be proud to have his look throughout their city. But he straight up SUCKS at street and pedestrian interaction. I think jut about everyone loves this building. Its totally unique. Its just placed horribly.

I love this building. Im excited for it. But it sucks that he has totally hamstrung the adjacent properties because you know he will fight tooth and nail to detract any development adjacent to this. I think, realistically, it's going to be fine and it will never be a problem. However, this creates a possible problem. Maybe it will never come to fruition. We will see.

Catch... +1 on your posts. He could just as easily build these things in the suburbs and they'd be great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Catch... +1 on your posts. He could just as easily build these things in the suburbs and they'd be great.
    Please feel free to show this kind of building in the suburbs. This seems to be the remark when legitimate criticism can't be concocted.." .oh, it should be in a suburb". You need to do better than that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I appreciate creative design but not at the expense of the greater good.
    So, who gets to decide the "greater good"?

Nice straw man there, chief. Ridiculous.

This building belongs in an urban environment. It's being built densely on a small lot. Of course, Elliott can't expect for nothing with height to be built next door, but I got the sense that he just didn't expect that there is any density forthcoming when he chose this lot. He's probably right too. The senior parking isn't going away and the plan for the Foodie's lot doesn't look like it's adding height any time soon. I wish Rand would consider people and context more in his designs and I wish he'd been less demanding in the Automobile Alley case, but he does very interesting work. Ideally, this building would be on a corner lot so development with height would never be a concern. But we don't have to swing from one extreme to the other when discussing people on this board. I think this could be an iconic building for OKC.

Thread Information