Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nonesuch

Default Re: Nonesuch

Someone on Instagram said they ate at taco bell after eating here... ��

Why would you admit that? Embarrassed for them.

Wowzers!

3. Default Re: Nonesuch

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post

Totally believable... I've seen people comment that they left hungry too and every time I've been I walked away stuffed..... These kinds of diners should probably just be sticking to the gourmet selections of Golden Corral.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Totally believable... I've seen people comment that they left hungry too and every time I've been I walked away stuffed..... These kinds of diners should probably just be sticking to the gourmet selections of Golden Corral.
    It's surprising that those types of diners even have the $$ to eat at a place like Nonesuch and then go hit a Taco Bell which is about as bad as it gets. Not exactly the same clientele.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    It's surprising that those types of diners even have the $$ to eat at a place like Nonesuch and then go hit a Taco Bell which is about as bad as it gets. Not exactly the same clientele.
    I can afford to eat anywhere in town and we do enjoy the nicer places but until they put a Nonesuch by my house that is open at 11 pm or 2 am when I'm heading in from a night out after a few drinks, I will still be hitting up Taco Bell occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Depends on the person. I would probably be stuffed but my 19 year old son that polishes off the 16 ounce strip at the Ranch (which he much prefers over Golden Corral) along with finishing mine and sometimes his sister's would walk away hungry. (He is skinny as a rail and runs 16 minute 5ks)

7. Default Re: Nonesuch

I ate at Nonesuch last fall. It was one of the most amazing dining experiences of my life. The service was fantastic and I loved how they explained each course. The food, on the other hand, was definitely underwhelming. Of the nine course there were maybe two or three that I enjoyed. Some in my party enjoyed most or all of the courses and others were like me. Does this mean I have bad taste in food? No, it just means I have different tastes in food. I learned long ago that if someone doesn't share my tastes in food, music, movies etc. that doesn't mean I have good taste and they have bad. It just means that we have different tastes. And no, I didn't eat at a Taco Bell on the way home. I haven't eaten there in 25 years, but I'm not going to look down on anyone who enjoys it.

8. Default Re: Nonesuch

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Depends on the person. I would probably be stuffed but my 19 year old son that polishes off the 16 ounce strip at the Ranch (which he much prefers over Golden Corral) along with finishing mine and sometimes his sister's would walk away hungry. (He is skinny as a rail and runs 16 minute 5ks)
    Personally I can polish off the Cowboy Ribeye and 2 sides with appetizers and bread at Mahogany but if you go to a restaurant like nonesuch with the mindset of coming out stuffed.... You've gone to nonesuch for the wrong reason in my opinion.

But to many American diners have a quantity over quality mentality towards dining out..... And if you need to see my proof.... Look at our obesity rates.... Me included in that obese class after years of choosing to eat at buffets...... Although only about half as obese these days in the 290's compared to the 600lbs I carried when I was in my late 20's to mid 30's...... And I no longer eat at buffets.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I ate at Nonesuch last fall. It was one of the most amazing dining experiences of my life. The service was fantastic and I loved how they explained each course. The food, on the other hand, was definitely underwhelming. Of the nine course there were maybe two or three that I enjoyed. Some in my party enjoyed most or all of the courses and others were like me. Does this mean I have bad taste in food? No, it just means I have different tastes in food. I learned long ago that if someone doesn't share my tastes in food, music, movies etc. that doesn't mean I have good taste and they have bad. It just means that we have different tastes. And no, I didn't eat at a Taco Bell on the way home. I haven't eaten there in 25 years, but I'm not going to look down on anyone who enjoys it.
    I think your comment here kind of underlines the difference in the intent of the food served at a place like nonesuch versus the food served at more traditional sit down restaurants or fast food. Nonesuch, I think, is aiming more for complexity and being interesting over serving something that would traditional be considered delicious by everyone. The couple of times I've gone, my experience was similar to yours in the sense that probably only a few of the dishes that I was served were things that I'd probably want to specifically eat again. But I also wouldn't call the food underwhelming because even if I didn't love an individual dish the experience of trying something new and examining the complexities of different flavors and different combinations of flavors is fun and interesting and also pretty novel (at least for us).

And please understand I'm not criticizing anyone who might not enjoy that experience or who finds nonesuch's food underwhelming or unsatisfying. I think its just a mindset thing and one is either into it or not and its not a positive or negative on that person either way.

10. Default Re: Nonesuch

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    But I also wouldn't call the food underwhelming because even if I didn't love an individual dish the experience of trying something new and examining the complexities of different flavors and different combinations of flavors is fun and interesting and also pretty novel (at least for us).
    And that's why I said the experience was amazing. But at the end of the day I want to eat something that is delicious rather than interesting.

11. Default Re: Nonesuch

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    And that's why I said the experience was amazing. But at the end of the day I want to eat something that is delicious rather than interesting.
    But your reaction is reasonable and respectable.... The reaction of the review about Taco Bell was just someone trying to diminish the reputation of a restaurant.

12. Default Re: Nonesuch

I've heard a handful of times from people I know that they've stopped at Taco Bell, etc. on their way home - I think that is less to do with them eating at Taco Bell, and more to do with the fact that there are limited options for food at the time you're finishing dinner there. nonesuch was a big (and still is to an extent) a leap for OKC as a majority of people here aren't familiar with a tasting menu as we had very limited options to experience that. As has been mentioned upthread, we seem to focus more on quality over quantity, and when people see the price tag they're associating it with our other, higher end, restaurants which a majority are steakhouses with large portions. I think as people become accustomed to what places like nonesuch and Grey Sweater are doing, they will be more receptive and appreciative of what they're doing. We've come a long way, but we still have a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post

This could speak on

A. The portion sizes of nonesuch
    B. The appetite of your average OK person
    C. Both?

I recall my first time eating at Stella for lunch I grabbed a 20 piece at mcdonalds afterwards.

I ate at Nani, the concept from which Nonesuch was borne. It was an exhilarating evening with friends, stimulating, and even mind expanding. But, if I were to be completely honest, I kinda wanted to hit up the taco truck about a half hour after we left (we were there for at least two hours). I did eat everything and enjoyed most of it. Some of it was more interesting than delicious per se, but I did eat it and the food portions were rather precious to say the least. I would expect nothing more from Nonesuch and would prepare accordingly.

Nonesuch is a dining experience, not a meal. I totally get the Taco Bell thing. I was hungry after I went, but I wasn't there to get stuffed I was there for the experience.

Its not a buffet where you walk out 5 lbs heavier. You're there to try foods you haven't had before, those foods are all sourced locally and cooked with unique techniques.

I know the portion sizes are smaller at Nonesuch because it's a tasting menu, but you do get several courses, so I personally was plenty full by the time I finished my meal.

Nonesuch may have just priced themselves out of reach of us, and maybe a lot of other people. Price until July is $125/person, but starting in July it's $175/person. We went there once maybe a year ago, and were planning on doing it a few more times for milestone birthdays/anniversary in the next few years, but now......

Blog Entries

^plus, you have to spend another $20 on Taco Bell afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Nonesuch may have just priced themselves out of reach of us, and maybe a lot of other people. Price until July is $125/person, but starting in July it's $175/person. We went there once maybe a year ago, and were planning on doing it a few more times for milestone birthdays/anniversary in the next few years, but now......
    Food cost across the board have gone up And continue to go up.

Nonesuch will never go out of business

They are decent priced for what they offer

Nonesuch has 22k IG followers

Compare to other cities throughout the world and you will see for what they offer it’s cheap

OKC needs and embraces this establishment

For OKC to compete on this level is huge, nonesuch is on the level of this world renowned restaurant

https://www.dillrestaurant.is/en/home/

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    Nonesuch will never go out of business

They are decent priced for what they offer

Nonesuch has 22k IG followers

Compare to other cities throughout the world and you will see for what they offer it’s cheap

OKC needs and embraces this establishment

For OKC to compete on this level is huge, nonesuch is on the level of this world renowned restaurant

https://www.dillrestaurant.is/en/home/
    Never said they'd go out of business by raising their prices, just that we're not going to eat there anymore, there's not much food that's worth $175/perrson. And funny enough, the restaurant you list only charges $125/person...

As far as BS's post - I realize that prices have gone up, but none have gone up 40%.

Never said they'd go out of business by raising their prices, just that we're not going to eat there anymore, there's not much food that's worth $175/perrson. And funny enough, the restaurant you list only charges $125/person...

As far as BS's post - I realize that prices have gone up, but none have gone up 40%.
    prime beef is in fact up well more then 40% from last oct / nov

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    prime beef is in fact up well more then 40% from last oct / nov
    And how much of that does Nonesuch serve?

And how much of that does Nonesuch serve?
    You are being obtuse and it is making you look a bit silly. Literally everything a restaurant purchases has gone up, and is continuing to go up in price. Bouldersooner was simply providing an example of a major price increase. A quick look on sysco and I can see that chicken thighs have gone from $81 a case in march to $120 currently, to go drink cups have literally doubled in price over the last 2 years, and I could go line by line and find similarly large increases in cost. Do not get me started on the insane price of gloves for food prep and service. Labor costs have gone up substantially as well, the hospitality industry is FINALLY starting to pay staff more reasonable wages. At this point if your restaurant has staffing problems you are not paying well enough and someone else is. We can also get into things like utility pricing increases, covid ppe supplies, etc. It's alright that you do not feel it is worth $175/plate, lucky for you OKC has a ton of great restaurants you can go to instead.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    You are being obtuse and it is making you look a bit silly. Literally everything a restaurant purchases has gone up, and is continuing to go up in price. Bouldersooner was simply providing an example of a major price increase. A quick look on sysco and I can see that chicken thighs have gone from $81 a case in march to $120 currently, to go drink cups have literally doubled in price over the last 2 years, and I could go line by line and find similarly large increases in cost. Do not get me started on the insane price of gloves for food prep and service. Labor costs have gone up substantially as well, the hospitality industry is FINALLY starting to pay staff more reasonable wages. At this point if your restaurant has staffing problems you are not paying well enough and someone else is. We can also get into things like utility pricing increases, covid ppe supplies, etc. It's alright that you do not feel it is worth $175/plate, lucky for you OKC has a ton of great restaurants you can go to instead.
    From https://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciak...ing-to-notice/ on Apr 5:

"It’s a worthy discussion to be sure, as menu prices at limited-service concepts are up about 8% over 2020, while full-service restaurants are charging about 6% more. These increases come as operators navigate a confluence of cost pressures, from gas to commodities to labor, in an inflationary environment not seen in about 40 years."

What is so unique about Nonesuch that their price increase is 5-7 times more than other restaurants?

Thread Information