Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nonesuch

Default Re: Nonesuch

I wasn’t kidding when I said I think it could get a Michelin Star. It’s a truly unique experience.

Look at some of the places they beat out

http://view.ceros.com/conde-nast/hot10-mb/p/1

Nm

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I wasn’t kidding when I said I think it could get a Michelin Star. It’s a truly unique experience.
    They can’t

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    They can’t
    Why not?

Great article. It is now on the top of my list of restaurants to try. Really excited and hope the city can get behind them. They have proved they deserve it.

https://www.bonappetit.com/gallery/o...guide-nonesuch

This is also another great article. Exciting news for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Why not?
    I started poking around because I was also curious and found this out:

"In order to receive a star, you have to be, most importantly, in an area that is covered by Michelin. I could start a place that rivals the French Laundry in Dallas and would never get one - Dallas is, currently, not covered by Michelin. In America, this would be New York City, the Silicon Valley, San Francisco, East Bay and Wine Country, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Las Vegas. You will notice that no southern cities are included. America is special, in this case, in that Michelin guides are written per city or (in the case of San Francisco) small area, not state or country as they are elsewhere."

That's from an article in 2012 in Huffington Post, but I doubt OKC has started to be covered by Michelin since then:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora...b_2204599.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I started poking around because I was also curious and found this out:

"In order to receive a star, you have to be, most importantly, in an area that is covered by Michelin. I could start a place that rivals the French Laundry in Dallas and would never get one - Dallas is, currently, not covered by Michelin. In America, this would be New York City, the Silicon Valley, San Francisco, East Bay and Wine Country, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Las Vegas. You will notice that no southern cities are included. America is special, in this case, in that Michelin guides are written per city or (in the case of San Francisco) small area, not state or country as they are elsewhere."

That's from an article in 2012 in Huffington Post, but I doubt OKC has started to be covered by Michelin since then:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora...b_2204599.html
    Didn't the whole Michelin thing come from the Tire Company creating a roadmap of restaurants for truckers and such throughout Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Why not?
    They only rate nyc Chicago and San Francisco (Bay Area). In the us and they added Washington DC this year

Outstanding articles. It makes me so proud of this city every time I see us getting good national press like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Didn't the whole Michelin thing come from the Tire Company creating a roadmap of restaurants for truckers and such throughout Europe?
    Yeah so Michelin wanted people to get out and drive, (use tires) so they created a guide to all the great restaurants in Europe as a travel guide for motorists. Kinda brilliant. They mostly keep it around as tradition.

Congrats to them and a great feather in the cap for OKC!

They only rate nyc Chicago and San Francisco (Bay Area). In the us and they added Washington DC this year
    Interesting. Didn't know that.

Those four cities are the only cities in all of North America that they cover - not just the US. In South America, they cover exactly two cities. In Europe and Asia, on the other hand, they cover entire countries, That's pretty crazy. Full list here: https://guide.michelin.com/city_selector

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Those four cities are the only cities in all of North America that they cover - not just the US. In South America, they cover exactly two cities. In Europe and Asia, on the other hand, they cover entire countries, That's pretty crazy. Full list here: https://guide.michelin.com/city_selector
    Yep, some of the current best restaurants in the world are in non-Michelin reviewed countries. I'm not sure if Michelin has any plans to expand their currently reviewed areas.

https://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners

Blog Entries

Not disputing their list, but wonder how they arrived at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Not disputing there list, but wonder how they arrived at it.
    https://www.theworlds50best.com/the-academy/manifesto

This award is very reputable and more encompassing than Michelin (although Michelin will always be king). A big negative of a Michelin restaurant is once they receive and maintain their star(s), the popularity goes through the roof (which typically means you need to book months in advance) and so do the prices.

I booked a table yesterday for the end of August and there were still plenty of options available for August and September. I checked back this morning and everything is booked through September (as far out as they book). Hopefully they keep the momentum going, but the word is out now.. really exciting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I booked a table yesterday for the end of August and there were still plenty of options available for August and September. I checked back this morning and everything is booked through September (as far out as they book). Hopefully they keep the momentum going, but the word is out now.. really exciting for them.
    I am glad for them, though I still can't fathom placing a reservation that far in advance... I still prefer to walk into places on a whim

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Yeah... I was looking at it yesterday as an option for my girlfriend's birthday. Checked back this morning and every available reservation on the website is full lol, guess we will try Red Prime!

Here is how confident I am, regarding the veracity of anything connected with "Bon Appetit Magazine." The homemade version of this was just as good as the original. From a restaurant on the shore of a Great Lake, in Door County, Wisconsin, that no longer exists. The good news is that another crew reopened and renamed it. I hope they kept this in their recipe files. =~) I'm happy for Nonesuch. (btw: there used to be a great local Celtic band by that name. =~) https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/br...-lemon-risotto

This article just changed these guy's lives and this business. Major props to them for staying the course here in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    This article just changed these guy's lives and this business. Major props to them for staying the course here in OKC.
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Yeah... I was looking at it yesterday as an option for my girlfriend's birthday. Checked back this morning and every available reservation on the website is full lol, guess we will try Red Prime!
    Try the Bon Appetit Recipe. It's so easy a caveman can do it. Then wash the dishes, pots and pans. She will love you for it. =~)

Thread Information