Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outback

Default Outback

Outback Steakhouse planning new concept restaurant in North OKC

As a part of aggressive expansion plans, Outback Steakhouse has filed plans to build a new location in North Oklahoma City.

The plans clearly indicate 'relocation', which may imply the closing of the long-standing Edmond Outback at 3600 Broadway Extension which opened in the mid-90's.

However, an official with Outback replied to an email inquiry, "I am unable to confirm any plans for Oklahoma City at this time, but I can tell you we are interested in the area".

The plans also clearly show the location to be on the south side of Memorial Road near Quail Springs Mall.

The parent of Outback, Bloomin' Brands Inc., went public in 2012 to raise capital to refresh and expand the popular steakhouse as well as its other brands, Carrabba's, Bonefish Grill and Fleming's Steakhouse.

Outback unveiled a new restaurant design in 2015 to replace the ubiquitous Australian-style restaurants that have become well associated with the brand.

According to the Bloomin' Brands, their new restaurants feature “a 'Modern Australia' design with decor that mirrors the indigenous flora and fauna, adventure, geography, and leisure of modern day Australia. Guests will also enjoy a spacious bar area that is connected directly to the outdoor dining patio and features a community table, as well as customized seating and furnishings.”

Outback is based in Tampa, Florida and operates almost 1,000 locations in 23 countries.

Default Re: Outback

well... the upside is that outback removed "steakhouse" from their branding. that kind of stretched the boundaries of truth in advertising. : )

I've completely stopped paying attention (let alone custom) to the Memorial Corridor, is that the location that has been several restaurants but none have stuck around?

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    I've completely stopped paying attention (let alone custom) to the Memorial Corridor, is that the location that has been several restaurants but none have stuck around?
    You can see the cleared land in the images.

Believe it was just a parking lot before... This is a total new build.

"Relocation".... from where?

Quote Originally Posted by marky_d View Post
    "Relocation".... from where?
    I believe from the location on Broadway in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You can see the cleared land in the images.

Believe it was just a parking lot before... This is a total new build.
    Yes, I can, but didn't remember what was there before it was cleared. Thank you for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe from the location on Broadway in Edmond.
    And the theme of abandoned restaurants on south Broadway continues.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Yes, I can, but didn't remember what was there before it was cleared. Thank you for the clarification.
    Looking through the history of street view, it doesn't appear that there was ever anything between the Vitamin Shoppe and Skechers but parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    And the theme of abandoned restaurants on south Broadway continues.
    Right, just to the south is the old Bolton's Sports Grill and Nino's.

Both are empty.

It always felt like a weird stretch of road for restaurants for me.

The cleared land in the satellite image is actually the Sleep Number store that is next door to the Vitamin Shoppe. It has since been built and completed. I image the new Outback is actually going to the east of that in the parking lot.

I don't know about you guys, but I cannot WAIT for this. A bit of the 'ole taste of the Outback? Yes please!

I used to like Outback, but the last 5-6 times I've been they have royally messed up my steaks. Not worth messing with any more. They do still have a good burger, though.

It is interesting they are moving so close to Texas Roadhouse and Longhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I used to like Outback, but the last 5-6 times I've been they have royally messed up my steaks. Not worth messing with any more. They do still have a good burger, though.

It is interesting they are moving so close to Texas Roadhouse and Longhorn.
    Curious as to why you would keep going back so many times after they "royally messed up your steaks"? Personally, I give places about 2 tries and if they can't hack it, they're off the rotation/list pretty much forever since there's almost always an alternative to them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Curious as to why you would keep going back so many times after they "royally messed up your steaks"? Personally, I give places about 2 tries and if they can't hack it, they're off the rotation/list pretty much forever since there's almost always an alternative to them.
    Not all of those were my choice, and the Edmond location is by far the worst, so I would give them another shot. But I haven't been back for a couple of years now.

They filed their building permit today, so we should see work start soon.

Building permit finally approved and construction trailer should be on site soon if not already.

They have had a fence up and ground scraped for a few weeks now.

The Outback on NW Expressway near 63rd is getting a $450K renovation, according to a building permit application filed today.

21. Default Re: Outback

Actually went to the Edmond location last night - not my choice. Our son really likes the location in Tulsa near his home, so when he came into town with the grand baby we said we'd take them.

Noticed as we were walking in, two large signs out front that stated the Edmond location is closing in Aug. due to the new Memorial location.

I say, "good riddance." I ordered the prime rib and the wife had some other cut of steak. Son had the prime rib too.

My prime rib was cooked medium rare, but was very chewy and not flavorful. Wife had the same comments about her's. $100 meal that was maybe worth $30.

Good reminded why I have not patronized an Outback in years.

Want good prime rib in that area of Edmond for a decent price? Go to Charleston's across the street, IMO.

Outback has the BEST steaks!....nobody better.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    You've got to be kidding me right?? HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Default Re: Outback

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Waffle House steaks are better.

No I am NOT kidding...HA HA HA! Everybody has the right to their own opinion here. Just because somebody says Outback's steaks are bad, does not make Outback's steaks bad...only in that persons individual taste and opinion which I respect. I would appreciate it if you would do the same to me....don't judge and ridicule me because I enjoy Outback's steaks! Apparently a lot of people enjoy eating there.....there are over 1000 locations in 23+ countries. And if whoever really believes that Waffle House has better streaks, well more power to them.

Thread Information