Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - April 2017

1. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2017

Not much rain before work here in Norman. Since 7:30am we have had a ton of rain. Flooding all around!

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2017

My wife's boss is sending everyone home in anticipation of severe weather and a building-wide weather announcement was just made at my Southside high school. Basically a "we are monitoring the situation" type announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    My wife's boss is sending everyone home in anticipation of severe weather and a building-wide weather announcement was just made at my Southside high school. Basically a "we are monitoring the situation" type announcement.
    Is this in reference to today or next week?

double post.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Looks like we get a break for awhile then we are looking at another weather feature Thursday/Friday. The NWS was highlighting Friday this morning. Again, pretty meaningless 7 days out, but there will be something in the area right when we get to the peak of severe weather season. The risk is there until the high pressure builds in the summer.
    SPC seems quite worried about Friday. If it was Mike Morgan I would just blow it off, but the SPC using the kind of language they are using this far out is very concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Is this in reference to today or next week?
    This was today. I get the impression her boss is very sensitive to bad weather and doesn't like her employees going anywhere when there is weather.

I mean unless they are just looking for an excuse to leave for the weekend early. OKC is done with severe weather today.

8. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    SPC seems quite worried about Friday. If it was Mike Morgan I would just blow it off, but the SPC using the kind of language they are using this far out is very concerning.
    Don't get yourself all worked up, man. This doesn't have to be a miserable time of year. Take it one day at a time and be grateful. I come here for cool-headed wx info, not constant hand-wringing. A worried thought just doesn't help you, or anyone, or the situation.

Per wunderground reports, the most rain concentrated in the Edmond and El Reno areas with 3 to 5+" amounts. One amount was 5.6".

10. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2017

I was a little annoyed at News 9 covering the same two matters (flooding in the Deer Creek area and the downed utility poles on North May) for the entire hour during which The Price is Right was supposed to be on. If the incidents were rapidly evolving and life-threatening, I might understand the need to interrupt regularly scheduled programming for the sake of wall-to-wall coverage. But News 9's reporting on the same two issues was a bit overkill. Could not a news ticker at the bottom of the screen or very brief interruptions sufficiently communicate the same stories?

Aside from that, I was glad to see that our blackberry and grape trellises stayed upright through the storm, and I'm especially thankful for the much-needed rain.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Well that was doozy! May ave between 63rd and Wilshire got rekt!

My boss's house had some damage at it in Harrah, a couple trees blown over, flagpole knocked down and gate bent a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    My boss's house had some damage at it in Harrah, a couple trees blown over, flagpole knocked down and gate bent a bit.
    He is the owner of a business he should be able to afford to fix those things without a problem. Most working people would just have to cobble it back together as best they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    He is the owner of a business he should be able to afford to fix those things without a problem. Most working people would just have to cobble it back together as best they could.
    Um every boss is not a business owner

And not every business owner is rolling in cash.

Same ole, same ole. Aaron Brackett, Ch 4 weather dude, already hyping next Thurs and Friday as possible significant severe weather days.

Where the heck did this comment come from? Really?! WTH>?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Per wunderground reports, the most rain concentrated in the Edmond and El Reno areas with 3 to 5+" amounts. One amount was 5.6".
    Rainfall amounts mostly from Friday:

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Same ole, same ole. Aaron Brackett, Ch 4 weather dude, already hyping next Thurs and Friday as possible significant severe weather days.
    He was still doing it for the the 10 pm show.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Thursday and Friday are looking pretty ominous. There is still a lot of variables in play, but it very well could end up being a classic high-end central Oklahoma severe setup (think 5/31/13). We will need to wait a few more days though to get a better idea of how things will set up.

Thursday and Friday are looking pretty ominous. There is still a lot of variables in play, but it very well could end up being a classic high-end central Oklahoma severe setup (think 5/31/13). We will need to wait a few more days though to get a better idea of how things will set up.
    Just like this past Friday? They hyped it so much, I know people who stayed home from work. Let's wait til a little closer before crying wolf (at least the weathermen should).

bchris, calm down. Just today the models had this thing pushed further into eastern/South eastern Oklahoma. One of them as shifted back and the other is still a bit iffy for Friday. We're still so far out that each run will probably be a bit different. I know this stuff scares you, lots of people have a fear of it, especially after 2013. Naming dates only serves to enhance that fear, every event is different. Take one day at a time, and we'll start to know more in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Just like this past Friday? They hyped it so much, I know people who stayed home from work. Let's wait til a little closer before crying wolf (at least the weathermen should).
    That's just absurd. By 1-2 days before the last event the threat had clearly shifted a bit further south and east putting the metro out of the main threat. I didn't catch the latest updates from the TV media, but if they based that on the NWS forecast I'm not sure what else there is to say.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    The only one who really hyped it up is Morgan and even he back off the day before.

The NWS feels confident enough to give a 30 percent probability for Friday which is pretty impressive for 6 days out. That usually means we will have something in the central plains.

Are you a weatherman?

Thread Information