Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Hefner Boathouse

Default Re: Lake Hefner Boathouse

The city is now going to study the idea of allowing people to swim at Lake Hefner, Overholser and Draper.

Glad to see this *finally* being considered as whatever the issues may be, certainly they can be resolved.

The drinking water issue always comes up but it seems silly considering motor boats and all their pollution are allowed.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The city is now going to study the idea of allowing people to swim at Lake Hefner, Overholser and Draper.

Glad to see this *finally* being considered as whatever the issues may be, certainly they can be resolved.

The drinking water issue always comes up but it seems silly considering motor boats and all their pollution are allowed.

I
    My initial reaction is that sounds pretty cool.

Plus with from what is picked up in runoff, most anything of concern a human might add to the lake is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Plus with from what is picked up in runoff, most anything of concern a human might add to the lake is already there.
    Right.

And it's not like they don't treat and purify the water anyway.

Will be very interested to see what the study says.

While I hope swimming will be permitted - at the same time I wonder how much trash it could bring. It's a shame that some people don't pick up after themselves around water. If you've ever seen lake locations after a big weekend you know how much debris lake people can bring. If swimming is allowed I hope the city has enough personnel to keep places picked up and clean.

I've been to some of our state lakes and recreation areas when there are tons of people. Anyone been to Turner Falls on a holiday lately?. Completely over run and pretty nasty. That's why I would be against this policy change.

However, if it's decided to allow people to swim in these three municipal water supplies, then the city should charge them an admission fee to do so. You already have to have a license for a boat or personal water craft, and fishing. So why not for swimming. At least there could be a revenue stream created from it.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I've been to some of our state lakes and recreation areas when there are tons of people. Anyone been to Turner Falls on a holiday lately?. Completely over run and pretty nasty. That's why I would be against this policy change.

However, if it's decided to allow people to swim in these three municipal water supplies, then the city should charge them an admission fee to do so. You already have to have a license for a boat or personal water craft, and fishing. So why not for swimming. At least there could be a revenue stream created from it.
    Admission fees are difficult. Just do a paid parking lot.

^^ There you go. Just like Arcadia lake. Have a designated swimming area and you have to pay to gain access. There would have to be some kind of control or it would be a huge mistake.

Would be a cool if we could import some sand and build a beach. Good maps project.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Would be a cool if we could import some sand and build a beach. Good maps project.
    Good point!

This could be done at Thunderbird & Arcadia. They would have to add more sand on occasions as rain and drainage would wash much of it into the lakes. City could pilot one of its 3 major lakes (Hefner, Draper or Overholser) before a decision could be made for all three.

How about the Oklahoma River, could it be used to experiment with a beach-like setting in a designated area; what about the area beneath the proposed ADG pedestrian bridge on the Oklahoma River?

Import a lot of sand, build sand volleyball courts, and add some type of bar/restaurant and you'll have a popular hangout spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Good point!

This could be done at Thunderbird & Arcadia. They would have to add more sand on occasions as rain and drainage would wash much of it into the lakes. City could pilot one of its 3 major lakes (Hefner, Draper or Overholser) before a decision could be made for all three.

How about the Oklahoma River, could it be used to experiment with a beach-like setting in a designated area; what about the area beneath the proposed ADG pedestrian bridge on the Oklahoma River?
    The Oklahoma River is highly contaminated due to runoff in general and in particular from the stockyards.

They held a triathlon there a few years ago and tons of people got sick.

Unfortunately, people are never going to be allowed in the water, other than in boats.

The Oklahoma River is highly contaminated due to runoff in general and in particular from the stockyards.

They held a triathlon there a few years ago and tons of people got sick.

Unfortunately, people are never going to be allowed in the water, other than in boats.
    Yup. When I rowed on that river I had many teammates get ear infections due to water being splashed while training and competing. This river is somewhat polluted and is made worse by the fact that there isn't much flow to it which gives it the brown color that we know and love. The river could be greatly improved if they had a way to increase its flow but I know that there isn't always enough water upstream to create that. This isn't just an issue for us though, I've rowed in many different cities that would have similar issues and each place has their own challenges.

Ironically, the fact the river is pretty much stagnant with completely controllable water levels is one of the big reasons it's such a great rowing venue in the first place.

So much potential here.

It's too bad you can't have powerboats on there.

17. Default Re: Lake Hefner Boathouse

^^^^
    But that's not true though. No swimming, skiing or personal watercraft but power boats are absolutely allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^
    But that's not true though. No swimming, skiing or personal watercraft but power boats are absolutely allowed.
    That must have changed then and if so they should advertise it. I remember trying to take my old boat out there and I can't remember if it was lake patrol or what said couldn't have powerboats because they created wake and it was a no wake lake. I've never seen anything out there that wasn't a sail boat but to be honest I'm not up there much.

https://www.okc.gov/departments/park...ishing/boating

Lake Hefner:

All watercraft are permitted, except for engine-propelled personal watercraft under 12'
    Wakes allowed in open areas only, and not within 150' of other watercraft, 150' from any boat ramps or docks, or 100' from shorelines
    No swimming or water skiing allowed
    Boat ramps are located at the City Boat Harbor and the Lake Patrol Station near the southwest side of the lake

I went to the site and read about that after I saw his message. Interesting that has changed. I'd be interested in renting a covered slip for my pontoon out there cause right now it's getting no use. Problem looks like they are V slips but I can always back the boat in.

Of course the very successful Redman Triathlon is held here every year, and the first leg - a 2.4 mile swim - is in Lake Hefner. It is a great event both for triathletes and our city. The 2017 Redman will be on Saturday, September 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I went to the site and read about that after I saw his message. Interesting that has changed. I'd be interested in renting a covered slip for my pontoon out there cause right now it's getting no use. Problem looks like they are V slips but I can always back the boat in.

I would recommend doing that. We really enjoy going for a cruise, docking at the east warf, eating dinner, then watching the sun go down as we cruise back to the harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron42 View Post
    I would recommend doing that. We really enjoy going for a cruise, docking at the east warf, eating dinner, then watching the sun go down as we cruise back to the harbor.
    Yes this sounds very much like something we would enjoy. I called yesterday to inquire on a slip and they said they had several available in the smaller sizes, which is exactly what I was looking for. I plan to go scope it out maybe this weekend or next, but I'm guessing I'll be getting one. Can you attest to them all being V shaped in the front or do they have both? This isn't a deal breaker but would be nice to have the option.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron42 View Post
    Do you have a pontoon boat?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Do you have a pontoon boat?
    I'm the one with a pontoon not sure if that's what you meant, just figured I'd chime in.

Thread Information