Widgets Magazine

Thread: Bug Ridden Ads

1. Default Bug Ridden Ads

I'm not sure which one it is, but there is a certain combination of ads that causes issues (attached image). When they are all present, the cursor will pop out of the comments box repeatedly at regular intervals. I suspect it's from the top ad not loading properly. But you have to continually click back in the comment box to get your cursor back. Just something to pass on.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ads.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	13701

Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

I think this happened to me a couple times before I got my new computer. Possibly something with your computer/internet speed.

3. Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

Only happens when i see these particular ads in combination. I mostly post when i first get to work, so i've tested this from other systems at the office (and my home PC/laptop). Seems to follow those ads and only happens on this site. Can verify not the ISP either since it only happens, again, when those ads appear. Work ISP vs home vs aircard so three different vendors too.

I'm an IT professional, so i did my homework first

4. Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

I verified this again today. And can narrow it down to the banner ad at the top of the page. Any time i see this ad load, it doesn't seem to load correctly and cycles over and over. Every time it cycles, we get the problem. We need to have this passed on to the forum host so they can have it removed or corrected.

5. Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

I have the same issue. That top long black ad just seems to take your courser off of text boxes as you are typing. If you click the x in the left corner it goes away and gives you freedom until it gets loaded on another page.

6. Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

Which browser are you using. I've never experienced this behavior with Firefox.

7. Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

as i said before, IE, FF, and Chrome. It's the code in the ad not the browser. That specific ad has to load for this to be a problem. It's not the first time a malicious or malformed ad has posted here. Just part of the ad service not doing their part to check them.

8. Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    as i said before, IE, FF, and Chrome. It's the code in the ad not the browser. That specific ad has to load for this to be a problem. It's not the first time a malicious or malformed ad has posted here. Just part of the ad service not doing their part to check them.
    Well actually you never said before but it doesn't happen to me.... I do have an adblocker running so maybe it's blocking that ad.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Well actually you never said before but it doesn't happen to me.... I do have an adblocker running so maybe it's blocking that ad.
    I never have those ad problems, but I also run adblocker in all my browsers are work and home.

10. Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

I'm on chrome and It's still going on. It makes sense you wouldn't have the issue since you are blocking the very thing that's causing the issue.

11. Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    I'm on chrome and It's still going on. It makes sense you wouldn't have the issue since you are blocking the very thing that's causing the issue.
    My adblocker doesn't block all ads. I still see an occasional banner ad at the top of the page and the two on the side on this site... But it's apparently blocking malicious/poorly coded ads because I was having another issue with an ad on this page popping up another tab and that has not happened since I activated the ad blocker.

I also haven't gotten the bogus "YOU NEED TO UPDATE FIREFOX" pop up since activating it.... Can't remember if that one ever triggered here or not.

12. Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

But now that I think about it... My ad blocker shows me how many ads it blocks from a page and I've seen it counting up to as high as 31 on the OKCTalk front page.... Wonder if it was repeatedly blocking this troublesome ad some of you are having an issue with.

13. Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    But now that I think about it... My ad blocker shows me how many ads it blocks from a page and I've seen it counting up to as high as 31 on the OKCTalk front page.... Wonder if it was repeatedly blocking this troublesome ad some of you are having an issue with.
    Not all of those are ads, some of it is scripts, cookies, etc that are being blocked. You are probably using Ublock Origin, you can look to see what is being blocked.

I've been having this problem off and on too. Especially today. There's one flash ad that tries to play (I don't even have flash) so it tries over and over again and makes typing impossible since it steals focus. I have to refresh to be able to post when it loads. I leave ad blocker off because I want to support the site, but I'm gonna change it if this continues.

I started having the problem late last year with this site breaking my browser on PCs at work and at home. I let Pete know, who at the time said I was the only one reporting it. I updated everything I could think to update. Finally installed an ad-blocker and it went away.

It's not OKCTalk, it's the Google Ad Service and it happens on other sites too.

I've had the occasional problem but nothing severe.

And for those of you using ad blockers, it does deny the site revenue.

I get that, and I mentioned that in the message to you IIRC. Restarting the computer is about the only way I could find to recover when it happened, which was much too frequently and a PITA.

But I'll also note, I turned off the ad-blocker everywhere a few weeks ago to access another site, have left it off and have not had the issue here since.

(Disabled at home anyway. It may still be running on my work PC.)

19. Default Re: Bug Ridden Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's not OKCTalk, it's the Google Ad Service and it happens on other sites too.

I've had the occasional problem but nothing severe.

And for those of you using ad blockers, it does deny the site revenue.
    My work uses Bluecoat and has filters on it that blocks a bunch of the ad networks, especially those who have been known to have bad ad practices and they block a lot of the js ads as well since they are known to be easily compromised and taken advantage of by zero days. My job is getting stricter and stricter on these filters. 99% of the time I browse here at work. Currently seeing the Google ad network on the site, but don't know for how long and I know a lot of the cross scripting is blocked on the firewall from what my website looks like at work compared to at home. Sometimes ad blocking is out of a users control. I hope you don't block access to the site if someone has ad blocking enabled. There are some sites that I can't go to, or are a big pita because of those ad blocking sensing scripts.

Thread Information