Widgets Magazine

Thread: Elk Valley Brewery

Midtown Elk Valley Brewery

They will be taking the south end of the old Uptown Theater at 1212 N. Hudson.

It has been previously announced that a law firm will take the north end. Like the law firm, the space for Elk Valley will be expanded to the east with new construction.

Article from the Oklahoman:

http://newsok.com/brewery-on-tap-for...rticle/5541696

2. Default Re: Elk Valley Brewery

Elk Valley just closed for good.

Announced on Twitter

Default Re: Elk Valley Brewery

They will still brew beer, just no taproom.

Not sure if they'll continue to brew at the same spot or move to a new facility and let another brewery take their existing setup. Seems like an expensive space when you could just go brew out of a warehouse somewhere.

From Facebook:

We've not only come to the end of 2022, but we've also come to the end of an era with our taproom location at 1210 N. Hudson. When the doors closed at 9pm tonight, the key was turned and the Closed sign was flipped for the last time.

Elk Valley will still be on your favorite shelves and we are happy to keep that going. I want to thank you all for your support through the years. I love all of you and I am thankful for many of the friends I've made during this journey.
    John Elkins III, Owner & Brewmaster

4. Default Re: Elk Valley Brewery

Yeah, that's the silver lining, still distributing beer. Would be great if another brewery takes that space.

This closure happens within weeks of construction starting on the office building immediately to the south, which will block the view from their rooftop patio.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This closure happens within weeks of construction starting on the office building immediately to the south, which will block the view from their rooftop patio.
    And took away parking ...

7. Default Re: Elk Valley Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post
    I love their beers but the taproom experience left a little to be desired. Are they still producing, especially Tenkiller and Firefly? Those brews are tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I love their beers but the taproom experience left a little to be desired. Are they still producing, especially Tenkiller and Firefly? Those brews are tasty!
    I believe that John is contract brewing somewhere, that or he sold a couple of recipes. Still should see a couple of core beers in distro moving forward.

John is a brilliant brewer, but they really didn't focus on the tap room as much and it showed. They got a lot of business due to the parking lot being at a streetcar stop, a lot of brewery hopping, once that went away, it was the nail in the coffin.

I just don't understand why there are no restaurants in any of these breweries. It is a wasted opportunity. Especially since you can incorporate beer into the menu. I'm sure there are some outdated laws causing this, but it just feels like a missed opportunity.

^

Twisted Spike has tried several operators and the first two went out. Looks like they now host Barley & Bees: https://www.barleyandbees.com/

Fair Weather Friend makes pizzas and a few other things.

Most taprooms are not open for lunch and not many places can make it with dinner-only hours.

I think Prairie Ales has a really nice setup with the adjoining Vietnamese place.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I just don't understand why there are no restaurants in any of these breweries. It is a wasted opportunity. Especially since you can incorporate beer into the menu. I'm sure there are some outdated laws causing this, but it just feels like a missed opportunity.
    Cross Cannons Brewery is a veteran owned establishment in Norman serving hot food and cold beers both.

12. Default Re: Elk Valley Brewery

For sure check out the tap rooms on Main street in Norman. A lot of them work with the local restaurants around and have it delivered for free. At BIG they have a little QR code to order NashBirds next door and it comes right over. I like the idea of these small places working together. Great food options.

me and a group of friends brewery hop every other Saturday. we had started skipping Elk Valley even though many enjoyed their mead. They seemed to have problems keeping good staff that were friendly.
    on the food front especially weekends many have food trucks and don't sleep on the pizza at fair weather friends. We all love the pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    the taproom experience left a little to be desired.!
    it was bad from basically day 1

I never liked the vibe of the tap room and the beers weren't good enough to make me want to stay...rooftop patio was brutal in the summertime too.

I would assume a brewery would be the last type of business that would require a large parking lot for its customers just to stay in business. Or at least I would hope...

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    I would assume a brewery would be the last type of business that would require a large parking lot for its customers just to stay in business. Or at least I would hope...
    how do you think most people in OKC get EVERYWHERE ??

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    how do you think most people in OKC get EVERYWHERE ??
    It's a brewery...

It's a brewery...
    I take your point and yes, ideally people are using Uber or a sober driver. I never had any trouble with street parking there, plus the street car stop is right there. Their canned beers like Head Pains and Magic Juice are fantastic and I always got great service at the bar counter, friendly chatty folks.
    Unlike, say, Ned's Starlite Lounge.😂

It's a brewery...
    and?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    and?
    And what?

Craft beer breweries have taprooms. Going to the taproom, you get access to beers that have just been released and are unavailable anywhere else.

Craft beer breweries have taprooms. Going to the taproom, you get access to beers that have just been released and are unavailable anywhere else.
    That has been my experience as well.

Elk Valley has been teasing a return according to their Facebook posts today. I don't know in what form that's going to take place, but they said to follow their Instagram for further updates.

Something called the Goose Deli is taking this spot.

Thread Information