Widgets Magazine

Thread: Yukon Economic Development Authority

Yukon Yukon Economic Development Authority

I've never paid much attention to Yukon's economic development. There are always rumors of projects and few of them come to life. So I usually just wait until something is built and open to pay attention to it.

Anyway, since the sports complex issue came up I've been doing quite a bit of reading and research. I wondered if anyone here had any insight on these questions.

First, what happened to the Prairie West development? It seemed further along in the process than most rumored projects. It looks like there's a Frisco Rd area TIF district in place to help fund infrastructure for it, but nothing ever happened. Could that money go toward helping to pay off the complex land?

Second, why has the economic development authority not met since Jan. 2016?

Default Re: Yukon Economic Development Authority

I really thought there was an existing thread for this, but looks like they've talked about the Frisco Road enhancement some more. I know originally this was needed to get Crest over there, looks like it's slated for 2020.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meeti...esentation.pdf

I was wondering what the status of this was. I'd really like to see both Yukon and El Reno take off with development and Frisco Road is an essential part of that. It's a shame that the voters turned down that athletic complex. That's just mind boggling for me to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I was wondering what the status of this was. I'd really like to see both Yukon and El Reno take off with development and Frisco Road is an essential part of that. It's a shame that the voters turned down that athletic complex. That's just mind boggling for me to understand.
    Given that the athletic complex vote failing is in a track record with a similar one on the other side of town failing like three times in a decade, they either need to look more into what people actually want from their parks or do better about convincing people of benefit of the athletic mega parks they keep proposing. There is certainly arguments for alternate options like doing more local parks than one concentrated mega park distant from most everyone and/or maintaining the parks they already have around town to a higher standard.

Plus given how statistics for monetary benefits of projects like these also have a highly dubious record. Generally being produced by either the companies that profit from their construction, their management and/or governments that just want one built; often being entirely unrealistic. I do not hold it against people for being skeptical of their claims about it.

First off, this came about at a time when Yukon had a terrible (more than likely crooked) city manager. He was promoting this project was going to be built free of charge to the citizens, due to the tax revenue it would bring in. When it came to light, my ad valorem tax would increase around $200.00 a year for umpteen years. No Thanks. They should start small and build it up over a longer time period. After the fiasco of city finances by a dictator of a city manager, there was no trust. It was doomed from the get go.

Thread Information