Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Football 2017

Default Re: Big 12 Football 2017

Oh yea. I think this is awesome for my sooners.....but is it just me or should they have included OUr women's softball team in the Jordan brand too? Its not like they haven't won back-back championships ya know? Oh and Im really curious how much Jordan paid us to do this. Word is Michigan was paid like $174 mil. Sheesh, that's a lot of money!

Boomer sooner baby!

Really disappointed in Lincoln Riley's playcalling in the 2nd half + overtime. OU's defense was horrible as expected, but there were several chances to still win the game but the opportunity was never put in the Heisman's hands.

Such a shame.

Blog Entries

Well, maybe we could fix our budget, and schools, and consider ourselves winners.............

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Really disappointed in Lincoln Riley's playcalling in the 2nd half + overtime. OU's defense was horrible as expected, but there were several chances to still win the game but the opportunity was never put in the Heisman's hands.

Such a shame.
    Maybe its just me but the play calling really took a turn for the conservative side in the 2nd half especially in the 4th and the overtimes. I thought Lincoln Riley was doing a great impression of Bob Stoops.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the 2nd half and OT were just really odd on OU's behalf.

Did they pull Baker during OT? I swear I saw numerous pass plays that were WAY off.

Quote Originally Posted by skwillz View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the 2nd half and OT were just really odd on OU's behalf.

Did they pull Baker during OT? I swear I saw numerous pass plays that were WAY off.
    Im with you on that one. Something seemed off during the overtimes almost like either he was hurt or just out of gas. They were just content with running very vanilla plays. I saw no creativity or trick plays like i did in the first half and the pass plays were way off.

Just left Rose Bowl. Sooners played hard but not always well. Defense once again was our primary shortfall, too slow to match the speed of GA backs (see long runs). OK or any team that cannot hold a 17 or lead is simply not elite enough to win a N.C. I will reiterate my past positions, MS should be replaced and OU should leave the Big 12. The conference is not competitive and gives the winner a false sense of goodness for lack of a better word. Spoke with many disappointed OU fans.

How odd they’ll be playing the SEC championship game so late in the season.

10. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    How odd they’ll be playing the SEC championship game so late in the season.
    I'm declaring UCF the National Champions... They destroyed a team that beat both the teams playing for it this season.

SEC is King Of College Football and it's not even close. Bama will win it all again. Some things never change and the sec being the best proves that. Even the lower rated sec teams are prob better than the better teams in other conferences. It's just the way it is and has been. It seems that most sec teams playing in the minor bowls don't care/try to win. Don't understand that.

The Big 10 lost like one bowl game, tho

Blog Entries

OU Re: Big 12 Football 2017

Great game! Want to commend the players, coaches & fans for their outstanding job representing the University of Oklahoma. The exposure should provide for future potential recruits.

Two items that OU needs to improve on:

1. Need an additional kicker, one person can handle the kick off, punting, extra point & field goal chores.
    2. Need a skilled offensive coordinator who can relieve him (Lincoln Riley) of having to focus on too many aspects of the game.

We had a good recruiting class of incoming players for 2018; so we should be back.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    SEC is King Of College Football and it's not even close. Bama will win it all again. Some things never change and the sec being the best proves that. Even the lower rated sec teams are prob better than the better teams in other conferences. It's just the way it is and has been. It seems that most sec teams playing in the minor bowls don't care/try to win. Don't understand that.
    The higher rated teams (Auburn) aren't even decidedly better than better teams in weak conferences (UCF). Alabama and Georgia are exceptional programs this season. The SEC is not decidedly the best conference, they just happen to be the conference that the best two teams (barely) play in.

LSU lost to Notre Dame. Meh.
    Missouri got ran over by Texas. Two middling programs in their respective conferences.
    Kentucky lost to Northwestern. I don't care how good Northwestern is getting, loosing to them should always be an embarrassment.
    A&M Lost to Wake Forrest...in football.

Mississippi State did come back to beat Louisville (about middle of pack in the ACC).

I'm not saying this is terrible, just that your "theory" may need some reevaluating.

Taking nothing from Georgia, because I was impressed with their resolve for sure, they were a play or two from heading home against an OU team that obviously had some flaws (see ISU game).

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    It seems that most sec teams playing in the minor bowls don't care/try to win. Don't understand that.
    Pretty easy. They play to win championships. If a championship is not on the line, the attitude is "meh".

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I'm declaring UCF the National Champions... They destroyed a team that beat both the teams playing for it this season.
    This will be a long-standing example for why scheduling matters. If your most impressive win is in a Bowl you won't be in contention.

17. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2017

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    This will be a long-standing example for why scheduling matters. If your most impressive win is in a Bowl you won't be in contention.
    No... it's an example of why they need to expand to an 8 team playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    No... it's an example of why they need to expand to an 8 team playoff.
    Maybe, but not sure if would have changed much. The committee still needs to have a better idea of how you can play before the playoffs.

Now to be clear, I support expanding to an 8 team playoff. But you're still gonna have teams fall one or two spots outside. Unless a couple of Cinderella spots were held for group of 5 schools.

I would still like to see an 8 team, with conference champs in 5 spots, and the other three spots reserved for non-Power 5 schools, like UCF, Notre Dame, etc.

It would make conference play mean something, and the conference championship games also mean much more. And it's more democratic. It spreads the wealth to other conferences.

But I know it would never happen.

I think without a system like that in place it could actually hurt the non power 5 schools. UCF was ranked 12th in the playoff rankings. They wouldn't have gotten a high profile game against Auburn with a straight top 8 system.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Now to be clear, I support expanding to an 8 team playoff. But you're still gonna have teams fall one or two spots outside. Unless a couple of Cinderella spots were held for group of 5 schools.
    8 teams can cover all bases. 5 conference champions, 1 Group of 5 team, and 2 at-large spots. First round is home field advantage and next two rounds are neutral sites. Under this scenario, it would have addressed both of the problems from this season (Ohio State and UCF).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I would still like to see an 8 team, with conference champs in 5 spots, and the other three spots reserved for non-Power 5 schools, like UCF, Notre Dame, etc.

It would make conference play mean something, and the conference championship games also mean much more. And it's more democratic. It spreads the wealth to other conferences.

But I know it would never happen.
    So, you'd leave out Alabama under this scenario? They're probably about to win the national championship.

In Bowl games sometime coach may not give their seniors a lot of playing time A true test of how good a conference is how many players are being drafted and making NFL teams. ACC, SEC and Big 10 for last 20 years have put more players in the league over Big 12 talent it not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    So, you'd leave out Alabama under this scenario? They're probably about to win the national championship.
    If the championship was reserved for who was on a role at the right time I would have suggested a 16 or 32 team field. But my impression it is the totality of the season that matters. If you can't even win your own conference, I don't feel sorry for you if you feel left out.

My whole goal would be to eliminate human judgement when selections are made. Championships are unbiased.

Thread Information