Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warren Theater North OKC

Northeast OKC Warren Theater North OKC

I've known for a while that Warren is planning to build a smaller, more upscale theater in a new center to be constructed on on the southwest corner of the Kilpatrick Turnpike and N. Eastern.

I'll add more in a minute, as I'm in a meeting.

Default Re: Warren Theater North OKC

The theater is to be part of a larger development called Eastern Ridge.

There will be more retail but lots of office as well. The site is challenging due to various creeks.

The property was recently purchased by the Chickasaws and I believe it will be developed on their behalf by Sooner Investments, the same group doing the Warren in Midwest City.

Sooner is also the developer of massive University Town Center in Norman (NE corner of I-35 and Robinson) and they are doing that project while OU actually owns the land.

They typically do really nice work as do the Chickasaws.

This project is actually in Oklahoma City and my understanding is that they have been working on financial incentives, as they did in Moore and Midwest City.

Warren first considered other sites including one near Memorial & Santa Fe before deciding on this location.

The AMC theater at Quail Springs has a 3-mile radius where competing theaters cannot operate, which is why Warren originally looked at going to MacArthur and Memorial before switching their focus to sites closer to Edmond but outside that 3-mile distance.

This project was originally to be a residential development with large lots but after putting in several streets the owners sold off to the Chickasaws.

Looks like Channel 9 is going to have a story about this at 6PM.

Sweet, I considered the Warren more upscale relative to other theatres in OKC. Second only to the renovated AMC's

Basically in my backyard! Woot!

2Lanez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The AMC theater at Quail Springs has a 3-mile radius where competing theaters cannot operate.
    How does this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lanez View Post
    How does this happen?
    That is a good question.

Not sure how that is enforced but it's the reason there are no other theaters on the Memorial corridor.

I would think between this and the showbiz cinemas, Kickingbird in Edmond would have a hard time staying open.

Blog Entries

Pete is there an ETA on completion? If you have never been, Warren is just a great experience. I'm the tight a$$ at our house, and wouldn't pony up the $ to sit in the balcony/dinner area until my wife made me. Its not pretty much were we sit most of the time now. Food is pretty decent as well.

Do you think this Warren Theatre will be like theatres such as Studio Movie Grill, Alamo Drafthouse, Movie Tavern, etc....where the entire theatre is like the balcony at the Warren?

It's one of the things I've enjoyed about living in DFW the last few years. You don't have to pay extra to have the "balcony" experience at SMG, Alamo, or Movie Tavern because the entire theatre has waiter service.

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    Do you think this Warren Theatre will be like theatres such as Studio Movie Grill, Alamo Drafthouse, Movie Tavern, etc....where the entire theatre is like the balcony at the Warren?

It's one of the things I've enjoyed about living in DFW the last few years. You don't have to pay extra to have the "balcony" experience at SMG, Alamo, or Movie Tavern because the entire theatre has waiter service.
    Yes.

My understanding is that the theaters will be smaller but will have more amenities and be different than anything Warren has done before.

Not sure of the exact details but you can tell by the footprint and relatively small amount of parking that this will be quite different than Moore or even MWC.

That is a good question.

Not sure how that is enforced but it's the reason there are no other theaters on the Memorial corridor.
    This would eliminate any possibility of a theatre at Chisolm Creek.

I was trying to do a little research on all their different theatres and the smallest I saw was a 7 screen one in Whicita that had full service for all the screnes, I believe. If it's something similar to that then it will really fill a need for the north side for a nicer movie experience that really only Penn sqaure provides to an extent.

14. Default Re: Warren Theater North OKC

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lanez View Post
    How does this happen?
    First screen rights would be my guess. Other theaters can go in, but they can't show the newest movies. AMC is notorious for having deals with the major studios to be the sole screener in an area for X weeks. Warren ran into the same issue down in Norman before going to Moore because the Hollywood theater wouldn't sell their first screen rights, then decided to ask for an insane amount of money, which made Warren pick Moore and the Hollywood crumbled instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    I was trying to do a little research on all their different theatres and the smallest I saw was a 7 screen one in Whicita that had full service for all the screnes, I believe. If it's something similar to that then it will really fill a need for the north side for a nicer movie experience that really only Penn sqaure provides to an extent.
    I believe that is the closest current model to what they will be doing at Eastern Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    First screen rights would be my guess. Other theaters can go in, but they can't show the newest movies. AMC is notorious for having deals with the major studios to be the sole screener in an area for X weeks. Warren ran into the same issue down in Norman before going to Moore because the Hollywood theater wouldn't sell their first screen rights, then decided to ask for an insane amount of money, which made Warren pick Moore and the Hollywood crumbled instantly.
    Exactly. They're called ‘clearance agreements’, and AMC, Regal, and Cinemark all have them with the studios, and they limit the number of screenings movies from the major studios can have in certain regions. So if you're a small, independent theatre, you're out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Exactly. They're called ‘clearance agreements’, and AMC, Tinseltown, and Cinemark all have them with the studios, and they limit the number of screenings movies from the major studios can have in certain regions. So if you're a small, independent theatre, you're out of luck.
    I wonder why this is so common in OKC? What is the benefit to the studios?

I know in California there is absolutely nothing like that because you would have theaters right across the street from each other.

I wonder why this is some common in OKC? What is the benefit to the studios?

I know in California there is absolutely nothing like that because you would have theaters right across the street from each other.
    They exist in some form or another everywhere I have ever lived.

Now I will say in some large cities the agreements are a little different. And not just limited to one theatre but would limit the total number of first run screens in an area based on the population

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    They exist in some form or another everywhere I have ever lived.

Now I will say in some large cities the agreements are a little different. And not just limited to one theatre but would limit the total number of first run screens in an area based on the population
    But I guarantee those restrictions were way, way more lax in Cali because I lived in a city of 125,000 and there were two huge first-run theaters right across the street from each other and they would frequently be showing the same films.

The net result is that OKC only has one major movie theater on the entire north / northwest / far north side and that sucks for everyone.

I wonder why this is some common in OKC? What is the benefit to the studios?

This is nation wide. There have been lawsuits about it. Clearances are a big thing in the industry.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/20th-cen...ng-1201729061/

https://consumerist.com/2015/12/17/1...st-violations/

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...512-story.html

It's possible to have theaters near each other, depending on their agreements (say their clearance agreement merely says there can only be 4 screenings in a 3 miles radius, and there are two theatres with 2 screens each - from what I understand screen count matters too). AMC may have secured a 3 mile radius clearance with certain studios. I'd be shocked if it's for everything though. Studios also make clearance decisions on a film by film basis.

But I guarantee those restrictions were way, way more lax in Cali because I lived in a city of 125,000 and there were two huge first-run theaters right across the street from each other and they would frequently be showing the same films.
    Well, and it also makes sense since Cali is the center of the universe for the film industry.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Well, and it also makes sense since Cali is the center of the universe for the film industry.
    Why would that matter?

It's still the same economics.

Why would that matter?

It's still the same economics.
    Figured they might be more generous... although it seems like issues still come up there -

Since 2002, when Century acquired the River Multiplex in Rancho Mirage, CA, it allegedly cannibalized first-run titles available to Flagship’s 10-screen cinema, The Palme D’Or — owned by Oscar nominee Bryan Cranston; ESPN radio host Steve Mason; Brian Tabor; producer Alise Benjamin-Mauritzson (Ray); and her husband, Andreas Mauritzson — a Palm Desert, CA theater that’s two miles down the road on Highway 111. At the start of their trial, The Palme was shut out from playing Sony’s The Da Vinci Code in 2006, despite offering better terms to the studio than the River. Flagship Palm Desert regularly offered to open films on three screens and guaranteed three months on screen (which The River couldn’t offer) and Sony still accepted lesser offers from Cinemark.
    and

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...lawsuit-743718

Blog Entries

It’s not that they can’t be next to each other, but AMC would likely get first pick as the larger chain. This happens in Tulsa where there’s a 20 screen AMC across the street from a 12 Screen Regal Theater in Promenade Mall at 41st and Yale. The two theaters never show the same movies.

I've wondered what would happen if the studios called the chains' bluff. I mean, would AMC really not carry the biggest blockbusters because they didn't have exclusivity?

Thread Information