Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Will Rogers Bike Path

Default Re: Will Rogers Bike Path

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Pete - Can you send me a press release or the announcement of the water stop? I'd like to share among local bike groups.
    It's out on Twitter and Instagram under OKCTalk, complete with a quote from the parks & rec director.

Feel free to share or share this post:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...96#post1033496

I hate to be the type of person to complain about stuff like this, but I just noticed tonight how overgrown the grass around the trail is. All the way from Meridian to the stretch along NW Expwy (which is all I saw) had weeds that were multiple feet high. Anyone know how often the city mows these areas?

This is concerning the West River Trails (couldn't find where to post), but it appears the section just south of 10th street is closed and will be for up to a few months, judging from some comments I've read on a local cycling Facebook page. Some major sewer/sinkhole damage is in need of repair and it could be an extensive project. Here is a KFOR story on the damaged area that is being closed - https://kfor.com/2018/07/23/hole-on-...ed-for-safety/

Major bummer as this is by far one of the most popular (and safest) cycling routes in the city.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C70B11B8-C8B1-4CDE-91B0-B46E75FC0F1A.jpeg 
Views:	172 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	14819
    The blue line shows the closed area of the trail.
    The red circle shows the portion of the trail where pipe is being replaced.
    The blue circle shows the Reno Ave. parking lot with trail access.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

The church on the SWC of 50th/I-44 has put up a gazebo and bike rack for "friends on the trail". Not sure if that porta potty was intended for those friends or if it's due to construction in the area.

Name:	IMG_20181016_125235833_HDR-cropped.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	14959

Blog Entries

From Facebook, 56/Grand rest stop:

Name:	48407426_2161694900541378_549037145600294912_n.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	15096

OKC Council considers spending thousands on public art

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record January 28, 2019

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Oklahoma City Council is expected to approve multi-piece art installation along the Oklahoma River for a cost of $70,000 Tuesday.

Council members will also be asked for $53,000 for other commissions and acquisitions of public art. The projects are part of a commitment city leaders made to beautification nearly 10 years ago, which has produced dozens of art installations in public spaces. Those pieces, primarily sculptures, can be found at sites such as the zoo, Will Rogers World Airport, the Bricktown Canal and numerous parks.

The largest item to be considered on the council’s agenda, Glacial Erratics, will be put on permanent display near 6901 SW 15th St., along the MAPS 3 West River Trail. Artist Klint Schor said the work – which looks like several large boulders among the park’s small trees – is intended to convey the passage of nature and the change it leaves in its wake.

“They are of, and apart from, nature,” Schor said. “I didn’t really want to create anything incongruous in that space. I see the composition in terms of quiet sculpture, more in line with a musical composition by Erik Satie, a minimalist vein where each note has plenty of time to linger and be heard on its own. With the boulders, the hope is that we haven’t finished the composition … each can be appreciated by itself, leading to the next, and all together.”

Glacial Erratics and other works like it are made possible by the city’s 1 Percent for Art ordinance, which requires 1 percent of the construction budget for public projects be spent on public art. The City Council updated guidelines for the ordinance in 2015, which led to a new master plan, Amp Up OKC, that outlined 13 objectives focused on the creation, presentation and promotion of art with the goal of inspiring and communicating the city’s commitment to the social, economic and cultural well-being of residents.

City Hall’s arts and cultural affairs liaison, Robbie Kienzle, said another ordinance update is planned early this year. In addition to being expensed through the city’s own art fund, works also can be accepted as gifts. Each installation is protected against accidents, vandalism and theft by insurance policy, she said.

“Sometimes we’ll receive a donation and have to wait for the right site to install it,” Kienzle said. “Now we’re finding ourselves in situations where we are being offered long-term loans. … The guidelines are growing more complicated, which is actually pretty exciting because it recognizes that a one-size approach doesn’t fit all.”

Oklahoma City Arts Commission member Elizabeth Eickman served as chairwoman when Schor’s work was approved for council consideration. Eickman said the ordinance has been well-received.

“The city has been doing public art for longer than 10 years, but the ordinance helped establish a steady stream versus periodic projects that would pop up,” she said. “It’s actually been quite positive. When you get into projects that become parts of neighborhoods, you’re met by welcome surprise. It’s a great opportunity to bring together people and provide a sense that they have ownership in it as well.”

Kienzle said Shor’s work and the other items on the City Council’s agenda, if approved, will be installed and ready for public view in six to nine months.

Thread Information