Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayoral Election 2018

Default Mayoral Election 2018

Mick Cornett just announced he will not seek reelection.

State Senator David Holt is a very likely candidate, as is Ed Shadid.

Default Re: Mayoral Election 2018

I'll be pulling for Holt if he runs. He is a very level headed person with a calm demeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Mick Cornett just announced he will not seek reelection.

State Senator David Holt is a very likely candidate, as is Ed Shadid.
    One thing I really like about Cornett is how he really gets it when it comes to promoting urban development as well as portraying a positive image of the city to the nation. While he is a conservative Republican, he has steered away from hot button cultural issues and even went against his party when it meant the best for the city of Oklahoma City.

I am not certain David Holt would have the same kind of character. I will likely be voting Shadid.

back in 2014 when Ed ran against Mick. Mick got 65 percent of the vote while ED got 32 percent. Also Ed has mention that he will not seek a re election for ward 2.

I would vote for David Holt in a heartbeat. Solid guy who knows about city business and state government, very smart, well respected across the board by all sorts of different demographics. He would be a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    One thing I really like about Cornett is how he really gets it when it comes to promoting urban development as well as portraying a positive image of the city to the nation. While he is a conservative Republican, he has steered away from hot button cultural issues and even went against his party when it meant the best for the city of Oklahoma City.

I am not certain David Holt would have the same kind of character. I will likely be voting Shadid.
    The mayor has very little impact on suburban vs. urban development. An effective mayor in our city government system is a mayor who has the support of the councilors. Shadid during his last mayoral campaign destroyed all political capital he had, and alienated himself and lost the respect of his fellow councilors. I could foresee him having no power as mayor, as any proposal good or bad would be shot down by City Council just out of the fact that it was Shadid's proposal.

Disappointed to hear about Mick. Great guy and great Mayor.

For those who don't know, Holt was Mick's Chief of Staff for five years.

It is commonly thought he has had his eye on the mayor seat for quite a while.

Mayor Cornett has been awesome for the city and will be sad to see him go, but we were lucky to even get him back for this last term.

I would support Holt 100% for mayor, especially over Shadid.

I'm still new around here and don't know much about Holt, but (at the risk of getting too political in this thread) I really respect that he voted against both SB 197 and 694 advancing through the Senate.

Press Release:

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett announces he will not seek re-election in 2018

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett announced Wednesday that he will not seek re-election when his fourth term as mayor expires in the spring of 2018.

“I still love the job as much as I ever have,” Mayor Cornett said from City Hall on Wednesday morning. “And that makes it a difficult decision. I look forward to this final year in office knowing we have several more milestones to reach.”

Cornett became Oklahoma City’s Mayor on March 2, 2004. He is the city’s longest-serving mayor and is currently the longest-serving mayor in the country among the 50 largest cities in the United States. He is scheduled to leave office in April 2018.

Mayor Cornett is currently the President of the U.S. Conference of Mayors. That one year term ends in June.

Before becoming Oklahoma City’s mayor, Cornett spent 20 years as a television news and sports anchor. He then served three years on the City Council before announcing his candidacy for Mayor in November 2003.

The next Oklahoma City mayoral election starts with a primary on Feb. 13, 2018. If a candidate receives a majority of votes in the primary, he or she is elected to office. If no candidate wins a majority, the two candidates with the most votes will advance to a runoff in a general election on April 3, 2018.

Hopefully Mick runs for Governor...

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I'm pretty sure Elmo could run for Governor and do a better job than the incumbent.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Yes please.

I think he'd have a good shot of getting it.

Love Mayor Cornett.

I am excited to get new blood out there, though. ~15 years is the perfect amount of time to give whatever it is you have to give to an elected municipal position, and Mayor Cornett really crushed it during his time. Big shoes to fill for whoever wins, that's for sure.

I would hope this change would also finally bring a change to the City Manager position and some of his key reports.

Couch has held that job 4 times longer than anyone before him and change is needed in that position to get a fresh pair of eyes and a new perspective on how things are done at City Hall.

The City Manager job is way, way more powerful than the mayor and yet nobody pays attention.

Blog Entries

Ed would be a disaster to progressivism in OKC.

We need to find someone who is progressive, aggressive, and charismatic. This will be a critical election for this city and whether it will be reflective of 23rd Street or desirous of separating from pompous politics. Mick did a good job of being both conservative in his national politics AND progressive for our city.

OKC has a "weak mayor" system where he/she only gets one vote on city council and usually only votes in the case of a tie. So in that respect, less voting power than any of the 8 city council positions.

What the mayor is in OKC is primarily a cheerleader, ambassador and advocate.

Ed Shadid just posted this on Facebook:

"I believe Mick Cornett is completing his most effective term as Mayor of OKC (particularly his work as Pres. of the Conference of Mayors) and I hope he will consider running for State office as we need an advocate in our highly dysfunctional State government. OK and OKC must diversify with great urgency away from the old Oil and Gas-centric economy and towards a new 21st century diversified economy or we risk great pain and economic irrelevance. I am actively considering my role in leading the City towards the rewards of a stable and diversified future."

Blog Entries

sounds like he's running

David Holt has been telling people he's going to run.

Ed Shadid has also been doing the same.

Add Brian Maughan to the mix. He has already publicly announced.

A sleeper candidate who would gain a ton of support pretty quickly and is well liked across the spectrum: State Rep. George Young.

County Commissions Brian Maughan has already thrown his hat in the ring:

https://www.oklahomacounty.org/district2/Biography.aspx

Statement by Senator David Holt regarding announcement by Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett

"Today, Mayor Cornett announced he will not seek another term, putting an end date
    on one of the most successful mayoral tenures our city has ever seen.
    Today is a day to celebrate Mayor Cornett's phenomenal record of service to the
    people of Oklahoma City. I wish we could declare it 'Mick Cornett Day', but that
    is something only mayors can do, and our mayor has always deflected credit for
    our city's renaissance.

But in fact, Mayor Cornett deserves much of the acclaim for our recent successes.
    From the NBA to MAPS 3 to the implementation of MAPS for Kids to his leadership
    in promoting healthier lifestyles, Mayor Cornett leaves an unparalleled record of
    accomplishment. In addition to being my mayor, he has always been my friend, and
    I sincerely hope his public service does not end when he leaves City Hall."

24. Default Re: Mayoral Election 2018

Think Cornett will go for another state position? Or just retire?

Interesting. I would happily vote for Holt, for the most part I have long been impressed by his work in the state legislature.

Thread Information