Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon

Default Re: Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    So would they have enough land there on Council to add that footage or would they acquire and build elsewhere? Current location seems like a good spot, good interstate access plus airport access like someone mentioned.
    No, would not have enough land near the sortation facility.

1 million square feet is like the size of Quail Springs Mall and those big fulfillment centers employ over 1,000 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No, would not have enough land near the sortation facility.

1 million square feet is like the size of Quail Springs Mall and those big fulfillment centers employ over 1,000 people.
    Alright thanks for the comparison. I know there is still quite a bit of land over there on Council that backs up to the interstate North of where they are going, so wasn't sure if they were maybe going to try and acquire that as well. I'm assuming they'd keep both facilities?

Yes, both facilities are completely separate in function and in location.

And remember, the 1 million SF at a fulfillment center has to be all on one level. The shelving and conveyor systems are stacked high but the ground level has to have the entire 1 million SF.

BTW, 1MM SF of building is 23 acres all under one roof!! That's over 17 football fields. Absolutely massive.

And remember, the 1 million SF at a fulfillment center has to be all on one level. The shelving and conveyor systems are stacked high but the ground level has to have the entire 1 million SF.

BTW, 1MM SF of building is 23 acres all under one roof!! That's over 17 football fields. Absolutely massive.
    Wow! Amazon puts a new meaning in go big or go home.

if Amazon operates their own fleet, could this have a positive impact on our airport?

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    if Amazon operates their own fleet, could this have a positive impact on our airport?
    Nothing noticeable. At most it would be 2 flights a day, more likely to be 1. I don't think it is in their plans unless this center also plans to serve all of Northern Oklahoma and Tulsa. There simply isn't the volume from OKC alone to support a flight.

7. Default Re: Amazon

For a very close by comparison, the Lucent plant across I-40 is right at 1 million square feet. The amount of parking/asphalt space you need, is really what dictates whether it can fit. Meaning, the number of poeple employed there at a time. Compare Lucent with it's 3-4 thousand employees, with Amazon and the asphalt footprint for Amazon can be smaller.

Also, when you think of football fields, try not to think of anything but the actual field. Most people start thinking about a track or stadium footprint too. A field by itself isn't really all that big.

So, no the lot isn't big enough for a full million, but they can still get a lot more out of the lot than what's going in now.

^

And more than employee parking, you need space for all the trucks and trailers that come in and out of these places.

Very different than a manufacturing plant.

When should construction start on this facility?

10. Default Re: Amazon

They are really going to have to get the Council & I-40 intersection fixed up for this. It's already horrible and I can't imagine it getting any better with the additional traffic to/from this facility. Something like they've done at Morgan road would be awesome.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    They are really going to have to get the Council & I-40 intersection fixed up for this. It's already horrible and I can't imagine it getting any better with the additional traffic to/from this facility. Something like they've done at Morgan road would be awesome.
    Agreed. That intersection is terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Agree 100%. They re-did Council going south from there over the past year or so, but the portion basically from the river to Reno on Council is horrendous. Maybe Amazon being built will get this on someone's radar.

Quote Originally Posted by _Kyle View Post
    When should construction start on this facility?
    See post # 7. It started last month.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't see any work being done on Council because of this. The official party line will be "just use the turnpike when it is built". The response from truckers will be "we're not paying", and nothing will happen.

And honestly, to an extent, that answer isn't completely wrong. If (in the case of Amazon) trucks are going from the airport to the distribution center, they could tear up the entire Reno/Council intersection for all they care, it won't be used by them.

That said, for the sake of OTHER warehouses that might want to go into that area, yes, something should be done sooner rather than later. Just because Amazon and Hobby Lobby might not need ready access to I-40 doesn't mean others won't.

15. Default Re: Amazon

It is really bad. And the design of the entire southern half needs to be re-evaluated to something that isn't totally stupid like it is now. The surface is so bad that it actually scrapes the bottom of some cars!!!!

Blog Entries

Seems like a good project for the 2017 GO Bond. I hope y'all went to a session and let those folks know before the end of the public engagement period (2/28), but if not definitely send to your city council person while they still have possible influence.

The plan to place an 80,000 SF fulfillment center here tells me we are a few years away from a full-scale center, which average about 1 million SF.
    I just got to thinking about this. Are you sure 80,000 sq ft is the right number? We have an 80,000 sq ft warehouse and its pretty small. I think its 10 loading docks per side(Maybe 8).

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post
    I just got to thinking about this. Are you sure 80,000 sq ft is the right number? We have an 80,000 sq ft warehouse and its pretty small. I think its 10 loading docks per side(Maybe 8).
    Yes, I'm sure 80,000 SF is the right number.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post

Correct an 80k sq ft warehouse is not a huge warehouse.

Blog Entries

Yeah my company's building is 55Ksq/ft so it interesting that Amazon's is only 30% bigger. I wonder if it's "just the beginning" of a bigger complex down the line...

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I hope thats not the case, because you know incentives arent the reason Amazon wants a distribution center here. It'd be an unnecessary give away by the state.
    It would also be an interesting thing to subsidize. Yes, Amazon employs a lot of people, but the net effect is a loss when loss of retails jobs and local retail establishments due to amazon is factored in. They also have a, let's just say, less than exemplary reputation when it comes to treatment of their warehouse employees.

Then again, it's not going to change and I guess the laid off retailers as an effect of Amazon need to work somewhere, so maybe that's just what it's come to, but subsidizing Amazon is pretty much like subsidizing Wal-Mart. Of course, that's not unprecedented, but still seems like misguided policy when the big picture is factored in. I guess what I'm saying is, if the result is a loss of local businesses and a net loss in retail jobs, let them pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Yeah my company's building is 55Ksq/ft so it interesting that Amazon's is only 30% bigger. I wonder if it's "just the beginning" of a bigger complex down the line...
    I'm sure this is the case.

Just a small fulfillment center to help them get started here.

When the time comes, their purpose-built centers measure in the millions of SF.

My understanding is this isn't to be used as a warehouse per se, as nothing will be stored here for any length of time, but a very temporary holding center for packages to be turned over to the final deliverer. If once a day USPS, UPS, FedEx, and any others are going to be picking up the packages, you really don't need much space. And if the space available DOES start to get tight, just have (insert carrier here) pick up more than once a day. I don't know the exact area this will cover, so I don't want to say "packages destined for Oklahoma" and have it turn out to just be the metro area, but I'm comfortable saying packages headed for Montana are never going to see this building.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    My understanding is this isn't to be used as a warehouse per se, as nothing will be stored here for any length of time, but a very temporary holding center for packages to be turned over to the final deliverer. If once a day USPS, UPS, FedEx, and any others are going to be picking up the packages, you really don't need much space. And if the space available DOES start to get tight, just have (insert carrier here) pick up more than once a day. I don't know the exact area this will cover, so I don't want to say "packages destined for Oklahoma" and have it turn out to just be the metro area, but I'm comfortable saying packages headed for Montana are never going to see this building.
    We are talking about 2 different things.

1. 300,000 SF Sortation Facility under construction at Council & SE 15th
    2. 80,000 SF Fulfillment Center in a leased facility nearby

Please re-read the article in the original post for further clarification.

We are talking about 2 different things.

1. 300,000 SF Sortation Facility under construction at Council & SE 15th
    2. 80,000 SF Fulfillment Center in a leased facility nearby

Please re-read the article in the original post for further clarification.
    Excellent! Thanks for the pointer, Pete. I either failed to parse that part when originally reading it, or forgot it. Since it was more than 10 minutes ago...probably forgot...

Thread Information