Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon

Default Re: Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    We don't. You didn't read the Toronto bid I posted, did you?
    It is quite impressive. Hard to think we can compete though I like that we've put together some sort of an attempt, even if it was prepared just to say we submitted a proposal. The more I think about it, depending on how Amazon wants to structure itself going forward a Toronto/non-US second headquarters makes a lot of sense.

I didn't but dang dude why you gotta squash my optimism Lol?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    If Amazon picked a smaller town, its because they want to build their own city from scratch.
    Ouch Lol. So your saying we have no shot? What happens if Amazon does pick us?

I should say, just so you don't get the impression I am lazy about this correspondence, I don't have the space on my phone to view that file.....per your disclaimer.

But if you posted some of the details I would gladly read them ��

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Not to turn this into a political thread, but the special session is a joke, a complete and blatant mockery of democracy. The latest word from it is one side has told the other side give us what we want, and then we PROMISE to hold a vote to see if we'll give you what you want. Left unspoken is "...but you know damn well that vote is going to be no".

They're not discussing Amazon, and the deadline to submit a proposal has passed. Being optimistic is one thing, but please respect yourself enough to not delude yourself.
    You must not know my brand of optimism. ....in the kind of SOONER fan that thinks if we are down by 40 points in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes left , "come on SOONER we can still do this....we just need another on-side kick."

All kidding aside, though in optimistic I also know its a tall order. But if Austin has a shot then dammit we do too!

6. Default Re: Amazon

It would be really cool if we could see our bid, though. Just to see what we pitched them.

^^^^ Agreed. Wonder why Abigail Ogle didn't ask him.

How do we know Oklahoma City submitted a bid? All I saw was a list of states who didn’t submit a bit. For all we know Pawnee, OK tried to lure amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    How do we know Oklahoma City submitted a bid? All I saw was a list of states who didn’t submit a bit. For all we know Pawnee, OK tried to lure amazon.
    Newsok reported both OKC and Tulsa submitted bids.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_on_mines View Post
    You must not know my brand of optimism. ....in the kind of SOONER fan that thinks if we are down by 40 points in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes left , "come on SOONER we can still do this....we just need another on-side kick."

All kidding aside, though in optimistic I also know its a tall order. But if Austin has a shot then dammit we do too!
    Disney went to Orlando when there was almost nothing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Disney went to Orlando when there was almost nothing there.
    To be fair, Disney went to Orlando exactly because there was nothing there. And they didn't go to Orlando, they went to a place where there was absolutely nothing and created the Reedy Creek Improvement District by using shell companies to buy the land on the cheap and to avoid having to be in the jurisdiction of anyone other than that of Disney himself and the State of Florida rather than any city.

Walt Disney World is not inside of any city, it is an actual legitimate district that provides fire protection services, emergency medical services, roads, and utilities. It really is an interesting case of avoiding any sort of NIMBYs by creating their very own backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    To be fair, Disney went to Orlando exactly because there was nothing there. And they didn't go to Orlando, they went to a place where there was absolutely nothing and created the Reedy Creek Improvement District by using shell companies to buy the land on the cheap and to avoid having to be in the jurisdiction of anyone other than that of Disney himself and the State of Florida rather than any city.

Walt Disney World is not inside of any city, it is an actual legitimate district that provides fire protection services, emergency medical services, roads, and utilities. It really is an interesting case of avoiding any sort of NIMBYs by creating their very own backyard.
    Florida or the city of Orlando(I don't remember) has created a special governing board for the district that oversees infrastructure and services(health, transport, fire, police etc.) that treats the area as its own city. Disney World was originally supposed to get its own airport.

I get what you are saying, but my point was depending on how Amazon is looking at cities, OKC could be a logical choice if they get a commitment from the city to develop the things they require spread out over time. They will choose a city, but then how long will it take to develop their plan? If they say the 5 billion dollar development and the 50,000 employees they want to hire happens within years, then OKC is probably f@cked. But if perhaps it is part of longer plan to build over time say a decade or so, that is perfectly reasonable to think OKC has just as much as a chance as any other city unless Amazon is going by incentives. New Jersey has offered 5 billion dollars. A town in Georgia has offered a plot of land that will function as its own municipality like Disney World and it will be called Amazon. Bezos would be made mayor for life.

I don't think they said how long it will take them to hire 50,000 employees? Because between the airport and the amount of people they want to hire seems to be the biggest issue. I think OKC is simply not capable of supporting the needs of a company looking for 50k people right now. But if they have plans they haven't released yet, then it could be that they want to see what cities will bend over backwards for them to do what they want and already have a preferred choice. From the wording used by Cornett, it sounds like they have just submitted a bid and the $15k donation to schools isn't a sign of anything.

OKC already has an amazing infrastructure network, it just needs to be modernized. It lacks transit and an airport. The labor pool can be brought in over time and the airport will adjust to the market. OKC just needs the right pitch(if money and incentives are the only things they are really looking for) and to beef up its transit system. 5 billion dollars would be a somewhat decent amount to jumpstart light-rail across the city. Over 5 years or so, that isn't unreasonable if Amazon commits to coming here. I'm willing to bet people would support it.

I wanted to mention something I've noticed only recently in regards to Amazon now taxing us in Oklahoma. Now granted you still don't get taxed on everything, but if it is sold and fulfilled by Amazon you do, so that is the only thing I'm referencing here.

I use my Prime account sometimes for work. The other day when ordering I switched the shipping from my house (OKC) to my work (Mustang). When I did I noticed the price changed drastically. This surprised me so I switched it back to see what had changed and sure enough it was the tax. I was purchasing around $300 worth of equipment so it was a fairly large amount compared to most of my transactions so when tax doubled it made a bit of difference. I went back and looked at all my purchases where I was charged tax and compared what I found. The numbers were fairly consistent. Items sent to Mustang were charged around 8.85% tax and items sent to OKC were charged 4.44%, basically half.

Now I'm sure most of you aren't affected by this because you ship to one address so you pay what you pay. But occasionally I ship something to work for convenience and essentially pay more tax because it was shipped to Mustang rather than OKC. Granted the payment methods on these always stayed consistent. The address for the payment method was unchanged, and an OKC address.

Just thought this was interesting.

NM, withdrew ?

Those are the rates that are charged by Amazon as they maintain a presence in the state but internet purchases are subject to the same tax that purchases made from in store are. Mustang 8.85 and OKC 8.375 would result in a slight discount if shipped to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I wanted to mention something I've noticed only recently in regards to Amazon now taxing us in Oklahoma. Now granted you still don't get taxed on everything, but if it is sold and fulfilled by Amazon you do, so that is the only thing I'm referencing here.

I use my Prime account sometimes for work. The other day when ordering I switched the shipping from my house (OKC) to my work (Mustang). When I did I noticed the price changed drastically. This surprised me so I switched it back to see what had changed and sure enough it was the tax. I was purchasing around $300 worth of equipment so it was a fairly large amount compared to most of my transactions so when tax doubled it made a bit of difference. I went back and looked at all my purchases where I was charged tax and compared what I found. The numbers were fairly consistent. Items sent to Mustang were charged around 8.85% tax and items sent to OKC were charged 4.44%, basically half.

Now I'm sure most of you aren't affected by this because you ship to one address so you pay what you pay. But occasionally I ship something to work for convenience and essentially pay more tax because it was shipped to Mustang rather than OKC. Granted the payment methods on these always stayed consistent. The address for the payment method was unchanged, and an OKC address.

Just thought this was interesting.
    Sales taxes in Oklahoma get charged by the rate at the point of delivery of the goods. I know this because there are a couple of construction material supply houses located in Stockyards City, which has a fairly low rate compared to the rest of the metro. (CED and A and D Supply, to name a couple.) If you pick up goods at those locations, taxes are charged at the Stockyards City rate. If you have them deliver the same goods somewhere other than Stockyards City, taxes get charged at the rate where they deliver the goods, regardless of where your office is located and where they send the bill. If Joe Blow Contracting from Little Axe calls and has a truck of metal studs delivered from Stockyards City to Nichols Hills, the rate is Nichols Hills rate and Nichols Hills gets their cut. If he picks them up, he pays the Stockyards City rate. Same as Amazon, but that was in place long before web sales or Amazon existed.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Those are the rates that are charged by Amazon as they maintain a presence in the state but internet purchases are subject to the same tax that purchases made from in store are. Mustang 8.85 and OKC 8.375 would result in a slight discount if shipped to OKC.
    Lol, I know how tax rates work when I buy locally.

Doesn't change the fact that the tax rate I'm charged for things sent to Mustang is 8.85% and things sent to OKC are 4.44%. I have about 20 invoices I compared and those numbers all came out the same. Amazon does not in my case charge a slightly lower rate that you stated, they literally charge about half.

Sounds like the family that owns Fireworks City on the East side of Mustang could clean up by installing Amazon lockers in that building, rather than keep it boarded up 40+ weeks of the year. Since last I knew that plot of land was still its own city, they can set the tax rate. Personally I'd still rather have house delivery even though they are literally right down the road from me, but I can imagine people from all over the metro having stuff shipped there just to save a buck.

Lol, I know how tax rates work when I buy locally.

Doesn't change the fact that the tax rate I'm charged for things sent to Mustang is 8.85% and things sent to OKC are 4.44%. I have about 20 invoices I compared and those numbers all came out the same. Amazon does not in my case charge a slightly lower rate that you stated, they literally charge about half.
    Corrected previous post... the last two orders I checked were both charged at 8.375% for items shipped by Amazon to my house in OKC. One of those was a combined order of stuff shipped by Amazon and stuff shipped by others, so the overall tax rate was less, but correct for what Amazon shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Corrected previous post... the last two orders I checked were both charged at 8.375% for items shipped by Amazon to my house in OKC. One of those was a combined order of stuff shipped by Amazon and stuff shipped by others, so the overall tax rate was less, but correct for what Amazon shipped.
    You are only charged tax on items shipped (and fulfilled?) by Amazon, not by others. 8.375% of $55.97 is $4.69

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    You are only charged tax on items shipped (and fulfilled?) by Amazon, not by others. 8.375% of $55.97 is $4.69
    That's my understanding. Tax is only charged by law if the company shipping the goods has a physical presence in the state. (Some collect it anyway.) So if you have a mixed invoice, Amazon does not spell out which items were taxed, they just give the total charge and the total tax. (I did the math wrong the first time around on that invoice I formerly posted about.)

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Well then lucky me because all my orders since Amazon started collecting is 4.44%.

Well then lucky me because all my orders since Amazon started collecting is 4.44%.
    I wonder... Even though you said you have an OKC address, is your house physically outside of the city limits? Maybe that could account for the discrepancy, since there wouldn't be any city tax...

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I wonder... Even though you said you have an OKC address, is your house physically outside of the city limits? Maybe that could account for the discrepancy, since there wouldn't be any city tax...
    Nope I live by the airport so well within city limits. It's odd for sure, but I'll take it. I did get taxed on one item when going back through it that was not sold/fulfilled by Amazon. Can't remember who the seller was, but I got charged 1.5% tax on that item. the rest are all 4.44%.

Nope I live by the airport so well within city limits. It's odd for sure, but I'll take it. I did get taxed on one item when going back through it that was not sold/fulfilled by Amazon. Can't remember who the seller was, but I got charged 1.5% tax on that item. the rest are all 4.44%.
    That would mean you owe some tax on all your Amazon orders.

I won't tell, though.

Thread Information