Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3Sixty Resaurant & Bar

1. Default Re: 3Sixty Resaurant & Bar

Yeah we had been going there the past few years for our office christmas party. Was packed every time we went. It's gotta be pretty tough with that space though. Sad to see it close as it was pretty unique.

Default Re: 3Sixty Resaurant & Bar

Dang. I've eaten there several times and it's always been good. I suspect to hear to hear of other restaurant closings due the fact that we have such a large number of new restaurants constantly being added to OKC. I can't help but think our population cannot sustain so many eating establishments.

3. Default Re: 3Sixty Resaurant & Bar

Wish they had done more advertising. That might have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Absolutely.

What happens is there is a burst of press and buzz when something opens but then diners forget about you and all the while there is more and more new stuff to grab attention.

And then most do a bit on social media but that is largely preaching to the choir, not reaching the people who only went once or twice and never followed you, or never went at all.

With any business, you have to promote yourself. Too few business owners budget for this and then don't want to spend the money and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Absolutely.

What happens is there is a burst of press and buzz when something opens but then diners forget about you and all the while there is more and more new stuff to grab attention.

And then most do a bit on social media but that is largely preaching to the choir, not reaching the people who only went once or twice and never followed you, or never went at all.

With any business, you have to promote yourself. Too few business owners budget for this and then don't want to spend the money and effort.
    It's also knowing where to spend those marketing dollars/efforts. I feel like too many restaurants struggle to understand their identity and place in the market. Like, you don't market the same way for UrBun as you do for 3Sixty. With UrBun, you can have some success by getting someone(s) to hand out flyers with some sort of offer outside some of the busier areas of Midtown: "Grab a bite on the way home". With 3Sixty, you cold call sales offices throughout the city and tell them you'll cover an appetizer if they bring in prospective clients.

Rough examples, but I think makes the point well enough...lack self-awareness not only inhibits good marketing, it shows up all throughout your restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Restaurants in this town don't advertise unless they are Hal Smith or sports bars. It's a weird cultural thing. They think advertising indicates that they have failed. I would bet literally hundreds of thousands of people in OKC had no idea this restaurant even existed.

I know a lot of restaurateurs in OKC and they all seem to have this feeling about advertising. It is ridiculous.

In any business, 10% of gross should go to advertising. Minimum. These people think nothing of spending more than a million on a buildout and leave literally, like, $5,000 for advertising. No. Don't do that. Advertising and marketing are as important as the sous chef and the electric bill.

This city is getting bigger and operators need to think bigger.

Part of the problem is the incestuous nature of the industry. The same chefs and staff hop around to different establishments and continue the same methods everyone else did.

But you would think they would note their chance of failure is 50%. That is terribly risky and frightening.

They think advertising is "uncool." I get it, but going out of business with massive debt in six months is definitely uncool.

7. Default Re: 3Sixty Resaurant & Bar

I find out about new places from this site, and of course other information in regards to the likes/issues/suggestions/gripes that go with it. More so than through advertising, which is rare as mentioned earlier

That's funny cause I see more Pearl's commercials than any Hal Smith Restaurant and they kill it!

I highly doubt "hundreds of thousands" of people in OKC (not really that big of a city) didn't know about a landmark building and restaurant existing.

Quote Originally Posted by coop2773 View Post
    That's funny cause I see more Pearl's commercials than any Hal Smith Restaurant and they kill it!

I highly doubt "hundreds of thousands" of people in OKC (not really that big of a city) didn't know about a landmark building and restaurant existing.
    OKC has approximately 1.4 million people in the metro. How many of those people had ever heard about 36ixty in your opinion? I would bet there are people who frequent this site who hadn't heard of it at all.

I agree about Pearl's being a mainstay advertiser.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if over 100,000 people in the the metro haven’t heard of 36ixty. I live exactly 1.1 miles away and we haven’t eaten there, and I wouldn’t have been able to name it off the top of my head. My wife and I went to the top when it was the nice steakhouse and I already forgot the name of that place. Like others have said, just too many new places opening up and these guys aren’t marketing enough to stay relevant.

You proved my point, you knew the restaurant and building were there. You don't have to know the name, as it liked most have changed over time.

Population 1.4 million in the metro. I didn't say anything about the suburbs or people in Mustang knowing about the place! Odd when I google the population in OKC it's less than 700K.

It's not that people don't know something exists, it's they forget about it if not reminded.

We all do this... Plan a night out and run through a quick list of suitable places. And 9 times out of 10 your forget about several places you had been meaning to try.

I actually keep a list on my phone because no matter how much I keep up with this stuff, I tend to forget about place I want to try or go back to.

Every type of business is so competitive these days you have to constantly promote yourself so you are remembered when someone may be interested.

I couldn't even remember the name of the establishment until I reread this thread. I thought it was still the George, which I also never visited. I dine out frequently throughout the city. Never went.

And no, I didn't prove your point.

You proved my point, you knew the restaurant and building were there. You don't have to know the name, as it liked most have changed over time.

Population 1.4 million in the metro. I didn't say anything about the suburbs or people in Mustang knowing about the place! Odd when I google the population in OKC it's less than 700K.
    This is just ridiculous. People in the suburbs are frequent diners in OKC. But even with 700k people I would be shocked if even 100k people had heard of that restaurant, if that. Pearl's, sure. Johnnie's, sure. Cattlemen's, absolutely. Note, those places advertise.

this restaurant posted on facebook (and i have since confirmed with someone that would know) that their lease expired and they could not come to terms on a new lease ...

which is why they closed

No restaurants spend 10% of gross on advertising or should they. Rent usually isn't even that much.

For the last few years, every time I was in OKC, I ended up at 3Sixty...sometimes for dinner and sometimes just for drinks. Sad to see it closed.

18. Default Re: 3Sixty Resaurant & Bar

maybe the next operator can bring back the rotating floor. it is still unique to have and OKC was one of the first, let's bring it back.

Besides, it's a bit weird to have a 36o name with no moving floor.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    maybe the next operator can bring back the rotating floor. it is still unique to have and OKC was one of the first, let's bring it back.

Besides, it's a bit weird to have a 36o name with no moving floor.
    Not going to happen, I believe the mechanism was all taken out when The George went in.

The mechanism could be put back in. Frankly I agree it should be put back in. As a gimmick and a good plan for a hit restaurant would make a killing here. The views are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The mechanism could be put back in. Frankly I agree it should be put back in. As a gimmick and a good plan for a hit restaurant would make a killing here. The views are incredible.
    Just like with all your plans for flyovers, 28 lane highways, etc. - who's gonna pay for it? Nobody will pay to make it move again because it would cost way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Just like with all your plans for flyovers, 28 lane highways, etc. - who's gonna pay for it? Nobody will pay to make it move again because it would cost way too much.
    Well, Mr. Weisenheimer, when I am actually in position to do these things, I’ll lay out a broader plan on how to pay for it. For now, I’m on a message board like everyone else here including you.

There are other cities that have these sorts of things and somehow the folks there pay for it. 28 lane highways, flyovers, and believe it or not but yet, rotating restaurants. But by all means, just shoot down those who say it can be done and continue on with your arrogant attitude.

I'd really be shocked if even 100,000 people knew it did exist. Literally the only way I knew about it was OKCTalk. I never heard any of my coworkers talking about it, and I have several that go to similarly priced places every week.

ETA: If the floor had been rotating I would've made a point to go there. But I rarely eat at places in their price point and other's people's menu's always looked better to my Wife and I so we never went. I have eaten at three other rotating restaurants since they opened, though. I agree that I doubt anyone will make it rotate again though, it definitely seems to be a dying gimmick with many former rotating restaurants no longer spinning.

I mean technically all restaurants are rotating, it just takes them about 24 hours to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well, Mr. Weisenheimer, when I am actually in position to do these things, I’ll lay out a broader plan on how to pay for it. For now, I’m on a message board like everyone else here including you.

There are other cities that have these sorts of things and somehow the folks there pay for it. 28 lane highways, flyovers, and believe it or not but yet, rotating restaurants. But by all means, just shoot down those who say it can be done and continue on with your arrogant attitude.
    Not an arrogant attitude, just that there is no company in OKC that would be willing to spend the money to make it rotate again, take a poll of Good Egg, 84 Hospitality, HSRG, all the other restaurant groups, anybody in the restaurant industry, and nobody will say they would/could do it, I'd bet $1000 on it. Yes, it can be done, damn near anything can be done if you throw enough money and research and people at it, but the cost to restore the rotation would in no way make enough return on the investment to make it work again, so it's never going to happen.

Thread Information