Page 1 of 13 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake news

1. Default Fake news

Since I don't want to start a thread about fake news, and we've talked about it on this thread, figured I'd post this here:

Now all news is “fake news”: The right’s war against truth goes back long before 9/11

"Back in the 1960s, when the modern conservative movement was birthed in the wake of Barry Goldwater’s presidential campaign, one of the Republican explanations for that defeat was that the media had a liberal slant. This grew into a bedrock belief over the next decade as the Watergate scandal unfolded. By the time Reagan came to power in 1980, it was being deployed as an organizing principle.

Conservatives learned to challenge the media’s alleged liberal bias as a tactic to make reporters leery of any news that reflected negatively on conservatives."

Wielding Claims of ‘Fake News,’ Conservatives Take Aim at Mainstream Media

"“Over the years, we’ve effectively brainwashed the core of our audience (emphasis mine) to distrust anything that they disagree with. And now it’s gone too far,” said John Ziegler, a conservative radio host"

"“Fake news was a term specifically about people who purposely fabricated stories for clicks and revenue,” said David Mikkelson, the founder of Snopes, the myth-busting website. “Now it includes bad reporting, slanted journalism and outright propaganda. And I think we’re doing a disservice to lump all those things together.”"

Default Re: Fake news

Since I don't want to start a thread about fake news, and we've talked about it on this thread, figured I'd post this here:
    Confused. Was this moved from another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

"“Fake news was a term specifically about people who purposely fabricated stories for clicks and revenue,” said David Mikkelson, the founder of Snopes, the myth-busting website. “Now it includes bad reporting, slanted journalism and outright propaganda. And I think we’re doing a disservice to lump all those things together.”"
    Why?

4. Default Re: Fake news

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Confused. Was this moved from another thread?
    Sorry, originally was going to post it on the Russia thread, but decided to create a new thread and forgot to take that part out.

5. Default Re: Fake news

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Why?
    Why what? More context, please.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Why what? More context, please.
    I know they are not your words exactly, but I presume that since you posted them you agree with some or all of them. The last quote in particular is what I referencing. "And I think we’re doing a disservice to lump all those things together." Why is it a disservice?

7. Default Re: Fake news

I know they are not your words exactly, but I presume that since you posted them you agree with some or all of them. The last quote in particular is what I referencing. "And I think we’re doing a disservice to lump all those things together." Why is it a disservice?
    Email him at http://www.snopes.com/cgi-bin/comments/webmail.asp if you want to know the real "why".

As far as I'm concerned, it's a disservice because they're not the same thing - pretty self-explanatory if you read the quote. Bad reporting or slanted journalism or propaganda is *not* fake news, it's bad reporting or slanted journalism or propaganda and should be called out for what it is, *not* fake news. There are probably differences between the 3, which may come down to intent, though.

8. Default Re: Fake news

What appears to be a great site, but haven't checked it completely out yet, aggregates news and classifies it as far left, left, center, right, far right.

www.allsides.com

So I know this totally is not a big deal, but it just goes to show the knee jerk reaction is to take unfair shots at the president. I present Twitter capture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYT2017v2015PatriotsTweet041917.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	13770

Petty. The New England Patriots twitter of all people pointed out the inconsistency was due to support staff being seated on the lawn as opposed to on the stairs. Notice the heads in front on the bottom image. These types of things, while insignificant, just shine light on how far people will go to make him look bad. And if they are willing to do it on a throw away story like this, what's to stop them from doing the same on something more important.

And for the chaser (aka correction)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PatriotsWHphotoWithStaff041917.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	13771

Is this for real? Dose a dozen people constitute a protest line and how did CNN "find" them if so.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/17141/...obert-kraychik

Is this for real? Dose a dozen people constitute a protest line and how did CNN "find" them if so.

Considering the daily wire is tabloid, no, this is likely not for real.

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    Considering the daily wire is tabloid, no, this is likely not for real.
    Ben Shaprio writes for a tabloid? Who knew.

Ben Shaprio writes for a tabloid? Who knew.
    Everyone? He founded the tabloid.

http://www.snopes.com/tag/daily-wire/

They may have been on an adjacent street, but they were staged behind the crime scene tape to get a better visual. It looks like their were other media outlets there besides CNN and that platform they were standing on was probably the same one that was used for press conferences. How many were actually there? We don't know, they could have been the 12 chosen to stand behind the police tape.

Everyone? He founded the tabloid.

http://www.snopes.com/tag/daily-wire/
    He's a political commentator, no different than the Daily Caller, Salon, or Rolling Stone. Yet the last two NEVER get called tabloids even though the later completely fabricated an entire expose, ruining lives in the process.

He's a political commentator, no different than the Daily Caller, Salon, or Rolling Stone. Yet the last two NEVER get called tabloids even though the later completely fabricated an entire expose, ruining lives in the process.
    They don't? Pretty sure you go off on salon any time it is posted. Rolling Stone issued a retraction for that story. Has the daily wire ever issued a retraction? The daily caller is also a tabloid, much in the same vein as the daily wire. News flash, the daily mail is also a tabloid!

They don't? Pretty sure you go off on salon any time it is posted. Rolling Stone issued a retraction for that story. Has the daily wire ever issued a retraction? The daily caller is also a tabloid, much in the same vein as the daily wire. News flash, the daily mail is also a tabloid!
    For claiming some congressmen sat when they actually stood? Or embellishing on a BET story? Exactly the same. I doubt the have, but then again, nobody was claiming that a federal crime that could put someone away for life had been committed.

From the Harvard piece, this is the one line that is misleading:
    In the name of progress, Harvard University will segregate graduation ceremonies based on race.
    The rest of the article is quite clear it is a student run thing.

Fake news is a huge, huge problem. Even worse, people have developed a habit of calling anything they don't want to hear i.e. any news that doesn't confirm their existing political beliefs as fake news. It really started as a trickle in the 1980s with shows like Rush Limbaugh and others like him on AM talk radio as well as supermarket tabloids. Then it went mainstream when Fox News went on the air in the late '90s. Even then, while Fox skews to the right, it usually isn't outright fake. Social media has given propaganda like what you see on sites such as Breitbart and InfoWars a mass audience. To a lot of people today, Alex Jones is telling the truth and the mainstream media is fake news. That is why you still have so many die-hard Trump supporters and they refuse to even question him.

So how has CNN not been mentioned on this thread today?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...er_dailymailus

I know it's the daily mail, but I thought it was an interesting perspective from Piers Morgan (a former CNN personality, and current British citizen, hence the Mail article).

Fake Time cover hangs in four Trump owned golf clubs.

http://deadstate.org/time-magazine-t...e-covers-asap/

So CNN will probably be running with this the next few days.

Not sure what Sharyl Attkisson's cred is on this board, but I've never seen anything to make me think she was way off base on her reporting. And it is extremely easy to believe what she details in this clip is what is going on.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...de_134342.html

During the 2016 presidential campaign, an acquaintance who’s also a national news journalist calls me from the road. “Whatever happened to journalism?” this reporter asks rhetorically. “Everyone’s reporting meaningless inside bull****. I overhear live shots on the campaign trail and the reporters are saying, ‘My inside sources tell me ... ’ And they don’t have inside sources. They’re pretending they have some secret, inside track when it’s someone from a campaign handing them information the campaign wants put out. And it’s stuff the average Joe doesn’t really even care about.”

So CNN will probably be running with this the next few days.
    Kinda like Fox News covering Obamas "lavish" vacations...
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

Thread Information