Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer Pies Closing

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pioneer Pies Closing

F@ck man what's with all of these places closing!!! Honestly I haven't even heard of this place but I'm so bummed avoid Haunted House. Why are all of these places closing?

I had honestly thought that Pioneer Pies had already closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I had honestly thought that Pioneer Pies had already closed.
    Me too.

The answer to why Pioneer Pies is closing is twofold, yet very simple. First, as demonstrated, people thought it was already gone. The one on NW Expressway is long gone, but the one on 240 was still open.

The second part of the answer? They were still open, but apparently didn't want to be. I tried to order a pie for Thanksgiving, and no, I did not call the day before. Knowing they would need advance notice, I called over two weeks before. First call I got a human and asked if I could order a pie on the phone in advance and pick it up in the store (as opposed to ordering online and having it shipped, there seeming not to be a pick up option). They said yes, hold on. A minute later I was hung up on. OK, accidents happen. I call back, get fax tones. I call back, busy signal (fax machine was probably tying up the line). 4th try, I get a human again and tell them I would like to order a pie for pickup a couple days before Thanksgiving. Same thing, "sure, hold on" and hung up on a minute later. At this point I took the hint and called Ingrid's. Good people at Ingrid's. Good pies.

Pioneer Pies can close and I won't shed a single tear at all. Looking forward to see what goes in to the building. Maybe Ingrid's South.

6. Default Re: Pioneer Pies Closing

Fond memories of Pioneer Pies. The family used to go there for the Prime Rib special maybe once a month. For awhile it was really good. Our son would diligently go over the pie list to decide wha slice he wanted for dessert.

Unfortunately, the quality dropped off, the price was raised a bit.... so, we stopped going.

Like others have stated, I thought they had gone out of business years ago.

2Lanez Guest

I remember the Hefner Road location. Closed in 2002 or so?

8. Default Re: Pioneer Pies Closing

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lanez View Post
    I remember the Hefner Road location. Closed in 2002 or so?
    Something like that. If I remember right NW Exp closed first, Hefner slightly after.

Like most, I had no idea this place was still operating.

Blog Entries

It's a good place to go pick up a pie until 9pm since other places close earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    F@ck man what's with all of these places closing!!! Honestly I haven't even heard of this place but I'm so bummed avoid Haunted House. Why are all of these places closing?
    Plupan, the restaurant business has always been tough everywhere. Places open and close all of the time in every city.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Plupan, the restaurant business has always been tough everywhere. Places open and close all of the time in every city.
    I completely agree but it just seems like there are a ton of places closing more so than usual.

13. Default Re: Pioneer Pies Closing

From the article, it seemed to be a going successful business. I wonder if the owners of this and\or Charcoal Oven tried to sell first? There are a lot of people who might have been interested in an existing business

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I completely agree but it just seems like there are a ton of places closing more so than usual.
    OKC has far fewer restaurant closings in general than someplace like L.A., I assure you.

The places you are referencing have been open for decades. Restaurants in other cities are lucky to last a year, and that almost never happens here.

I used to meet my grandmother there for lunch every Wed in college. I used to love their beefeater sandwiches and the salads in a pie tin, stopped going when the one on NW Expressway closed

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Fond memories of Pioneer Pies. The family used to go there for the Prime Rib special maybe once a month. For awhile it was really good. Our son would diligently go over the pie list to decide wha slice he wanted for dessert.

Unfortunately, the quality dropped off, the price was raised a bit.... so, we stopped going.

Like others have stated, I thought they had gone out of business years ago.
    That was our experience as well. We used to be fairly regular over there on I-240 years ago, but then we just started noticing a pattern of...well, not very clean, and the food wasn't quite as good, and the prices didn't match up with what we got, so we just stopped going. I have to think they were in a bit of a spiral with the NW Expy location having closed several years back, and I think they've been operating on momentum/word of mouth on I-240 since. It could be that they just looked at the receipts and what a lease renewal was going to cost and just decided the math didn't work anymore....

Does anyone remember when that building on I-240 originally opened as a Jimmy Dean breakfast restaurant? It was open for, oh, maybe six months (if that long), closed, and Pioneer Pies took it over a few months thereafter...

Chalk me up as another who thought it had already been closed for a long time.

I have fond memories of going to the one on NW Expressway when I was in junior high. But those are just memories, kind of like eating at Crystal's Pizza when I was in jr high. I won't miss Pioneer Pies, obviously, as I thought it was already gone.

Pioneer Pies and Crystal's were a HUGE part of my childhood! Really miss Crystal's sometimes. Loved the theater room that played Disney cartoons and the split-level arcade. Simply awesome!

Looks like a demo permit was issued to demolish the I-240 Pioneer Pies building.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Looks like a demo permit was issued to demolish the I-240 Pioneer Pies building.
    Is that the last one?

Where was the one on NW Expwy located? I remember it was between Macarthur and Rockwell on the north side of the road but I don't remember where exactly.

21. Default Re: Pioneer Pies Closing

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Is that the last one?

Where was the one on NW Expwy located? I remember it was between Macarthur and Rockwell on the north side of the road but I don't remember where exactly.
    If my memory isn't failing me... It was right here ----> https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5560...2!8i6656?hl=en

I wanna say it was here on Candlewood drive where Carsmetics is now? https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5552...7i13312!8i6656 I seem to recall it not being directly on NW Expressway.

23. Default Re: Pioneer Pies Closing

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I wanna say it was here on Candlewood drive where Carsmetics is now? https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5552...7i13312!8i6656 I seem to recall it not being directly on NW Expressway.
    That's possible... I just remember it was slightly north of where the Chelino's (originally Nino's) is.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yes, it was on the Carsmetics site:

That’s a cool old building. What’s going to replace it? Another cookie cutter generic box?

Thread Information