Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexford Park (formerly First Christian Church)

1. Default Re: First Christian Church

Im surprised that Mr Tweed has been there that long. He was my sister's drama teacher at Jarman Jr High in MWC back in the early 90s. He had left by the time i got to Jarman a few years later. I remember him being pretty tough on the kids but he encouraged them to work with Jewel even back then. I went with my family up to the Jewel to meet him one day to look at costumes. All i really remember from that long ago is how weird it smelled in there. LOL.

Default Re: First Christian Church

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Im surprised that Mr Tweed has been there that long. He was my sister's drama teacher at Jarman Jr High in MWC back in the early 90s. He had left by the time i got to Jarman a few years later. I remember him being pretty tough on the kids but he encouraged them to work with Jewel even back then. I went with my family up to the Jewel to meet him one day to look at costumes. All i really remember from that long ago is how weird it smelled in there. LOL.
    Holy crap! I hadn't clicked on the link until I read your post. Mr. Tweed was one of my teachers in high school at Del City, mid-90s. Great guy. I had wondered what he was up to.

On a related note, I've had a hard time finding old teachers on Facebook. It's amazing how all my male teachers have the first name "Mister" and all my female teachers were named "Mrs".

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    That prop/costume room has always smelled weird. I went up there for the first time in about ten years a few months ago, and it had the same odor.

I think he left Jarman for Del City, but he didn't retire from teaching until recently (meaning the past 5-10 years, I think).

It's a cool and unique building for sure. That congregation just never caught up with the times. I recall I used to attend Youth Orchestra rehearsals there in the early/mid 90s in their youth building. I remember that it looked basically unused for 20 years prior. Nothing was new. There were a handful of memorial plaques on the wall for dead children. None were recent. A dying/dead youth program doesn't ever bode well for a church congregation.

The Church itself is a treasure, though the acoustics leave a lot to be desired.

5. Default Re: First Christian Church

I believe there was a bad internal feud with much of the congregation and the pastor who was there into the later 90s. That portion of the congregation left and it wasn't the same after.

Blog Entries

That is correct. Don Alexander was the long time pastor there. He was a fantastic speaker. Things were pretty good there in the 80s with a strong childrens program, MDO, etc. It all came apart in the late 90s.

https://newsok.com/article/2719370/l...ds-over-pastor

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    That is correct. Don Alexander was the long time pastor there. He was a fantastic speaker. Things were pretty good there in the 80s with a strong childrens program, MDO, etc. It all came apart in the late 90s.

https://newsok.com/article/2719370/l...ds-over-pastor
    Yes, but wasn't it Don's father who was the reason for the church's heyday? Seems things really started going downwards when the senior Alexander died and Don took over.

Blog Entries

Probably so - we went there in the early 80s into the early 90s and it was still a pretty strong church but with an older congregation base and you could sort of see the writing on the wall, especially in hindsight.

They had some fun events - their Halloween/Fall Harvest event was awesome. They did hay rides down by that creek with a tractor and people jumped out and scared the kids - it was a can't miss event in our view.

My wife was actually teaching kindergarten there the morning of the Murrah building bombing.

My wife was actually teaching kindergarten there the morning of the Murrah building bombing.
    I was working at Jewel Box at that time. That day we had a show that was supposed to open, we canceled, obviously. It was my job to call the volunteers for the week and let them know the opening would be postponed. One of our volunteers, I learned a day or two later, had died in the Murrah building.

Blog Entries

The families of the missing gathered at the Church as well. I forget things like that until I start thinking about it. I recall taking things up there - it was just gut wrenching. I guess this all flows into the history of the property as a community landmark.

The families of the missing gathered at the Church as well. I forget things like that until I start thinking about it. I recall taking things up there - it was just gut wrenching. I guess this all flows into the history of the property as a community landmark.
    The Jewel Box was where all the media gathered to keep them separate from the families. Governor Keating, the mayor, various other leaders, as well as celebrities, etc. all used the Jewel Box for press conferences. Those first few days I remember being amazed at the way the community came together, and how quickly the food and supplies showed up, and kept showing up.

I'm really concerned about the Jewel Box and the church. Does anybody have contacts with Ed Harris (the actor)? He has a significant emotional investment in the Jewel Box. Martha Knott believed in Ed and Ed still credits Martha and the Jewel Box when discussing his career. He literally became an actor while at the Jewel Box. I know he's very good friends with Martha's son, Robert, also an actor, and a writer in Los Angeles (who. in fact, was selected by Robert Parker's estate to continue the Parker series - and to great acclaim.). I can't help but think he and Robert and maybe others might be interested in helping save FCC and the truly legendary theatre in the round that is the Jewel Box.

A couple of great articles:

https://www.npr.org/2014/03/08/28729...oesnt-remember
    https://therake.com/stories/icons/method-man-ed-harris/

Oh, and be sure and check out OKC Mod's three-part series on the church - great pictures too!
    https://okcmod.com/2016/08/celebrati...church-part-1/

^

There have been rumors floating around that the iconic structure may be demolished by possible purchasers of the property.

As a reminder, it is not located in a design or historic district and therefore demolition is a simple matter of obtaining a permit that does not require any sort of approval process. About as tough as getting a garage sale permit.

15. Default Re: First Christian Church

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Yes, but wasn't it Don's father who was the reason for the church's heyday? Seems things really started going downwards when the senior Alexander died and Don took over.
    No. Don was successful for quite some time after his dad died. There was some sort of dispute and split in the congregation in the mid to late 90s. I don't know the story or exact time period.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    No. Don was successful for quite some time after his dad died. There was some sort of dispute and split in the congregation in the mid to late 90s. I don't know the story or exact time period.
    I can say the congregation was dwindling in the early 90s. The church got a major boost from hosting the Red Cross after the bombing, but they had started downhill, financially, at least as early as '92. The dispute and split you speak of must have happened a bit earlier than you estimate, and I can't remember what it was that caused the rift.

Either way, the church has been in decline since, at least, the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

There have been rumors floating around that the iconic structure may be demolished by possible purchasers of the property.

As a reminder, it is not located in a design or historic district and therefore demolition is a simple matter of obtaining a permit that does not require any sort of approval process. About as tough as getting a garage sale permit.
    Similar to Founders Bank, so yeah, demo could happen at any time with pretty much no notice.

Demolition of iconic First Christian church deemed 'imminent'

Ward 2 Councilman Ed Shadid received notice from a member of the board of the First Christian Church of Oklahoma City, 3700 N. Walker Ave., that the church property was under contract to a buyer who would only complete the purchase on the condition that existing buildings — including the iconic sanctuary — be demolished.

Shadid was invited to speak to the church board to better educate it on the possible roadblocks that might present themselves and stand in the way of the property sale. Shadid was told the potential buyer has become nervous due to recent publicity surrounding a possible demolition.

Shadid said that he would be in the Okalhoma City Council meeting at that time and could not attend.

Over the last several months, rumors have circulated that there was a plan in place to raze the structure, once promoted on postcards as the “Church of Tomorrow.”

Due tor related concerns, Shadid brought up the subject at the most recent city council meeting on Feb. 12, recognizing that the city might need to take action or risk losing yet another building with historic and architectural significance.

Just in the last few years, the city has seen the demolition of Stage Center and United Founders Bank, and nearly lost the Donnay Building at Classen Circle before Braum’s Ice Cream and Dairy Store’s plans met public opposition and were ultimately withdrawn.

Because First Christian does not fall within the geographic boundaries of a city design review committee, demolition merely requires a simple permit that is often issued the same day an application is submitted.

Oklahoma City Council can vote to designate any property within city limits as a historic landmark. Once in place, an owner or future buyer would be required to obtain approval from the Historic Preservation Commission before any significant exterior modification can be made, including partial or full demolition.

As the current owner is likely to oppose such a move, positive votes from at least 7 of 9 council members would be necessary. Only a simple majority is required without owner opposition.

Shadid said he will introduce a historic landmark resolution for the church property at the March 12 council meeting. Although there is a meeting scheduled for next Tuesday, the deadline for placing an item on the meeting agenda has passed.

For over a year, the church has attempted to sell the property, which is comprised of several buildings set on a scenic 32-acre plot bordering the historic neighborhoods of Crown Heights and Edgemere Park.

The site at NW 36th Street between Walker Avenue and Interstate 235 drew an ambitious commercial development proposal in 2008 that was ultimately withdrawn due to public backlash.

In addition to the soaring domed sanctuary that was built in 1956, the property also includes the Jewel Box Theatre, an office building for Oklahoma Disciples, Trinity School and a large amphitheater.

Indications are that the church now has less than 100 members and due to the size of the main sanctuary, now hold services in an ancillary building instead.

There is currently a petition drive to save the buildings by local preservationist Lynne Rostochil, who was involved in a similar movement in support of the Donnay Building.

Rostochil's grandfather, architect R. Duane Conner, designed First Christian,.

Thus far, over 3,800 have signed the petition, which can be viewed here: https://www.change.org/p/okie-mod-sq...ristian-church

No! This city must take a stand. This includes the historic Jewel Box Theatre - a theatre in the round that continues to have sell-out shows. Can Mayor Holt call an emergency meeting? Can they vote to override the agenda deadline for Tuesday’s meeting and take a vote on historic landmark status then? But it may be gone by Tuesday. This is all hands on deck for all that feel Oklahoma City deserves to keep this beautiful campus. Leaders - step up. Money and the ability to do whatever one wants in this city should NOT be absolute.

^^^ this!!!

Blog Entries

Could the church site be repurposed as one of the Wellness Centers the city wants build, get a sponsor to operate or become part of parks & recreation. The theater & amphitheater has a lot of potential could be leased out by the city for weddings, picnics and multiple-events.

How about a law firm similar to what Dan Davis group did with the historic Calvary Baptist Church or the Arts Council of Oklahoma. A huge restaurant, cafeteria or food court. Interurban multi-denominational worship center supported by a number of churches, like a National Cathedral.

Parcel out (sell) different areas of this complex for various uses...

Let's save this structure much like we did with the Gold Dome.

Ownership rights and zoning allow this to be demoed Unless a buyer steps up that wants to keep the structure I likely will be gone soon

Guilt. It is our best hope, IMO.

The First Christian Church campus was a bold, visionary effort of the post WWII Disciples Of Christ to gain prominence in Oklahoma City and beyond. It was a great success and they benefitted socially and financially IMO. If they allow it to be destroyed, for any reason, then their effort will be shown to be a failure. If what I think I have read is true, and the fellowship has dwindled to less than 100 people (most over age 70), then mortality and legacy should be top of mind for them. What was a beacon for the eternal and life changing power of believing in the Lord Jesus Christ will be seen as another symbol of the arrogance of man in the name of their god. The outrage concerning this reflects the success of their original effort. This is not a commercial building. It has represented the eternal and destruction would be short sighted.

Beside, what are they gonna do with the money? Surely they aren't going to split it amongst themselves? money is like a vapor, it comes and goes. There's a reason it's called "cash flow".

Blog Entries

I would be curious to know the state/condition of the building. Many years ago when we attended FCC there were significant maintenance issues, leaks, etc. The cost of keeping it in decent condition is pretty significant.

And I assume, regardless of that, the current leadership has decided to sell. So absent a big about-face, that ship has sailed and a new owner will decide the fate of the building and rest of the property.

I would be curious to know the state/condition of the building. Many years ago when we attended FCC there were significant maintenance issues, leaks, etc. The cost of keeping it in decent condition is pretty significant.

And I assume, regardless of that, the current leadership has decided to sell. So absent a big about-face, that ship has sailed and a new owner will decide the fate of the building and rest of the property.
    I'm guessing you know how the Disciples of Christ structures property ownership? Is each congregation a separate entity that makes all decisions?

Thread Information