Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC NW 50th & Western

Western Ave. NW 50th & Western

Demolition permit for the Conoco on the SE corner of 50th & Western.

Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Demolition permit for the Conoco on the SE corner of 50th & Western.
    Do we know what the plan is for that corner or is it a secret, too?

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Do we know what the plan is for that corner or is it a secret, too?
    Some sort of extra-special On Cue, but we only know this from insiders posting here, not from anything CHK has said.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Some sort of extra-special On Cue, but we only know this from insiders posting here, not from anything CHK has said.
    Thanks, Pete. I guess that's sort of an upgrade. Wish it was something more interesting, but those don't usually look too bad. Maybe it will put the 7-11 out of business... I know, I know. One can dream, though.

Chesapeake has submitted their plans for 50th & Western.

They are asking to rezone the property to a Planned Unit Development, which allows for CNG and gasoline sales as well as office space. I assume an On Cue will go on the corner but not sure about the rest of the buildings.

Note that the existing CNG station on the SE corner of 49th & Western may be replaced.

6. Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

1. The existing CNG station will not be active after planned development of the new property (the CNG pumps will be on the new property)

2. The existing CNG property will remain inactive until Chesapeake decides they want to do something with it or sell it

3. The representatives could not tell us how many pumps will be built at the new site (diagram shows 20)

4. Diesel fuel will also be available

5. It will be a 24 hour operation

6. The plans show 50 parking places

7. Current plan is to build the convenience store now and add retail space building later just south of the c-store and north of 49th

8. The property directly west of the fire station is zoned O2 and Chesapeake is seeking that it be rezoned to C3 to install the pumps

9. The neighborhood association that abuts the developing property has asked that a sound barrier be built (comment from the engineer was that would add too much to the cost of the project although one of the representatives did seem amenable to the idea); they also want 49th street closed – traffic has all ready increased (and speeding) there due to the existing CNG station. Representatives stated that the citizens must petition the city council to close the street – lengthy process. Engineer said the curb cut entrance from 49th was required by the project – it would not be removed.

10. Questions about height of the canopy, lighting and location of waste receptacles were asked – not known at this time

11. Representatives said they had done a traffic study and that it would not have a huge impact on the area. I asked if an independent study had been requested or could be done. City has staff who can do this or can authorize independent audit. Number of pumps not known yet – how can they predict the traffic (my opinion)?

with the gas station at 50th and western .. the traffic on 48th should go down ... and the traffic on western is not going to go up because of a new gas station

The site plan looks very good.

The convenience store will get a ton of teenager business.

Default NW 50th & Western

Renderings of Chesapeake project on the SW corner of NW 50th & Western.

Note that they are calling the operation "Peake".

Looking southeast:

Looking north, just south of intersection:

Looking southwest just east of the intersection:

Looking due west from eastern part of the property:

Default Re: NW 50th & Western

That is beautiful. I never expected I'd use that word for a gas station in OKC.

Ummm, not sure if "beautiful" is the first word that comes to mind...the last pic in particular reminds me of a (brutalist?) parking garage structure...looks like concrete column/beams...but I guess the blue and green are a nice touch...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    That is beautiful. I never expected I'd use that word for a gas station in OKC.
    Likewise, though for the life of me I canna imagine why a fuel/snack shop needs to bother with the expense of being smart-looking. Are enough people really willing to spend more on fuel, pop and snacks to offset the expense of a beyond attractive building v. your typical, not really ugly, OnCue, 7-11, etc.?

Kevin, I think you're operating on the assumption that CHK is breaking even on any of this development..LOL

15. Default Re: NW 50th & Western

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Likewise, though for the life of me I canna imagine why a fuel/snack shop needs to bother with the expense of being smart-looking. Are enough people really willing to spend more on fuel, pop and snacks to offset the expense of a beyond attractive building v. your typical, not really ugly, OnCue, 7-11, etc.?
    POPS in Arcadia seems to be quite a draw still.

Sure, if you can turn it into a "tourist trap"...LOL

Default I appreciated

Oh, that's Great Sir !!

I've got a not-completely-gelled thought on this, but Peake might be moving in the right direction on this one. I read (here, I think) that natural gas (of which N. America has a LOT) is cheaper and would make a great car fuel for us -- but there is a strong resistance to buying a NG-fueled vehicle. The purchase of a NG-fueled vehicle would go a LONG way to gaining some energy independence for the U.S. Maybe Chesapeake is doing a lot that just might change American minds on that resistance, an investment in their future, so to speak. Brutalist structure or not.

Well this gas station will serve both regular petro and CNG.

Chesapeake has made domestic distribution points for CNG a priority, to accomplish exactly what you say, Dubya.

Some new renderings:

What intersection is the top rendering taken at?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    What intersection is the top rendering taken at?
    Pete said earlier that the first view was looking SE. Wouldn't that have to be at 50th and Western with the stoplight?

Like it a lot.
    Reminds me of POPS

Hmmmm, ok...not seeing the resemblance...but to each their own
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34465297@N00/5938753405/
    and
    http://route66.com/38.0.html
    It’s futuristic vision rising from the pastoral Arcadian valley itself, with its native Oklahoma red rock base and steel trusses like giant tree branches. The huge canopy cantilevers, unsupported, 100 feet to shelter vehicles and their occupants from sun, rain and snow. So big, it creates an “outdoor room,” it’s an unexpected sensation we bet you’ve never experienced -- with wildflowers and trees all around you.

Okay, maybe more like the Classen Curve.
    But you can tell they all reflect similar architectural style.

Thread Information