Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC NW 50th & Western

Default Re: NW 50th & Western

Well it's all Rand.

This project was recommended against by the planning council (or they deadlocked and couldn't decide) so today it went to City Council where after much debate it passed.

Doesn't seem like CHK is slowing down much in it's real estate exploits.

How was there much debate?? This should have been rubberstamped..

There was a lot of opposition from the immediate neighborhood and the planning department failed to give it's approval which is why it went to City Council.

For the most part, it seems the Planning Department is really on the ball. If you read through all the applications that come before them and their responses, they are well thought-out and reasoned.

I'm not saying this project should not have been approved, just that they did their job well but listening to the neighbors, pointing out there was no traffic study, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There was a lot of opposition from the immediate neighborhood and the planning department failed to give it's approval which is why it went to City Council.

For the most part, it seems the Planning Department is really on the ball. If you read through all the applications that come before them and their responses, they are well thought-out and reasoned.

I'm not saying this project should not have been approved, just that they did their job well but listening to the neighbors, pointing out there was no traffic study, etc.
    for the most part i agree with you .. however a couple of the planning commissioners IMHO are a little too demanding and unrealistic ....

this site for example was zoned C-3 ... so chk could have built any number of things that would not have been good for the neighbors .. but they eliminated tons of uses and clearly are going to build a great product ...

IMHO the vote would have good CHK's way if the full Planning committee had been present

Given our history and previous standards, I think it's a good thing they tend to be a bit strict.

I've yet to see them stop a project, just raise concerns which are then either addressed or taken to a higher authority.

They seem to have the balance right IMO.

I used to live on 50th and something like that would have been really nice.

That crappy little Connoco was an awful gas station, even if the lady that worked days was nice. I'm glad that the plans got subjected to some rigorous reviews.

Given our history and previous standards, I think it's a good thing they tend to be a bit strict.

I've yet to see them stop a project, just raise concerns which are then either addressed or taken to a higher authority.

They seem to have the balance right IMO.
    I hate to see good projects face unnecessary scrutiny and bad projects face no scrutiny. That's what we have here.

Chesapeake has now applied to close 49th Street where this development borders.

Initial recommendation of the planning department is to deny but the committee will make the final decision.

Since when did closing 49th become part of the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Since when did closing 49th become part of the deal?
    The residents on 49th requested it. They fear increased traffic on their street if it remains open. Chesapeake said they would request it if that is what the residents wanted. The city opposes closure for public safety access reasons. You can watch the discussion on the recent application hearing.
    Last edited by RodH; 08-04-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Sigh... why is dealing with the small ghetto corner of the Crown Heights area so much more difficult than dealing with neighbors who are appreciative of investment and improvement? 49th is important to remain open so that this slick new project is open to the street grid and has that authentic urban feel, is accessible to mixed-uses around it, and so on. Public safety access is also another major concern.

Those homes on 49th behind this project are a dump. It's a very small, tiny sliver of dumpiness -- a block over, closer to Westminster (which I think is technically Douglass Park and not Crown Heights?) homes get very nice again.

Hopefully it's denied. It would be just silly to close a road for fear of increased traffic that is simply not going to happen. I can't imagine a good reason that traffic would increase on a residential street. You neither approach nor leave gas stations from small streets unless you had business to be on those streets in the first place...otherwise it's more time consuming than taking the main arteries the station sits on.

Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

per Dennis Box at the last planning commission meeting a building permit has been applied for the "peake" gas/cng staion at 49th and western and he expects construction to start shortly ..

Although the buzz is that this project is on indefinite hold, CHK has a new application in front of the planning commission to incorporate another border home into the Planned Unit Development. The use would just be more parking.

Perhaps this is just finishing a planning approval process that started a long time ago and not a sign they will be under construction any time soon. But it could also mean they hope to still build at some point.

The latest submitted plan doesn't show any changes to the proposed building configuration:

There also seems to be a lot of demolition and construction on the property caddy corner of this site. The long vacant bank has been razed and dirt work appears to be in full swing. I wonder if this has anything to do the Peake development...

That same bank is building a 2-story office building on the NW corner of 50th and Western, so it's not related to Chesapeake.

That same bank is building a 2-story office building on the NW corner of 50th and Western, so it's not related to Chesapeake.
    The drive thru bank building that was torn down was an IBC Bank. Whats going up is First National Bank, which has a small branch next to the split T Sonic.

Thanks for the clarification!

The new gas station looks pretty nice! It is overdue since the other gas stations are old and trashy

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    The new gas station looks pretty nice! It is overdue since the other gas stations are old and trashy
    I agree. I'm surprised there is not a new gas station on 36th after they rebuilt the i235/36th interchange. There used to be a gas station at 36th and Walker. Anyone knows who owns that property? It would be a prime spot for a "fancy" gas station.

Also 36th and western would work, but they are asking $500,000 for that vacant lot, probably a bit too much for a gas station developer.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    I agree. I'm surprised there is not a new gas station on 36th after they rebuilt the i235/36th interchange. There used to be a gas station at 36th and Walker. Anyone knows who owns that property? It would be a prime spot for a "fancy" gas station.
    I believe the Crown Heights/Edgemere Heights HOA owns the land on the NW corner of 36th and Walker. They bought that to prevent anything getting built there and creating a not so wonderful aesthetic entrance to the neighborhood. Not sure who owns the property on the SE corner, but you can bet both HOAs would fight any sort of gas station development.

Personally, I'd hate to see a gas station built at 36th & Western. It'd be great to see that land developed into some nicer apartment/town homes. Western needs more density, not more setback shops and gas stations. I don't understand the fascination with new gas stations (no offense intended SSEiYah).

Western Ave. Update on SEC of NW 50th & Western

I know this has been discussed previously but I couldnt' find the post.

Does anyone have an update on the project?

Chesapeake is still moving forward with having some of the side streets closed.

Have no idea if they plan to build this project, something else or nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post
    I believe the Crown Heights/Edgemere Heights HOA owns the land on the NW corner of 36th and Walker. They bought that to prevent anything getting built there and creating a not so wonderful aesthetic entrance to the neighborhood. Not sure who owns the property on the SE corner, but you can bet both HOAs would fight any sort of gas station development.

Personally, I'd hate to see a gas station built at 36th & Western. It'd be great to see that land developed into some nicer apartment/town homes. Western needs more density, not more setback shops and gas stations. I don't understand the fascination with new gas stations (no offense intended SSEiYah).
    I think an adaptive reuse of the station could be a good entry, something like this project in Minneapolis that converted one into an ice cream store. Outdoor seating areas under awnings could create a nice neighborhood feel.

AIA - Adaptive Reuse of Gas Station Wins Preservation Award

Thread Information