Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Miller & Johnson Building

Default Re: Miller & Johnson Building

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I guess I am the odd man out here. I think it is a nice enough looking building but it reminds me of a suburban hotel design. The typical 3 story Hampton type hotels. It may be that it isn't pushed to the street and has landscaping instead. Can't quite put my thumb on it.
    I feel the same way. You are not alone.

HangryHippo Guest

I guess I am the odd man out here. I think it is a nice enough looking building but it reminds me of a suburban hotel design. The typical 3 story Hampton type hotels. It may be that it isn't pushed to the street and has landscaping instead. Can't quite put my thumb on it.
    It does look a lot like a Hampton now that you mention it, lol.

The corner element is ugly, and those are not art deco details but that's okay, but this looks workable and contextually appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    You are not alone.
    Quoting MJ lyrics on the MJ building thread...

It's a nice building for what it is. I somewhat wish that what it is were different, but realistically it's not in a prime spot for retail activity.

I wish they would address the corner better as it wouldn't provide such a "what's going on?" moment in the future urban fabric, but it's not devastating either.

This is a pretty building but it is suburban design and would be really nice in Quail Springs Office Park or Nichols Hills.

It's pushed right to the corner with the parking behind, which is a critical urban principle.

8. Default Re: Miller & Johnson Building

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Would like to see some retail but even without, this is looks really nice.
    There would be absolutely no pull for retail here. And we're not in the central core, butting up to the curb isn't really necessary. Definitely a plus for the area.

Wish it were taller.

Just kidding.

Blog Entries

Wonder if this is the kind of development that will push Dowell into making his move with an apartment tower to the SW of this on the newish surface lot...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Wonder if this ... will push Dowell into making...
    That right there is a difficult feat for God Almighty...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Wonder if this is the kind of development that will push Dowell into making his move with an apartment tower to the SW of this on the newish surface lot...
    I don't think Dowell has the ability to take on that kind of project.

Blog Entries

He may not, but the model sitting on the floor of the Dowell Center shows a tower in that spot, so he's clearly thought about it.

Look at the rendering, then close your eyes, think brown, tan, EFIS, and open your eyes.
    jeep's perspective suddenly gets all too real

Here is a higher quality rendering.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hampton.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	13248

Just add a driveway out front

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hampton.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	13248

Just add a driveway out front
    On this point, I've been curious to know what the exterior material will be.....think it will go a long way to determining how this building looks. I'm hoping it will be stone and not the "hotel stucco" like Jeep's picture. I think the building could look good if they don't skimp on materials

The exterior will be cast stone with a small amount of EIFS.

I wish it were pushed directly to the sidewalk and didn't have a cascading effect along the sidewalk. Would be nice for it to be a straight line to the sidewalk.

If it were EIFS then it would look like a cheap hotel. If it's stone similar to the Beta house at OU, it will look fine.

This passed the DDRC today.

Proposed Miller and Johnson building closer to final approval

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record November 17, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Miller and Johnson law office used to have three conference rooms. Two of those are now used as offices, but things are about to get a little less cozy.

“We had to have a part-time person share space with a copier in the mailroom,” said Brad Miller, a partner at the firm. “We will have to make other part-time people split space with another person. I don’t think we’ll make it to February 2018.”

The firm occupies about 6,000 square feet at 1221 N. Francis Ave. It started with 3,500 square feet.

“We started with four partners and a full-time legal assistant,” said Jami Antonisse, a firm partner. “In the last two-and-a-half years, we’ve added three full-time attorneys, two additional staff, and two part-time staff.”

The firm’s lease in its existing space is running out. The partners tried to find a new place but didn’t have any luck. Building their own space seemed liked the next best option.

Miller and three other partners formed a development company and worked with Norman-based Krittenbrink Architecture to design a $5 million, three-story, 20,000-square-foot building. It will be constructed at 500 NW Sixth St. The lot is at the southwest corner of N. Hudson Avenue and Sixth Street.

Shawn Lorg with Krittenbrink presented the project Thursday at the Downtown Design Review Committee meeting. The city planning staff’s review of the project came with several variance requests. The staff also recommended moving the approval to January’s DDRC meeting.

Lorg said the firm couldn’t wait that long.

“We need to expedite the process,” he said.

Lorg addressed the staff’s concerns, and by the end of his presentation, the committee did not have any objections. One staff recommendation was to get a variance on the setback distance from the sidewalk. Committee chairwoman Betsy Brunsteter said the setback was necessary and she recommended Lorg getting a variance.

The staff recommended redesigning the retaining wall because it was too close to the traffic signal and could block drivers’ views. The commission agreed with the recommendation. Lorg will have to return to DDRC to get approval for a new retaining wall design if it’s kept with the project.

“I don’t think the retaining wall complements your building at all,” said Gigi Faulkner, committee member.

Chuck Ainsworth, who is also on the committee, gave high praise to the project. He made the recommendation to approve the project if Lorg gets the variance and comes back to review the retaining wall and a landscape plan.

“I think it’s a beautiful building,” he said. “The cut limestone hits my sweet spot. I love it. I drive by there every day, and I think it’s going to be a real spectacular deal.”

Krittenbrink Architecture will be able to move forward on the project, even with the required approvals still needed.

The building isn’t just a new home for Miller and Johnson, Miller said. The development group, P Drive Properties, will lease space to other companies as well.

He said he’s glad the DDRC didn’t find any major concerns with the project.

“(Today’s approval) keeps us on schedule,” he said. “That is very important to us so we can get into that building on our current course, which is February 2018.”

Could block drivers views? So how do people drive in every other major urbanized city in the world that don't have buildings set back so they don't block driver views?

Sounded like the concern was the location (height?) of the proposed retaining wall at the corner, not the building itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Sounded like the concern was the location (height?) of the proposed retaining wall at the corner, not the building itself.
    Is this building closer to the corner and taller than other buildings in urban areas in general? Honest question.

Thread Information