Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Applebee's

1. Large Chain Applebee's

No suprise as they had probably the slowest business of anyone on Memorial. But I always wondered why?

Default Re: Applebees On Memorial Closed

Because it's Applebees?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Because it's Applebees?
    Ding, ding, ding!

Because it's Applebees?
    Not necessarily. I think Applebees is one of those chains where quality varies too widely from location to location. The location in Moore has been pretty consistent for us, and its a decent family alternative for us, but some other locations are just awful - slow, food not cooked right, you name it. That's all QC in my book.

I completely agree with this. I have seen the same issues in Tulsa area Applebee stores. The newest one in Broken Arrow is great... and after a while they closed the old one. My guess is the Memorial Road store has been under-performing for some time due to bad management, personnel issues, etc. That's usually how it goes. The one in Edmond on Broadway Extension has historically had better food and service, comparatively, and the same can be said for the NW Expressway and I-40/MacArthur locations.

Having been a regular patron of both the Memorial and the NW Expy Applebees, I can say the biggest reason for choosing Applebees was the location. If we went as far north as Memorial, we rarely went to that Applebees because there were so many better choices. The one on NW Expressway doesn't have near the competition (I don't consider Rib Crib to be competition) and it was more convenient as our group was coming in from varied addresses We always had good service at both locations.

Obviously, I was poking a bit of fun, but I really do think there are far more choices for families these days. I'm a bit surprised restaurants like Applebee's are even still around. I've not been to one in years, and, while the food was consistent, it was still very chainy. I feel the same way about Texas Roadhouse, Ihop, etc. To each their own, of course, but with so many choices, especially on Memorial, their closure doesn't surprise me.

I am probably not the demographic they are targeting, however If I recall correctly I have ate at Applebee's maybe 5 times in my life. was never my choice and while it wasn't horrible it never made me want to suggest it for future dining. and that location I can see struggling. there are too many better choices.

Obviously, I was poking a bit of fun, but I really do think there are far more choices for families these days. I'm a bit surprised restaurants like Applebee's are even still around. I've not been to one in years, and, while the food was consistent, it was still very chainy. I feel the same way about Texas Roadhouse, Ihop, etc. To each their own, of course, but with so many choices, especially on Memorial, their closure doesn't surprise me.
    Now I'll disagree with you there on Texas Roadhouse. That it's a chain doesn't bother me in the slightest. For me, they are one of the most consistent steakhouses in town. The taste of the food or the quality of the cook isn't, to me, affected by its chain status. The TRH at the old Crossroads is a superbly consistent place and has been for years. We always enjoy it.

10. Default Re: Applebees On Memorial Closed

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    The TRH at the old Crossroads is a superbly consistent place and has been for years. We always enjoy it.
    I was served the most interestingly cooked steak at that TRH one time... It's the only steak I've ever been served that consisted of every doneness.... It started out well done on one side and by the time I got to the bone it was rare.... It was the most amazing feat of steak cooking I have ever seen and I wasn't sure whether to be appalled or impressed at the skill level required to accomplish such a feat.

11. Default Re: Applebees On Memorial Closed

Now I'll disagree with you there on Texas Roadhouse. That it's a chain doesn't bother me in the slightest. For me, they are one of the most consistent steakhouses in town. The taste of the food or the quality of the cook isn't, to me, affected by its chain status. The TRH at the old Crossroads is a superbly consistent place and has been for years. We always enjoy it.
    As do a lot of people. The TRH om Memorial has become a regular stop the past couple of months. Between 5 and 8 PM any day of the week you are in for a wait.

I find that TRH can vary in consistency from place to place as well. The one in Tulsa/Broken Arrow is great. My girlfriend and I have stopped in for a casual dinner after work many times. They have great service and great food at that location. Unfortunately, the Memorial Rd location here in OKC just doesn't cut it, and has poorer service and food comparatively.

I meant no offense, of course. TRH just isn't that terrific, to me, that I'd want to stand around for an hour or so to get a table. Look at the line outside Olive Garden on a Saturday night and you'll see the same thing. Consistency, in my opinion, doesn't always mean quality. If the food were better, I'd go there. That's the bottom line to me. I really have nothing against chains, per se, but I have so few opportunities to go out with my wife, for example, and I wouldn't waste a date night at TRH, unless we sat at the bar eating their rolls with that sweet butter. Those are delicious!

Rock and Brews is a chain I frequent regularly, because their beer selection is terrific, and all the food I've had there has been consistently good. I just think most non-chains have better quality food than chains, at least, around the metro. That's just my opinion, of course. I would never judge anyone for loving a chain restaurant. Life is short, eat what makes you happy!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    As do a lot of people. The TRH om Memorial has become a regular stop the past couple of months. Between 5 and 8 PM any day of the week you are in for a wait.
    Which brings up another question I have...Why do people insist on standing in lines for hours for dinner around here? There are so many choices, I just have never understood waiting for an hour to eat, unless it's some super-exclusive spot (I'd still have a real hard time being convinced to stand in line). I guess some of these places, like TRH, are destinations for out-of-towners, and I can understand that. Folks in Okarche may think I'm an idiot for standing in line for a table at Eischen's.

Which brings up another question I have...Why do people insist on standing in lines for hours for dinner around here? There are so many choices, I just have never understood waiting for an hour to eat, unless it's some super-exclusive spot (I'd still have a real hard time being convinced to stand in line). I guess some of these places, like TRH, are destinations for out-of-towners, and I can understand that. Folks in Okarche may think I'm an idiot for standing in line for a table at Eischen's.
    I agree.. like cheesecake factory.. WHY!!!.. just go somewhere else.

16. Default Re: Applebees On Memorial Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I agree.. like cheesecake factory.. WHY!!!.. just go somewhere else.
    I've waited in line at The Cheesecake Factory (not by choice) and I've waited in a line at McDonald's..... McDonald's was better!

17. Default Re: Applebees On Memorial Closed

I agree also. I pretty much won't wait. However, we go to the bar areas which is my preference anyway. Very rarely are there not two seats empty anywhere we go.

I might think you are an idiot for driving to Okarche just for some average chicken and okra...which you can get anywhere lol

I stop in at the Schlozky's next door for lunch now and then, and each time, most of the cars in Applebee's parking lot were Schlotzky's customers who parked there and walked over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    I might think you are an idiot for driving to Okarche just for some average chicken and okra...which you can get anywhere lol
    To each his own. It's my favorite fried chicken, plus the drive out there makes it kind of a special trip for the kids, when we take them. I've tried a lot of chicken around here, and none is better, to me, than Eischen's.

I've waited an hour and a half at republic before, but there was a thunder game was and there were a few spots to have a beer during the wait. I don't really mind the wait if there's some entertainment or a cool bar to wait at.

It's easier to understand the waiting in Stillwater. Not many choices. I've had to wait for a table at Olive Garden before, even though it was 8:30. One needs to get to Texas Roadhouse by 6pm to be sure of no wait. There's nothing else like Texas Roadhouse in town.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I've waited an hour and a half at republic before, but there was a thunder game was and there were a few spots to have a beer during the wait. I don't really mind the wait if there's some entertainment or a cool bar to wait at.
    I agree, I don't mind waiting if there's a bar. Republic is always packed, it seems, when I visit. Looking forward to the new location opening up.

Hearing this news, just bums me out. This particular AppleBee's location, was my "Go-To" for special occasion dining, as well as an easy pick for hosting out of town guests/business clients visiting OKC for the very first time. It continues to be more and more challenging each and every day, to find good/quality food here in OKC.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the building/current space? I can't help but to think, that it would be an awesome location for a Chili's. (fingers crossed)

25. Default Re: Applebees On Memorial Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    It continues to be more and more challenging each and every day, to find good/quality food here in OKC.
    I thought you were being sarcastic until you made the Chili's comment..... The dining scene in OKC is better now than I can ever remember it being. The reason you aren't finding gooq/quality food is because you're hanging out at crappy national chains.... I'd put any Hal Smith or Good Egg restaurant over an Applebee's/Chili's and there are several smaller restaurateurs operating here now that I would choose over those two groups.

Thread Information