Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cuppies & Joe

Uptown/23rd Cuppies & Joe

http://www.cuppiesandjoe.com/

So I went to Cuppies and Joe on Friday for their grand opening. Atmosphere is nice and cozy, there were probably 4-5 people in line. They were real unorganized though. Didn't greet me when I came in or a couple other folks who walked in right after. They had several employees just lounging around doing nothing or just walking around. They could have easily greeted customers as the line was forming awkwards since no one really knew what to do. Found out I ended up knowing one of the owners once I got to the "front" of the line. She was nice but busy. She said they were a little ambitious for telling people they were open, so I'll cut them some slack since it will take awhile to get the kinks out. What I don't excuse is lazy employees just lounging around and walking around doing pretty much nothing, when they could have been helping or talking to customers. The line went by real slow since only one worker was working in the front part of the store. There may have been more back in the kitchen working. It appeared they only had some coffee drinks ready to order and 3 kinds of cupcakes to order. I had a chocolate with chocolate icing. It was nice and moist (plus over Sara Sara), the size was the average small size you would make in your home (smaller than Sara Sara), Price was $2.50, so a little cheaper, but it tasted like something you could make yourself and not get at a gourmet shop. Sara Sara has them beat on selection and quality and size. They were "out" of milk or actually just hadn't arrived yet in individual "bottles", but since I knew one of the girls working there, she poured me a small glass of milk in a to-go coffee cup and just charged me a little less for that. That was nice to have with my cupcake, since coffee didn't sound good. I'll definitely be back to give them another shot after they work the kinks out, but for now, I'm sticking with Sara Sara (unless I'm in Cali and will go to Kara's).

2. Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

I'll have to check it out. What are their hours?

Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

It's on their website, I think like 11am-7:30pm or something like that.

4. Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

Here's a link to the website:

Home | Cuppies & Joe Cupcakes in Oklahoma City

Hours are listed on the "find us" page. Right now it's 12-9 Tu-Th and 11-11 Fri and Sat.

My family and I went on Saturday and we loved it. The buttercream frosting was to die for. I can't compare to Sara Sara because I haven't been yet. The atmosphere is very nice with a lot of intimate seating areas where one can just sit back and relax and read a book a while.

I would like to comment on the remarks made by the visitor to Cuppies and Joe on on 12/21/2008 (link #1). I wish he/she would have spared the negative comments since the establishment had just been open for a matter of hours. C $ J is owned and run by a wonderful Christian family. This is their first venture into the "business world." Needless, to say, as with any new business, kinks take time to be worked out. The writer commented that there were several lazy employees just lounging around when he/she entered the desert cafe. C & J has hired no employees. It is family staffed. On opening day, the owner and two of her daughters were at the cafe and I know that they were not lounging around. I visited the cafe on 12/20 and again on 12/22 and all family members (joined by the third daughter and husband) were hard at work. Whoever was "lounging around" on opening day would no doubt have been customers or friends who dropped by. Matter of fact, both days that I visted the establishment, friends were lending a hand by collecting dirty dishes, etc. C & J is a warmly and personally decorated cafe. The family has worked hard to create an atmosphere that invites the customer to stay and "hang out." The owners are one of the nicest families that you will ever meet. I'm sure they have been overwhelmed the first few days of businesses (both times that I have visited have been very busy with customers) and therefore had not intentionally failed to greet the customers. The writer also commented that they only had three kinds of cupcakes available at the time of his/her visit. There is a reason for that. Within the first hours of business, the top shelf fell in the display case ruining dozens of their cupcakes. Also, their cupcakes are $2 , not $2.50. I hope the writer will go back soon and give them another shot. This time, sit, relax, and stay awhile.

is this place laptop-friendly? are there lots of outlets?

Quote Originally Posted by okyeah View Post
    is this place laptop-friendly? are there lots of outlets?
    yes there are lots of outlets and free wi-fi

We ordered some of the Roman Holiday (tiramisu) cuppies to take to my parents on Christmas and they were incredible. I was wishing I had ordered them in full-size instead of mini.

I went to C&J on their opening day and yes, it was a little slow, but they were nothing but nice and friendly, and were working as hard as they could be. The did apologize for only having a few flavors available, explaining that the shelf fell, ruining most of their supply. I had the red velvet, and it was incredibly delicious. I have had Sara Sara cupcakes on several occasions, and would pick C&J over Sara Sara any day. It was very moist, and the frosting was excellent. The place is charming, and a great place to hang out. I've been recommending it to everyone because I think it's a great spot.

I went to C&J yesterday and the place was absolutely packed! Everyone was gushing about the cupcakes, and I must admit that I was impressed as well. I had the Na' Na' (banana) and it was absolutely wonderful!

12. Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

I heard they had a full service coffee bar - has anyone tried anything?

Yes, they have a full service coffee bar. I had a vanilla latte and it was good, that said, I don't have anything to compare it to other than starbucks. My wife absolutely loved their hot chocolate.

My wife ordered the peanut butter and chocolate cupcake and she has been going back every few days to get them. I had the carret cake cupcake and apple pie, both were excellent and I would definitely get them again.

Yes, they'll make you any kind of coffee drink that you want.

AB's .. I didn't say 'cuppies' would keep me from going... just think the name is a little too cute.

I had a latte and it was great . Don't know what brand they use but I liked it. Going back after work today.

My family and I went by at 5 til 11 last night on our way home from downtown and it was still packed. We did not go by there with the intention of stopping, we never dreamed it would be open so late (I did not read one of the previous posts well enough) but as soon as we saw the lights on we did an immediate turnaround and went right in. I wonder if these people are getting any sleep?

They are in the wrong business if they want to get some sleep.

19. Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

Glad to hear they are doing well. Always good to see a new, unique local business do well.

I was there Saturday night too and it was packed. They are so nice and I loved the atmosphere. It reminds me of a place you would find on 23rd St in Portland, OR. It is trendy yet laid back and comfortable. I had the peanut butter with chocolate cupcake. It was awesome. I also had a hot chocolate, and it was great.

I am definitely going back. It is a great alternative to the bar scene on a Friday or Saturday night!

My wife and I stopped by after the Thunder game last night and there was literally not an empty seat or couch in the place. Its getting busier and busier every time we go.

I walked over the other day and bought an assortment. The Italian Creme was very good, and I did like their Red Velvet. Freindly service, cosy atmosphere. More unique businesses like this on 23rd to walk to, please!

23. Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

I stopped in in the afternoon a few days ago and had a vanilla bean cupcake. It was good. I think I might give the edge to Sara Sara on the cupcakes, but I LOVED the atmosphere at C&J. They did a great job with it. That little house has great, original built-in hardwood furniture, and they've kept it all. The china cabinet is where they store silverware and dishes. Very cozy and unique.

jbrown, just useless trivia, but all their wood chairs were bought from VZD's.

I just wanted to echo all the great reviews of this place. Its awesome. I certainly couldnt make them at home. I haven't tried the coffee yet, but the cuppies are great and the hang-out space is fantastic. Check out how many reviews there are on eataroundokc. That should tell you something.

Thread Information