Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Container Store

Default Re: Container Store

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm hoping that does not negate the far NW exit going North on Penn. That is my standard exit area because of the lack of traffic. I will not be pleased if that disappears but surely they won't rely on the traditional entrances and exits to totally satisfy a new store in that location.
    Based on the attached plans, it doesn't look like they are altering the entrances or exits on Pemn. I also use that hidden northbound exit only to Penn that no one seems to know about.

It's nice to get out of the area quickly.

I think George Carlin would have fun with this place if he were still here. " A place to buy stuff to put our stuff in, so we can organize our stuff, then hide our stuff,.... so we can buy more stuff".

Although a native of Oklahoma City (and raised in the shadow of Penn Square), I walk past (past) a Container Store virtually every working day in trendy SoCal and I just scratch my head at its continuing existence, never mind prosperity. More dollars that sense, but that's the oath of citizenship around here; one need look no further than Beverly Hills, for lack of a better word, architecture. I'm waiting for the CS cult myth house of cards to crash seismically. The downside--further choking of Penn Square parking and access--far outweighs the purported polyethylene nirvana.

Blog Entries

Agree with you, not really sure I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldestof4 View Post
    Although a native of Oklahoma City (and raised in the shadow of Penn Square), I walk past (past) a Container Store virtually every working day in trendy SoCal and I just scratch my head at its continuing existence, never mind prosperity. More dollars that sense, but that's the oath of citizenship around here; one need look no further than Beverly Hills, for lack of a better word, architecture. I'm waiting for the CS cult myth house of cards to crash seismically. The downside--further choking of Penn Square parking and access--far outweighs the purported polyethylene nirvana.
    SoCal could give Fashion Island to OKC and all of its problems would be solved and SoCal wouldn't miss one store. Okay that's not true buuuuuut it would solve all of OKC's retail problems for a lot of people it seems :P

I always thought it was kind of dumb, too. Until I went to one. They figured out how to make it work.

Also, Americans tend to have too much **** and like better ways to stack said **** in their garage.

The downside--further choking of Penn Square parking and access--far outweighs the purported polyethylene nirvana.
    I'm not commenting on the viability of the Container Store, but the problem with parking and access is really not an issue. The only time Penn Square has any parking problems is really a short period just before Christmas. This will have little affect on parking or access.

I'm just excited to find something to replace all my little jelly and baby food jars full of nuts and washers. And the tray with custom dividers for screws that don't really divide anything so the screws mix.

There's just something so satisfactory about the illusion that you dont have any stuff...then the drawer slides open and WHAM! Stuff! Organized stuff.

I assume this article pertains to this development:

Penn Square to add 23,000-square-foot outbuilding

OKLAHOMA CITY – A popular shopping destination is getting a new neighbor.

Penn Square Mall is seeking a simplified planned unit development for a 23,000-square-foot building. The SPUD calls for only retail use. The site measures 2.6 acres.

The proposed building would be constructed along N. Pennsylvania Avenue, north of The Cheesecake Factory and northwest of UMB Bank.

Simon Property Group owns the mall and the site. Simon Corporate Public Relations Manager Les Morris said the company could not announce a tenant at this time.

“We’re confident we’ll be able to announce something in the near future,” he said.

The tenant will likely be new to the market and have a regional draw, according to the SPUD application’s zoning information. The area has a regional district typology layer, making it a prime spot for regionally serving retail and entertainment uses.

“This includes national retailers that have a regional draw, as well as concentrations of retail that draw visitors from outside the city,” the application states.

The comprehensive plan gives priority to sales-tax-generating businesses, with housing and offices to complement.

The SPUD application calls for only one entrance to the site from N. Pennsylvania Avenue, with parking from the nearby mall being used as well.

On the city’s comprehensive plan, the site is marked as a place to revitalize because it would help strengthen existing retail uses.

Newmark Grubb Levy Strange Beffort retail broker Danny Ojeda said he’s heard that The Container Store is coming to the site. If that’s true, he said the store will do well in the area.

“Penn Square Mall is one of Simon’s best-performing malls,” he said. “I know The Cheesecake Factory does well. I think it’s the right fit for that property.”

The Container Store’s media relations assistant, Melanie Griffin, said via email that the company has no immediate plans for Oklahoma City.

She said the company often opens stores next to other retailers with similar customers.

“We value locations with a high density of our customer base, which is comprised of time- and space-starved customers who value our unique collection of products and high level of customer service,” Griffin wrote.

Other stores that measure about 23,000 square feet include Marshall’s, Barnes & Noble, and The Tile Shop.

The city Planning Commission was scheduled to review the SPUD Thursday, but the review was moved to a December meeting.

Yes, this is for the Container Store it's just that Penn Square / Simon is very guarded.

I've known about this for months and they just recently filed the planning documents with the name of the tenant blanked out, but it's obviously Container Store.

This project was delayed today by the Planning Commission as they want Simon (mall owner) to work with home owners on some minor issues, such as screening.

Neighbors petition to keep retail project at bay
    By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record December 8, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – Some residents in the neighborhood north of Penn Square Mall will not support a zoning change.

The area is zoned for office use, but Penn Square’s owner, Simon Property Group, wants to rezone it for commercial retail use. The site would be zoned for long-term retail use because the zoning change is for a specified planned unit development

Simon Property Group wants to construct a 23,000-square-foot building. The tenant has not been named.

“We’ve been working on this for more than a year,” said Simon’s Rod Vosper, who presented the project during Thursday’s Planning Commission meeting.

“This tenant will be new to market and new to the state,” he said. “We think it will be a great asset. Regional malls are a mixture of tenants. We have to keep things fresh and moving.”

Vosper said he knew the neighborhood association had concerns with the project.

He addressed those issues during the meeting, but he had not presented those changes to the neighbors.

The commission told Vosper to meet again with the neighbors. Simon was given a continuance to January’s Planning Commission meeting.

Vosper said Simon was willing to close the north exit because residents wanted it, but he had since learned they’d prefer the exit open. He also said Simon was going to install lights designed to minimize light spillage; one hour after the store closed, the lights would be 75 percent dimmer than when the store is opened. He said Simon would also put a stockade fence from N. Pennsylvania Avenue to the retention pond so trash would not blow into neighbors’ yards.

But people near the site still addressed the commission with their concerns.

Marianne Carth presented the commission with a petition that had 80 signatures.

“The momentum against this is growing,” she said.

She said the neighborhood has always felt protected by the office-use zoning.

Commissioner Bob Bright said the site is on mall property, so the neighbors should have more open minds to what happens.

Resident Richard Tuoy said he was against the project as well, but he’s since changed his mind. He said he looked at Crossroads, Shepherd, and the Midwest City mall and really thought about what happened to those properties.

He said if Simon will meet the neighborhood’s requested changes as they have said they would, then he supports the project. He said Simon continues to bring in unique retailers such as The Cheesecake Factory and the Apple store.

With the SPUD zoning, the site will have a longtime commercial retail tenant.

“I think this ensures us that this is a longtime commitment to our neighborhood,” he said.

Can you say NIMBY? Good grief.

Because a bunch of trees and a creek are not screen enough for you.

You know what, I think we should probably just go ahead and close down Pennsylvania Ave. right there, because we wouldn't want these "neighbors" to be inconvenienced.

I would say my thoughts about every single person who signed that petition, but I'd rather be able to continue to access this site.

I don't think some of these people are unreasonable as the gist I'm getting is they don't want to halt the project but further increase the screening which is understandable to an extent. I think it will only make this project nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I don't think some of these people are unreasonable as the gist I'm getting is they don't want to halt the project but further increase the screening which is understandable to an extent. I think it will only make this project nicer.
    Look, I can understand if they want the light and sound to stay reasonable, but there's less than 10 houses that would be affected by it. And it sounds like they're willing to do that, but now you've got 80 signatures on a petition started by whom and to work against what?

This seems pretty central to the matter and is where I really get annoyed:

She said the neighborhood has always felt protected by the office-use zoning.
    Protected from what? What is it that an office won't do that an outlet retail shop right by a mall will? The answer is nothing. Because whatever negative side-affects you will have from a retail component, you're going to immediately get from the Mall.

What really "grinds my gears" is that there is always someone in one of these instances who is preying upon the ignorance of others and spreading ideas to impressionable neighbors that a worse-to-worst case scenario is going to follow through if they don't do something about it. Little research is done (though this partly lies with developers who insist on keeping quiet about details for as long as possible, which seems pretty counter-intuitive) and it's about stroking hysteria.

How in the world are there 80 signatures on this thing when no more than probably 16 adults could possibly be affected negatively?

BUT! Some people actually *drive* on their street when they come out of Penn Square!

Blog Entries

Where is this place exactly supposed to be located?

Blog Entries

How do you get 80 sigs? I know it is novel idea, but sometimes neighbors stick up for each other. I know it is fashionable to demean those who actually support those they like and want to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1 View Post
    Where is this place exactly supposed to be located?
    Here:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A
    The 23,000 square foot store would be at the far northwest corner of the Penn Square Mall parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    How do you get 80 sigs? I know it is novel idea, but sometimes neighbors stick up for each other. I know it is fashionable to demean those who actually support those they like and want to help.
    What a petition is supposed to do is demonstrate the number of people affected by an approval or an action taken by government. It's not a mechanism to show how popular the originator is with her/his neighbors.

Furthermore: concerns need to be specifically stated not "I don't want a lot owned by and located next to one of the biggest malls in the state to be rezoned to retail from office because I feel protected right now". Why don't you want that? What are your concerns? What are you being protected from?

Because if answers to those questions are not provided then, I'm sorry, but the complaint is not valid and I'm not listening...nor should the planning commission.

Blog Entries

It isn't about "liking" someone. It's about supporting their belief that they will be negatively impacted and defending the rights of the entire neighborhood. Things that happen in one part of the neighborhood certainly may affect property values in the rest of the neighborhood. If they are not a valid party then their petition will not be valid.

While I think this objection is not valid, the owners and their neighbors have a right to be heard.

We are talking about the neighborhood that has backed up to a mega shopping center that includes a Walmart, an entire mall, and a Cheesecake Factory for years? The one that is also bordered by a power station on one side and a cemetery on the other?

This is like someone complaining about living next to a highway that announces 1 extra car will drive on it each day.

Blog Entries

I guess it would be better to build a 20 story office tower on that site... let's just do that then...

Maybe if the neighbors knew it was to be a Container Store, they'd be a bit less worried. Those signing the petition could be thinking, say, Christie's Toy Box or the like. Not a cool place to buy stuff to organize your life.

Thread Information