Widgets Magazine

Thread: When the design of a road says the total opposite of the speed limit

Default When the design of a road says the total opposite of the speed limit

Driving through a small town the other day. 4 lanes with a 5th turn lane down the center of the road. There was way more road than there was traffic. The road was wide open and the design of the road said that it was there for you to go fast, however the speed limit was 35. I'm assuming it was a speed trap. We've all run across these things before where there's a multi-lane road but the speed limit drops by 30 or 40mph through a small town that's little more than a wide spot in the road.

Default Re: When the design of a road says the total opposite of the speed limit

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Driving through a small town the other day. 4 lanes with a 5th turn lane down the center of the road. There was way more road than there was traffic. The road was wide open and the design of the road said that it was there for you to go fast, however the speed limit was 35. I'm assuming it was a speed trap. We've all run across these things before where there's a multi-lane road but the speed limit drops by 30 or 40mph through a small town that's little more than a wide spot in the road.
    How else are they going to get the revenue to keep buying new cruisers?

Default Re: When the design of a road says the total opposite of the speed limit

Yes, and this is the problem with, for example, 23rd Street between Western and Broadway. The new speed limit of 25 is difficult because of the road configuration. Another biggie is Broadway, between 13th and where it curves out just south of 23rd. The limit there is 30.

23rd street around OKC University is ridiculous with that 30mph speed limit. That should be 35 or maybe even 40.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    23rd street around OKC University is ridiculous with that 30mph speed limit. That should be 35 or maybe even 40.
    The speed limit is fine. The design is bad.

Completely agree. Speed limits in okc are way too low. Even a lot of streets around Dallas are 50. I don't know what it is with speeding and Oklahoman's. Speed on most LA streets will flow at least 40-50 mph when there isn't heavy traffic and you hardly see traffic enforcement because they have bigger things to worry about.

Considering the red light running epidemic, I'd prefer a crack down on that rather than speeding.

Considering the red light running epidemic, I'd prefer a crack down on that rather than speeding.
    Again, I'd say that probably has to do with bad design more than anything. So many streets in the metro have traffic lights that are a couple of hundred yards apart. When you're sitting at a red light and then your light turns green at about the same time that the one just up ahead is turning red will cause many people to speed and run red lights. It happens a lot around the metro.

You would lose your muffler in one of the storm drain dips if it was that high.

Yes - there are far too many lights in OKC. I think on May there's one every 5 blocks or so from 10th to 63rd.

10th - 12th - 16th - 23rd - 27th - 30th - 36th - Lowes - i44 - 47th(?) - 50th - Target - 56th - 59th - 63rd

11. Default Re: When the design of a road says the total opposite of the speed limit

47th eastbound; Nimitz Blvd. to the west.

Target is technically 52nd.

Quote Originally Posted by NWOKCGuy View Post
    Yes - there are far too many lights in OKC. I think on May there's one every 5 blocks or so from 10th to 63rd.
    Interchange
    I-44

Section Line Intersections
    10th, 23rd, 36th, 50th, 63rd

High School (NW Classen)
    27th, 30th (also a 1/2 mile arterial)

Businesses
    38th (Lowe's, Baptist General Convention)
    52nd (Target, Dave and Busters, etc)
    57th (2 banks)
    59th (Home Depot, Best Buy, etc)

Not Sure
    12th, 16th

Really Makes No Sense
    47th - assume when Mayfair Village was busier?, school nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by NWOKCGuy View Post

10th - 12th - 16th - 23rd - 27th - 30th - 36th - Lowes - i44 - 47th(?) - 50th - Target - 56th - 59th - 63rd
    Here's a different take on it. Pedestrians do exist in this city and need safe places to cross dangerous streets. Without traffic signals, there's not a chance for them to cross without having to mix with traffic (that speeds as this thread has discussed). 15 places to cross in 4 miles is not much at all for a pedestrian; in fact, that's not enough.

Decades and decades of falling behind on infrastructure. And it's too late now to commit 23rd to being a 6 lane mega highway because 10 is spotty east of classen and 36th is spotty west of it. We need to go texas style and just build new towns that have some of those great big fly over double decker commuter roads with exits only once per mile for people traveling from Plano to Manfield...Maybe just a quick stop over in the colony some Nebraska furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    47th - assume when Mayfair Village was busier?, school nearby?
    Yes, on 48th, a block east of May. Elementary School.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Decades and decades of falling behind on infrastructure. And it's too late now to commit 23rd to being a 6 lane mega highway because 10 is spotty east of classen and 36th is spotty west of it. We need to go texas style and just build new towns that have some of those great big fly over double decker commuter roads with exits only once per mile for people traveling from Plano to Manfield...Maybe just a quick stop over in the colony some Nebraska furniture.
    No speed limits too, at least?

Go for broke, speed requirements.

Thread Information