Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: OKC Roads and Highways

1. Default Re: OKC Roads and Highways

I prefer to call it the Crossroads of America because it is the only point in the country where two cross-national freeways meet (besides MSP, which isn't the same since I-35 actually splits). I-40 (Cal to N Carolina) and I-35 (Texas to Minnesota; really Mexico to Canada) meet at this crossroads; along with spur I-235.

There's no other crossroads like this in the nation.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: OKC Roads and Highways

"Receiving commission approval was a contract for a more than $5 million project in downtown Oklahoma City with a statewide impact. This project will modify portions of the I-35/I-235/I-40 junction, commonly known as the Dallas Junction, to add an extra north and southbound I-35 lane between M.L. King Ave./Eastern Ave. and S.E. 15th St. Currently, all I-35 traffic must move into a single exit lane to navigate through the junction with I-40, causing considerable traffic safety and congestion issues. The project is expected to begin in spring 2018 and take about five months to complete."

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=38452

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I kind of figured that was the junction it had to be, but unless I totally missed it this project seems completely out of the blue. I've long been aware of the I-35/240 and I-235/44 and even I-35/44 projects, but this is the first I've heard of any planned changes to this one.
    Has been on the radar since they screwed the original rebuild in the late 70's. What moron thought that a major N-S Interstate highway could pass through a major interchange with only ONE LANE in each direction? By the 70's, they should have known better.

Since the cost is only $5 million, I'm assuming they are going to cram the additional lanes onto the existing Oklahoma River bridges with narrower than normal lanes. Once again we are settling for the cheap solution. Also, I haven't been able to figure out how they will handle 5 lanes down to 3 southbound before the SE15th exit. That's going to be a MAJOR cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Has been on the radar since they screwed the original rebuild in the late 70's. What moron thought that a major N-S Interstate highway could pass through a major interchange with only ONE LANE in each direction? By the 70's, they should have known better.

Since the cost is only $5 million, I'm assuming they are going to cram the additional lanes onto the existing Oklahoma River bridges with narrower than normal lanes. Once again we are settling for the cheap solution. Also, I haven't been able to figure out how they will handle 5 lanes down to 3 southbound before the SE15th exit. That's going to be a MAJOR cluster.
    I read exit lanes added only, north and southbound. I didn't see anything about new lanes on the bridge ? I think they might merge the exit lanes together before they hit the bridge southbound. The same could happen to the northbound exit also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I read exit lanes added only, north and southbound. I didn't see anything about new lanes on the bridge ? I think they might merge the exit lanes together before they hit the bridge southbound. The same could happen to the northbound exit also.
    Preliminary engineering drawings are linked below (warning, *giant* .pdf file). Sheet 1 shows the general edges of the project and sheets 40-44 give the new lane configurations.

On NB I-35, they're simply adding a second exit only lane to the right of the current exit only lane, meaning there will now be two exit only lanes NB I-35 to EB I-40. The new, right-most exit only lane will turn into an exit only for Eastern/MLK Ave. The new concrete will start just north of the Oklahoma River bridge and will continue all the way to the Eastern/MLK Ave. exit. NB I-35 will be painted for this additional exit only lane for starting 800 feet south of the north bank of the river, so I guess the bridge will have slightly narrower shoulders (you lose 6 feet on each side) than it currently does.

For SB I-35, a new left lane will be added (new concrete) starting just west of the ditch that crosses under Reno Ave. and I-35/I-40 just west of Bath Ave. This new left lane and the current left-most lane will act as two exit only lanes for SB I-35. These two lanes will continue to the north bank of the Oklahoma River. At that point the new concrete ends and there will be 5 lanes traversing the Oklahoma River southbound (currently there are four). That left-most lane will be asked to merge into the current left-most lane as the bridge is crossed, ending approximately 400 feet south of the south bank of the Oklahoma River.

http://www.odot.org/contracts/a2017/...ULL%20FILE.pdf

tl;dr New lanes to be painted both directions on the I-35 Oklahoma River bridge, resulting in slightly narrower shoulders than are currently present.

^^^^ Thanks ^^^^

Ditto, thanks a lot for finding that file and linking it for us.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Has been on the radar since they screwed the original rebuild in the late 70's. What moron thought that a major N-S Interstate highway could pass through a major interchange with only ONE LANE in each direction .
    The same one who only put one lane in each direction on I-44 at the Hefner Parkway. But I guess west bound I-44 has been somewhat improved in that area, although it can be harrowing at times merging with Parkway traffic and folks trying to exit 23rd St.

i wish they'd stripe the new lane so the left lane for I-35 S stays the exit only lane and the #2 lane can go south or stay on I-40 W. That would lower the number of lane changes needed.
    sorry for the crudity of this drawing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-40i-25.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	14313

I moved all the posts on the streetlight outages to its own thread:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43907

Southwest 119th at Western could use a bit of work. It is ROUGH right there at the crosswalk.

Quote Originally Posted by JMoses3318 View Post
    Southwest 119th at Western could use a bit of work. It is ROUGH right there at the crosswalk.
    The whole intersection needs to be rebuilt with double left turn lanes for Western s/b to 119th e/b.

Was happy to see the resurfacing of Classen from 12th to 16th street as that road was in pretty bad shape. However, the new road surface seems to be much higher than the old one leaving massive potholes where the utility lids are. I thought I busted a tire I just hit one so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Was happy to see the resurfacing of Classen from 12th to 16th street as that road was in pretty bad shape. However, the new road surface seems to be much higher than the old one leaving massive potholes where the utility lids are. I thought I busted a tire I just hit one so hard.
    Manhole covers will be reset flush with the pavement. It requires concrete work that has to be done when it is warmer outside.

Does anyone know what's going on with the installation of new signage and/or sensors of some kind along I35 from I40 down to Norman? They've been pouring concrete for the bases of the signs for the last several weeks and are now starting to put our safety barrels. Just wondering what this project is all about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Also drive that area frequently, probably some sloppy path work; however, did find this on the recent GO Bonds approved September, 2017:

Object ID: 218: https://data.okc.gov/portal/page/vie...ets&view=table
    Along N Classen Avenue from NW 13th Street to NW 48th Street; and the area bounded by and including N Blackwelder Avenue, N Shartel Avenue, NW 30th Street, and NW 25th Street

PROP 1 - Streets Sidewalks $1,490,000.00

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Also drive that area frequently, probably some sloppy path work; however, did find this on the recent GO Bonds approved September, 2017:

Object ID: 218: https://data.okc.gov/portal/page/vie...ets&view=table
    Along N Classen Avenue from NW 13th Street to NW 48th Street; and the area bounded by and including N Blackwelder Avenue, N Shartel Avenue, NW 30th Street, and NW 25th Street

PROP 1 - Streets Sidewalks $1,490,000.00
    Yes! I believe Zach Nash (PR for the city) cleared up that what I mentioned was being addressed. It does indeed appear to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer3791 View Post
    Does anyone know what's going on with the installation of new signage and/or sensors of some kind along I35 from I40 down to Norman? They've been pouring concrete for the bases of the signs for the last several weeks and are now starting to put our safety barrels. Just wondering what this project is all about.
    I was noticing this too. I wonder if it is part of the I-240/I-35 and I-235/I-35/I-40 interchange. Since the capacity of both of those are increasing, maybe they are adding additional signage to help get drivers into the proper lanes sooner.

19. Default Re: OKC Roads and Highways

message boards maybe?

Well, there are already message boards on I-35 so I doubt these are just for message boards. And the signs are on both NB and SB I35 all the way to Norman. I guess we'll find out soon what they're for!

HangryHippo Guest

I believe there was a new signage project being coordinated by ODOT, but I can't find the article. I'll post it if I can find it.

Looks like EB I-240 to SB I-35 construction is completely wrapped up

Saw a sign along WB/SB I-44 yesterday on my way home from work saying to that construction will start July 9th. I couldn't find any notices on the OkDOT website about what closures nor the duration of this project will be. As this is my main route home I was wondering if anybody could share more details about this project? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Saw a sign along WB/SB I-44 yesterday on my way home from work saying to that construction will start July 9th. I couldn't find any notices on the OkDOT website about what closures nor the duration of this project will be. As this is my main route home I was wondering if anybody could share more details about this project? Thanks in advance!
    http://okdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vi...3a62119e5eb7ed

Looks like it'll be on I-44 over Lake Hefner/SH-66. I'm guessing one lane closed?

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    http://okdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vi...3a62119e5eb7ed

Looks like it'll be on I-44 over Lake Hefner/SH-66. I'm guessing one lane closed?
    https://ok.gov/triton/modules/newsro...ticle_id=43567

Thread Information