Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Innovation Link

Default Re: Innovation Link

Light rail was and is a potential new corridor to the Nw and to the airport. Neither of those has been selected or studied and neither are moving forward at all at this time. Commuter rail to the airport would likey be the better choice.

The light rail being referenced in this discussion is the extension of the streetcar up Classen and down to Capitol Hill. Whether or not that should be categorized as light rail or streetcar is another argument entirely (and one that couldn't be solved until it was actually up and running anyway). That was the recommendation in ACOG's OK!Go study. Whether or not that's what we end up with depends on way too many factors. (I am of the opinion that it absolutely should happen, or we've wasted money on the streetcar system downtown.)

http://www.acogok.org/wp-content/upl...-for-PRINT.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    I don't know that removing I-235 will ever happen. I don't even know what hoops they'd have to jump through to remove an interstate, if they'd have to have federal approval or not. And I'm not going to pretend that the state of Oklahoma is suddenly going to become super-progressive when it comes to favoring urban lifestyles over suburban and rural ones.

From the perspective of Oklahoma City itself, for the city, removing 235 would be a no-brainer. You don't want to make it easy for people to move out to Edmond and build their expensive homes in another municipality. In that sense Edmond is your competition, not your friend. The city should worry about the needs of its own citizens, and not bend over backwards for the desires of those who live in its suburbs. But it wouldn't be politically viable to say that out loud, and I don't think you could get the state legislature to be on board with removing it for just that reason. You'd have to have ODOT on board, and I don't think they'd sign on for something that was clearly seen as an attack on Edmond.

I just bought a house in OKC, and while I liked the idea of going in the Mesta Park area, when I looked at size and cost and the school district, I ended up buying elsewhere. I'm not going to criticize people for buying in the 'burbs, because while I'm within the city limits, it's definitely a suburban neighborhood. But if the economics of the situation were different, I'd have probably picked a different house.

My vision for OKC in like 2045 or so would include a significantly denser core. We'd have a mass transit system connecting Norman to Edmond, and probably Yukon to MWC. Most areas inside the inner loop would be serviced by either a streetcar or by a dependable (and frequent) bus system. And at every stop on our metro-area rail system, you'd have a dense little TOD neighborhood extending two or three blocks from the rail station. Imagine if there were 25 different mini-Bricktowns scattered throughout the city, all connected by a rail line. You could get a brownstone in one of these places for cheaper than you could downtown, and you'd get a pseudo-downtown experience, while still being a decent distance from work. I think that would appeal to a lot of people. You could also buy a traditional suburban home a few blocks away, and now you're in walking distance to an urban-ish area, while still being able to have your white picket fence and a big dog.

A convenient and useful mass transit system makes these sorts of development possible. And when that possibility exists, I think a lot of people will choose it over a home in a suburb that doesn't have those same amenities. It's all about providing options for your residents. And people will generally desire the places that give them the most options. Now I don't have to take the freeway if I don't want to. I think we can build this type of city a lot cheaper than we can the city that has a 12 lane I-35 running all the way from Norman to Edmond. Once we've got a city with those options, eliminating I-235 starts making a lot more sense.
    I'm really digging this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I am very happy to report to you, that are you mistaken. Not trying to be snarky, this is a good thing. It does appear, that light-rail is under consideration for OKC.

This is from Hutch's post
    You're right, I had completely missed that information. It will be interesting to see if it actually happens - I think LRT will be a hard sell to OKC because of the higher infrastructure costs - but some method of transit up the NW Expressway corridor and out towards the Airport will be sorely needed. Sorry for the argument!

But additionally, sorry for derailing (Ha!) the conversation; let's get back to talking about the Innovation Link proper. I think it's a pretty darn cool idea and I hope it happens!

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    You're right, I had completely missed that information. It will be interesting to see if it actually happens - I think LRT will be a hard sell to OKC because of the higher infrastructure costs - but some method of transit up the NW Expressway corridor and out towards the Airport will be sorely needed. Sorry for the argument!

But additionally, sorry for derailing (Ha!) the conversation; let's get back to talking about the Innovation Link proper. I think it's a pretty darn cool idea and I hope it happens!
    I agree and I'm really excited about this. One option they could do is create a BRT line for now and upgrade it to rail later. Some BRT lines have the advantage of being able to run 24/7 like what Metro in la Is planning for the Orange Line in the Valley. They can't do that for the subways because they aren't quadruple tracked like NYC, only double tracked. So now way to run it 24 hours due to maintenance. But these plans have me very excited! I'd just like to see a loop included on the south side in 44/40/240/35 and maybe a line down MLK Boulevard and through 23rd St.. this is really exciting stuff.

Chicago-based Perkins+Will to plan Innovation District

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record March 29, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – Roy Williams reminded city business leaders and civically engaged residents that there’s a 10-year road map to create the Innovation District.

The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber president and CEO gave an update about the district during Wednesday’s Mayor’s Development Roundtable. The district stretches north and south from NW 13 Street to Fourth Street, southeast to the railroad tracks, east to Lottie Avenue, and west to Robinson Avenue.

The Brookings Institution and the Project for Public Spaces started studying the area in October 2015. Their findings showed the district had potential to be a hub for new ideas and getting them to market. Now, the entities involved in the district are negotiating a contract with the Perkins+Will architecture firm, which will create a master plan for the area. The firm’s closest office is in Austin, Texas.

The Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City is finalizing the contract with the firm, which should be completed in a couple of weeks. President and CEO Cathy O’Connor said the master plan should take about a year. The final results should give direction on where more retail, office space, and housing can be added.

The Brookings Institution found that there’s potential for the district to bring innovative energy or medical-related products to market. The master plan should help find what’s the best place for those types of facilities.

“(The plan will find) what’s needed to support the innovation economy that we’re trying to put more effort into,” O’Connor said.

Perkins+Will’s work will be paid for by the alliance, the state Office of Management and Enterprise Services, the Oklahoma Health Center Foundation, the Presbyterian Health Foundation, and the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.

The alliance, OUHSC, the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, the health center foundation and PHF are helping to find an executive director for the district.

The health center foundation is reinventing itself to take on overseeing the Innovation District.

Foundation President Terry Taylor said there is a nationwide search to find the next director. The foundation is working with a national search firm to find the right person. He said there have been a few interviews with potential directors. He said he thinks someone should be hired in the next six months.

During his presentation, Williams showed images of Innovation Link, a land-cover bridge that was proposed by Miles & Associates architects. The $200 million OKC Innovation Link would span from NE 13th Street to NE Eighth Street, over Interstate 235. It would go only as far east as Oklahoma Avenue and west to Walnut Avenue.

Williams didn’t say if money had been found to pay for the project. The bridge plan was shown to several people, including civic leaders who could have included it in the latest bond projects’ list. But it was not funded.

7. Default Re: Innovation Link

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Chicago-based Perkins+Will to plan Innovation District

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record March 29, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – Roy Williams reminded city business leaders and civically engaged residents that there’s a 10-year road map to create the Innovation District.

The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber president and CEO gave an update about the district during Wednesday’s Mayor’s Development Roundtable. The district stretches north and south from NW 13 Street to Fourth Street, southeast to the railroad tracks, east to Lottie Avenue, and west to Robinson Avenue.

The Brookings Institution and the Project for Public Spaces started studying the area in October 2015. Their findings showed the district had potential to be a hub for new ideas and getting them to market. Now, the entities involved in the district are negotiating a contract with the Perkins+Will architecture firm, which will create a master plan for the area. The firm’s closest office is in Austin, Texas.

The Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City is finalizing the contract with the firm, which should be completed in a couple of weeks. President and CEO Cathy O’Connor said the master plan should take about a year. The final results should give direction on where more retail, office space, and housing can be added.

The Brookings Institution found that there’s potential for the district to bring innovative energy or medical-related products to market. The master plan should help find what’s the best place for those types of facilities.

“(The plan will find) what’s needed to support the innovation economy that we’re trying to put more effort into,” O’Connor said.

Perkins+Will’s work will be paid for by the alliance, the state Office of Management and Enterprise Services, the Oklahoma Health Center Foundation, the Presbyterian Health Foundation, and the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.

The alliance, OUHSC, the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, the health center foundation and PHF are helping to find an executive director for the district.

The health center foundation is reinventing itself to take on overseeing the Innovation District.

Foundation President Terry Taylor said there is a nationwide search to find the next director. The foundation is working with a national search firm to find the right person. He said there have been a few interviews with potential directors. He said he thinks someone should be hired in the next six months.

During his presentation, Williams showed images of Innovation Link, a land-cover bridge that was proposed by Miles & Associates architects. The $200 million OKC Innovation Link would span from NE 13th Street to NE Eighth Street, over Interstate 235. It would go only as far east as Oklahoma Avenue and west to Walnut Avenue.

Williams didn’t say if money had been found to pay for the project. The bridge plan was shown to several people, including civic leaders who could have included it in the latest bond projects’ list. But it was not funded.
    so? no more Automobile Alley?

I personally think OKC is getting ridiculous with these "districts". Why not just have the Oklahoma Health Center stand on it's own merit and just create the lid over I-235 without taking away an already uber successful, historic district to try to make the 'innovation' connection. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I may be speaking with not enough knowledge, but I believe the reason is so that all the components of an "Innovation District" are covered. Research, Medical, Bio, GE, etc. that are connected to a work/live/play area with plentiful housing within walking distance, and of course all of the breweries, bars, restaurants, and shops that Auto Alley has and will continue to develop moving East and West off of Broadway.

It seems like if we can achieve a true Innovation District, the chances of landing many more companies go up based on the designation on a national or worldwide level.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's backwards and should be as far east as Walnut and as far west as Oklahoma Avenue, considering Oklahoma is the west side of the highway and Walnut is on east side.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    so? no more Automobile Alley?

I personally think OKC is getting ridiculous with these "districts". Why not just have the Oklahoma Health Center stand on it's own merit and just create the lid over I-235 without taking away an already uber successful, historic district to try to make the 'innovation' connection. ....
    I agree.

Blog Entries

Isn’t innovation district more a description than a “brand”? “Innovation district” is a concept being pushed in other cities as well.

12. Default Re: Innovation Link

I think what is throwing everyone off is the use of the word "district" (which I know is most common for these types of areas). If it had a non "district" name (such as the Research Triangle in North Carolina) it wouldn't seem odd for it to overlap with multiple other districts. The reason Automobile Alley was included was because qualifying for some of the assistance they've sought has required checking a number of things off of the list that simply don't occur currently on the east side of 235, such as coffee shops, retail, etc. AA was lumped in and counted toward existing amenities.

It is something that was immediately concerning because Automobile Alley is of course a venerable, standalone district with its own identity (and in fact its own existing management and funding through the BID), and the district's stakeholders have no intention of ceding their autonomy. At the same time I don't think doing so is a part of the plan for the Innovation District. So I think it just requires continued communication and cooperation between all parties (this has been and is being done). But I also think perhaps branding away from "district" in the future might be helpful and clarifying.

13. Default Re: Innovation Link

Great points Urbanized.

If they want to create an Innovation District that LINKS Automobile Alley and the Oklahoma Health Center; then I think that is appropriate message rather than their wanting to call AA + OHC the "Innovation District". This is the same way as we call our Historic, Entertainment District known as Bricktown - rather than calling the area Entertainment District.

I chime in on this because OKC has been district happy lately, coming up with a 'district' name for every new development. And it appeared as if many were wanting to jump on the Innovation bandwagon to rebrand OHC as the Innovation District (which would require adding in AA to fit the definition).

I hope the Oklahoma Health Center can be an Innovation District in it's own right; why not develop it's own walkable, retail area within its own boundary and let Automobile Alley continue to mature and grow as it is. This is what we should do as a city rather than jumping on every single buzz word that some city we want to be more like is doing or has its areas defined (see 'Arts District') when we really have no basis for it. ...

Blog Entries

I think the emphasis is on the R&D being done in the area. Whereas this board focuses on the physical landscape, the planners of the innovation areas start with seeing what organizations, technologies and industries exist and are synergistic. They then want to use the neighborhood to be a magnet for the area as a place where community, interaction, etc. bind the players together and act to recruit other players. We want buildings, they want industries. Urbanism is just their way of creating the environment for them to exist. In the end, they both need each other, but it doesn't start out as real estate plays.

15. Default Re: Innovation Link

great points Rover.

I really don't see this taking off until Automobile Alley, Deep Deuce, and Midtown are fully developed. We're going to hit a point (probably in the next 10 years) where there's no more room for the 8-10 story limited service hotels, or the 4-5 story wood frame apartment buildings. Not that there won't be a market for them, there just won't be room for them. Not in the aforementioned areas. Eventually somebody's going to take a chance and build one on the other side of 235. Or they will as long as the city and state are willing to play ball (the Oklahoma School of Science and Math has some massive green space that it doesn't look like they're using).

My guess is that here in the next decade or so we'll start seeing these sorts of developments at 10th street and 4th street just on the other side of the interstate. In a way it'll be like starting Deep Deuce from scratch, except not quite as bad because stuff will be within a short walk. And it'll be easier if the streetcar expands that direction. Once they've got a foothold, then you'd see pretty steady growth. You need a local population to support things like coffee shops and restaurants. But once that starts to grow, they can quit pretending that Automobile Alley is part of this area. It's going to require cooperation from the city, the state, and OU to lay the proper foundation for this area. If everybody tries to do their own thing, it'll never work.

Regardless, I think we're a bit premature here. Our existing downtown districts are still filling out. We've got Core 2 Shore, the Cotton Mill area, the Wheeler District, and Strawberry Fields that are also in line. The Innovation District has the benefit that it's between two decently developed places in downtown and OU Medical, and it is close to some of our more mature districts. But I don't think there's any economic incentive to make that jump until the existing neighborhoods are complete.

Blog Entries

I believe OU Med Center and OU employ almost 10,000. Factor in the visitors to the various clinics, etc. Then add in the students. All in all, that area is a great economic area and could easily support coffee shops, restaurants, housing, etc. OU has a MBA program on that side of 235 as well. Lots and lots of potential to infill the area. But it needs planned.

BTW, the new Embassy Suites over there is pretty big and seems to be plenty busy already.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I believe OU Med Center and OU employ almost 10,000. Factor in the visitors to the various clinics, etc. Then add in the students. All in all, that area is a great economic area and could easily support coffee shops, restaurants, housing, etc. OU has a MBA program on that side of 235 as well. Lots and lots of potential to infill the area. But it needs planned.

BTW, the new Embassy Suites over there is pretty big and seems to be plenty busy already.
    It was planned... planned to make that kind of activity difficult. (I.e. around efficiently driving from your home to a parking garage without having to walk anywhere.)

19. Default Re: Innovation Link

I've stayed at that Embassy twice on visits to the city and it was great. But we still had to hop in the car.

I do agree that with great urban planning the city could very well create an Innovation District within the confines of the Oklahoma Health Center; adding in streetfronts/sidewalks/local transit without leeching on established mature districts like DD, BT, and AA. Hopefully the players will adopt the true meaning of Innovation district instead of what I fear will be a redistricting campaign to hype up our medical research area.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    It was planned... planned to make that kind of activity difficult. (I.e. around efficiently driving from your home to a parking garage without having to walk anywhere.)
    I do think the hospitals in the area probably do try to make it convenient for their patients and families and have been less concerned about new urbanism. Patient care is and should be their first priority.

That said, they have started the process to convert it to a more well rounded and appealing urban area with a diversity of innovative industries present. A conversion will take time, money and some strong visionaries.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Patient care is and should be their first priority.
    Unfortunately, this is not the case far too often or there would be a lot more changes. But then the Trust wouldn't be able to pad their pockets as much, so...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Unfortunately, this is not the case far too often or there would be a lot more changes. But then the Trust wouldn't be able to pad their pockets as much, so...
    Who is this that is padding their pockets? They are anti urban because they have been paid off or are profiting by there being poor walkability and no coffee shops? What a conspiracy of corruption! This is quite an accusation to throw out there. Facts or opinion?

In Steve's chat the bossman at Chamber OKC said this development is being actively considered which is good to hear. I initially thought it was just an idea drawn up by OU students to see if it would gain any serious traction but it appears this could really happen. I hope they consider a full cap over a partial one, but anything will help! Even if they just widen the bridges to allow for buildings to be built on each side.

There is not so much a MAPS focus as there is a discussion of significant issues the city is facing, such as criminal justice facilities we may need, more transportation infrastructure like regional transit, expansion potential of some of the MAPS 3 projects like the streetcar, discussion about the innovation district including a potential capping of I-235, potential expansion of the Bricktown Canal and more dams along the Oklahoma River. But they are not so much in the context of MAPS 4.
    - http://newsok.com/okc-central-chat-t...rticle/5589859

24. Default Re: Innovation Link

Again, I think a complete capping is such an extreme and expensive measure. You could achieve great walkability simply by lining a bridge with buildings, a la Pulteney Bridge (Bath, England), or even the park-like walled treatment given to the Long Street Bridge in Columbus, OH.

Personally I’d rather see a less expensive but equally effective approach considered, with the funds that might have been used for a full cap used instead for streetcar expansion to the health center or elsewhere. Much more effective and impactful use of money, IMO.

Yeah I also think if they're going to spend this much money might as well just do a longer stretch from north of I-40 and south of 50th st. and do a cut and cover tunnel and place an urban BLVD. at top down the line, that is, when we start to run out of space to develop in the core which isn't anytime soon. In the mean time, I think place buildings on each side of the bridges would work well and I think removing the ramps to I-235 in Deep Deuce and turning that area into a park with a new bridge going over I-235 for the streetcar and peds only would be cool.

Thread Information