Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Travelodge

Default Re: Travelodge

Yes, there is a light at Blackwelder and it's not a super long trip either.

All OnCue's seem to be jammed so they clearly have a good forumla for picking locations. Or perhaps more importantly, have created a place that people will seek out.

Just last weekend I stopped in the Wilshire and NW Expressway location and it was crazy busy. Driving not even a half mile southeast, the biggest 7/11 at NW Ex & MacArthur -- a better location -- was not nearly as busy. A bit further down, the next OnCue at 63rd & NW Ex was also packed.

Default Re: Travelodge

To be sure, if someone is going to do it well, I think OnCue could.

I live off 46th and Classen and have probably driven past the site over 2,000 times -- For me it's the proximity and how it sits kind of like it's in the armpit of that off-ramp of I-44 that makes me think its visibility will not quite be there. That off-ramp is also disorienting for anybody who isn't familiar with it - but not quite as disorienting as whatever the heck NW/Expressway and Classen area is supposed to be. Short of one of a 6-8 story sign, the station will be entirely invisible to people at Penn Square and at that Wal-Mart so I really don't think there will be much casual overflow from those two places. It's just a bizarre traffic area in general because of what I-44 does in the area.

That being said, there are definitely positive factors to this location: Tallest office tower in the metro outside of downtown OKC, 2 hotels (though they can't get to this On Cue legally without making a maddening detour because there are Do Not Enter signs on the outlet to the intersection - though I never pay any attention to that), a population that doesn't mind walking in a non-urban environment to get somewhere (plenty of people cross Classen to get to the 7-11 on 46th/Western on a daily basis.

I'll be interested to see what it does. I'd love to see them absolutely crush it here as I think it would help lend some credence to my idea that the NW corner of NW Expressway and Classen would be an incredible place for a Mixed-Use transit station with a street car stop and BRT up and down NWEX.

Thread Information