Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilshire Point

Northwest OKC Wilshire Point

A local development group has submitted plans to turn 26 acres near Wilshire and Classen into an elaborate mixed-use project.

Wilshire Point would feature 150 apartments, as well as office space, single family homes, townhouses and self storage.

The property was purchased from Chesapeake Energy for $2.2 million last year. Chesapeake had paid over $4 million in 2006.

The project also shows a small pond and extensive landscaping and will be reviewed for approval by the Planning Commission at their July 14th meeting.

Default Re: Wilshire Point

Wow. Very cool

Good to see CHK releasing some of the bizarre property purchases it used to make. Was always surprised there wasn't anything developed here.

CHK held it for almost 10 years then took half what they paid for it.

Of course, that's to be expected as they paid way, way over market value for almost everything they bought.

Who is the developer?

That's a whole lot of water for such a small parcel of land.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    That's a whole lot of water for such a small parcel of land.
    It probably has pretty serious drainage issues, which is likely why it has yet to be developed.

Seems cool at first until you realize they're wanting to build residential here. Who is going to want to live right next to the railroad tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    Seems cool at first until you realize they're wanting to build residential here. Who is going to want to live right next to the railroad tracks?
    I would - train horn is done at Wilshire... If they build the commuter rail, it might be a good spot for an extra station.

That said, it's an interesting mix of uses, I just wish it was a Mixed Use district.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I would - train horn is done at Wilshire... If they build the commuter rail, it might be a good spot for an extra station.

That said, it's an interesting mix of uses, I just wish it was a Mixed Use district.
    Forward thinking there, if commuter rail does end up going through there, that's a big draw.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Forward thinking there, if commuter rail does end up going through there, that's a big draw.
    ACOG's study identified stops at Britton & at 63rd, so a stop at Wilshire might not happen, because you don't really like to have too many stops on a Commuter Rail train. If it was built as Light Rail, 1 mile in between stops wouldn't be horrible. BUT, there is a ton of open land at Wilshire and that area easily could build up in density and be a prime spot...

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post

I'd be willing to be you're in the minority with wanting to live there. There's a reason the nice parts of town don't have a train running right next to it.

I'd be willing to be you're in the minority with wanting to live there. There's a reason the nice parts of town don't have a train running right next to it.
    Downtown / Deep Deuce / Midtown / Heritage Hills / Crown Heights all have the same train run past it. It isn't ideal, but once the quiet zone goes into place you won't notice that it is there... and even without the quiet zone it quickly becomes background noise.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Downtown / Deep Deuce / Midtown / Heritage Hills / Crown Heights all have the same train run past it. It isn't ideal, but once the quiet zone goes into place you won't notice that it is there... and even without the quiet zone it quickly becomes background noise.
    Those places have a train run close to it, not right next it. Go look at the google maps screenshot Pete posted above with the area outlined. The eastern edge is a railroad track. The train will literally be 5 feet from the people on the east side of the development.

I live in an apartment complex about a mile to mile and a half south of the airport off Meridian. When I was looking at living here, I thought the plains flying over would be very annoying and loud as we're so close to the airport. The only time I really hear a plane fly over is when I'm outside. Even then it's not bad. Trains might be closer, but I still think unless they're laying on the horn a lot, it won't be noticed that much.

And if you look at the renderings, you will see that the residential does not back up to the railroad tracks. There is parking and the self- storage creating a buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    And if you look at the renderings, you will see that the residential does not back up to the railroad tracks. There is parking and the self- storage creating a buffer.
    Ok so instead of five feet it's 50 feet. Point still remains.

Ok so instead of five feet it's 50 feet. Point still remains.
    You're gonna get that kind of thing living in a city.

Great Happy Gilmore reference, by the way.

Not sure why developers keep thinking there is a demand for apartments/town homes around NH?
    John Marshall square is what? probably 5% full.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Not sure why developers keep thinking there is a demand for apartments/town homes around NH?
    John Marshall square is what? probably 5% full.
    Construction still isn't completed on Marshall Square and isn't expected to be until YE.

If I had the choice between the two, I think I'd prefer to live at Wilshire Point. I always thought that they'd have trouble leasing for Marshall Square. It may be close to NH, but it is also surrounded by a less than desirable neighborhood.

I heard a very different story about John Marshal Square that it is doing great. Not 100% leased, but not anywhere near what someone above said.

After we moved to Deep Deuce (I live about 150 ft from the rail line), I think I heard the train the first night. Now I never hear it, which is kind of sad since I actually like the sound.

23. Default Re: Wilshire Point

Any word on developer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Any word on developer yet?
    Blackstone Commercial Property

https://www.commercialsearch.com/lis...GK8C1RC8T3GCK5

Is anyone else concerned about crime spilling in from the infamous North Highland Park neighborhood directly northeast of it? The location seems pretty iffy to me. Burglar bars and boarded up windows on many of the houses doesn't look promising, and that neighborhood is aufully close.

Thread Information