Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bradford House

Default Re: Bradford House

They're painting the entire place a cream shade. You can see the original brick color on the chimneys.

Welp. This place just lost all the goodwill I had towards it. Painting over historic brick is a historical preservation no no. It was a miracle those bricks made it to 2019 never having been painted and now this travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Welp. This place just lost all the goodwill I had towards it. Painting over historic brick is a historical preservation no no. It was a miracle those bricks made it to 2019 never having been painted and now this travesty.
    Did this building not go through some sort of design review?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Did this building not go through some sort of design review?
    No, it's outside any design review district.

They did have to get rezoning.

I guess I knew that, but it's so disappointing when these things happen. I would honestly be in favor of having some sort of review for everything inside the 44 loop.

I'll choose to be happy that they didn't tear the building down and instead decided to re-imagine it in such a cool way.

ah yes sara kate strikes again

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    I'll choose to be happy that they didn't tear the building down and instead decided to re-imagine it in such a cool way.
    Fair. It just feels like a fumble at the opponent's 3 yard line

Blog Entries

Fair. It just feels like a fumble at the opponent's 3 yard line
    So, they took a dilapidated old building on an important street and re-purposed it, spending lots and lots of money to make it viable again..... and we moan and gripe over the paint. This was an old building restoration, not a historical restoration. They've invested millions and are bringing new life to an area that needs it. I applaud their investment.

If I had put that much money into something I would want the brick to survive, not hasten its destruction through an utterly avoidable folly.

The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation expressly do not recommend the painting of historically unpainted brick. Historically unpainted brick was not coated because the materials had sufficient strength without paint and had decorative applications. Because of the damaging effects of water saturation and freeze-thaw cycles, painting historically unpainted brick can eventually destroy the brick. Additionally it requires long-term maintenance, a huge expense best avoided.
    Source: https://architecturaltrust.org/prese...istoric-brick/

I’m just curious as to why they went to all the trouble and expense of salvaging the original brick to rebuild the lower portion of the patio. Seems like a lot of time and work to just paint over it.

Blog Entries

if I were guessing maybe they had trouble color-matching with with the new structures?

^That would make sense. Or it just didn't look fresh and good enough. If you are spending this much money on a project, at the end of the day you want it to look great. Especially for this industry, you want to project an image of everything being nice and tidy. Looking back at the images on post #42, it looks like there were several sections of mismatched brick.

Why not use siding or covering in strategic fashion though, rather than painting over brick.

Painted just never looks the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Why not use siding or covering in strategic fashion though, rather than painting over brick.

Painted just never looks the part.
    This.

Blog Entries

I kind of hope that paint is a primer because it's a bit of a terrible color

Blog Entries

Let's paint this brick on the main building because it doesn't all quite match, but then let's make the brick for our other building a completely different style/color.

I bet the brick on the new building gets painted to match.... Why not let them finish before you pass judgement on an unfinished product?

This site keeps people informed abut a project. Someone complains about a project. Someone complains about the complainer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XKHXXp3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	15773  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 50th@West View Post
    I bet the brick on the new building gets painted to match.... Why not let them finish before you pass judgement on an unfinished product?
    It might, but it looks like brick you wouldn't paint, e.g. more expensive brick. If you knew you were going to paint it, seems like you'd buy the cheapest possible brick?

This site keeps people informed abut a project. Someone complains about a project. Someone complains about the complainer.
    I would like to offer a complaint to the meme-using critique of the complainer's complaint: I don't know where this meme is from and so I feel personally attacked. /sarcasm

I agree that's it's helpful to get in-progress updates on projects even if the full picture isn't 100% clear yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 50th@West View Post
    To be sure, a general judgment is worthy to be levied against the project for painting any brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    To be sure, a general judgment is worthy to be levied against the project for painting any brick.
    Wow that seems to be painting with a broad-bush

Thread Information