Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barrios

Default Re: Barrios

I've been told this place is comparable to 1492, price and foodwise. Anybody confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I've been told this place is comparable to 1492, price and foodwise. Anybody confirm?
    I would take at the menu for yourself. Price point may be similar, but I think that's where the comparison stops. Barrios is hands down better in my opinion.... but I've always thought 1492 was subpar.

http://www.barriosmexicanokc.com/

The struggle is real in terms of service staff in OKC. However, I find Barrios to be one of the consumate "new" okc experiences. The mango guac is incredible, and the house chips are the best I've had. They do tend to crawl in a hole (not communicate) in long wait situations but not the first place I have seen do this. Sitting by the outside fire with a drink and some chips/salsa with one of their blankets is a very cool social experience. Honestly I don't think the prices are bad at all...

Barrios is better than 1492. Prices are the same, but Barrios is more of a bold and vibrant flavor theme; 1492 is more subdued, etc. I have only been to Barrios once, but its hard to get it back into my schedule. My fiancée doesn't like Mexican that much, so its not a place we would go together. If I could leave the office right at 5pm (which is rare), I'd try to hurry down there and sit in the bar. But, last time I went, the bar was full at 5:30 p.m. for happy hour on a Thursday night.

We went last night to Barrios, and were able to get a reservation a couple hours before. For 8:00 on a Wednesday the place was completely full. It looked like they had made a few changes since the last time I was there, the couches in the middle of the restaurant were replaced with large chairs. We had sat at the booths a few months ago and while comfortable they were too low and made eating a little awkward.

I had the beef fajitas again, and they are by far my favorite in OKC... they remind me a lot of a few places in Houston, which is a big compliment. The queso fundido and mango-guac were also excellent. Also, they have a habanero salsa they'll bring you if you ask... my favorite of the three!

Blog Entries

And conversely, I tried to walk in at 7pm on a Wednesday last night and there was an hour plus wait. Oops. Shame on me for thinking I could do that...

Glad to hear they are doing so well.

And yes, those sofa things were a bit awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    And conversely, I tried to walk in at 7pm on a Wednesday last night and there was an hour plus wait. Oops. Shame on me for thinking I could do that...
    I made my reservation on Opentable at 6:45 or so and they had openings for 2 every 15 minutes starting at 7:00. Worth checking that out.

Blog Entries

I will for next time (huge fan of open table), but when I was standing there at 7 (maybe a little after) she said the next opening was an hour out...

Somehow after making an opentable reservation 48 hrs in advance, having someone from barrios leave me a message to call back to confirm reservation, and me returning their call the day of, to again confirm reservation; they still managed to lose my reservation when I arrived 10 mins early for our 7 oclock. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blog Entries

The whole calling to confirm a reservation is annoying to me. I didn't accidentally create the reservation in the app. I get why they sometimes need to, but wish there was a way they could ping back via the app instead of calling.

The whole calling to confirm a reservation is annoying to me. I didn't accidentally create the reservation in the app. I get why they sometimes need to, but wish there was a way they could ping back via the app instead of calling.
    My vet confirms via text and it's super easy; "respond with Y to confirm"

I don't expect it would be in case a reservation was created accidentally. I think its meant more for situations when a reservation is made, but plans change and the reservation is never cancelled. Or perhaps you have people who make multiple reservations "just in case," but never bother to cancel the extras. Things like that.

Blog Entries

I would be cool with text as well. My dentist (Gentle Dentle) attempts to do that, but it apparently doesn't work as I always reply with Y and they still call me. When I gripe they say "oh our system must be broken" except it's ALWAYS broken.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I don't expect it would be in case a reservation was created accidentally. I think its meant more for situations when a reservation is made, but plans change and the reservation is never cancelled. Or perhaps you have people who make multiple reservations "just in case," but never bother to cancel the extras. Things like that.
    I get it. OpenTable won't actually let you create multiple reservations for the same exact time. Though you could stagger some times. I know not everybody does, but I def go back and cancel reservations I don't intend to fulfill within the app.

I managed to stop by there for lunch today. Chips are some of the best I've had (probably best in OK), and the mago guac was good too. I thought this place was a bit cheaper than 1492, and the portions were less. However, that's not a bad thing.

I prefer the atmosphere of Barrios compared to 1492 as well.

I was finally able to get into Barrios on Friday night after making reservations. The food, drinks, and service were all excellent. We sat outside on the patio and it was very nice. They have a lot of outdoor heaters, so no matter the temperature, you will be comfortable. I recommend the avocado margarita. We will be back!

I went Saturday.

This is one of the nicer patios in OKC (minus skyline). It is very enclosed which blocks the wind. They have plenty of heaters when it is a bit chilly too.

19. Default Re: Barrios

Finally got to eat here. Very good food and excellent service.

I wish they had a few more lager style beers on tap but I can live with the selection.

I recommend the lamb barbacoa tacos, mexican street corn and victory nachos to start!

20. Default Re: Barrios

From last night’s ULI Oklahoma Impact Awards: https://twitter.com/ulioklahoma/stat...32811980435456

Midtown Re: Barrios

Directly west of Barrios on the northwest corner of Hudson and 9th.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5221.JPG 
Views:	375 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	14681
    Last edited by ditm4567; 06-08-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Typo

Does anyone know who did the shade structures at Barrios?

Has their food improved? Checking in. I haven't visited since the summer of 2017. I've traveled both coasts of Mexico and have dined in multiple "gourmet" Mexican establishments. Barrios is at best inconsistent. At worst, the food is simply not good. Great ambiance (outside), but inconsistent and poor execution. Too bad, because the concept was good and we still need elevated Mexican cuisine in this city. Maybe Frida will deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Has their food improved? Checking in. I haven't visited since the summer of 2017. I've traveled both coasts of Mexico and have dined in multiple "gourmet" Mexican establishments. Barrios is at best inconsistent. At worst, the food is simply not good. Great ambiance (outside), but inconsistent and poor execution. Too bad, because the concept was good and we still need elevated Mexican cuisine in this city. Maybe Frida will deliver.
    Honestly, in my opinion the very best thing on their menu is the chips, guacamole and salsa. I often go there just for that setup, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    1. Barrios is very good.

2. Frida is not going to be a Mexican restaurant

Thread Information