Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OSU hires SFA's Underwood as coach

Default Re: OSU hires SFA's Underwood as coach

Fantastic absolutely fantastic.

Interesting. Hopefully that win ratio will transition over to our conference!

I'm really pumped about this hire. Can't wait for next season and hopefully to be a basketball school again.

5. Default Re: OSU hires SFA's Underwood as coach

Well definitely a better hire than the other name I had been hearing thrown around.

Big XII schools picking up Dixon, at TCU, and Underwood definitely doesn't detract from the caliber of coaches in the Big XII.

Looks like a solid hire for OSU. However, he will be gone as soon as the K-State job opens, and that may be soon.

Why wouldn't the same thing be said for Lon Kruger???????

8. Default Re: OSU hires SFA's Underwood as coach

Not going to say it couldn't happen but I don't see Kruger going back to K-State. I think this will be Kruger's last coaching gig but I do agree Weber's days are numbered.... I predicted the day he was hired that he would run that program in the ground just like he did after he took over Illinois from Bill Self.

Well, to be frank, the OSU job has a lot more prestige than KSU and I'm not sure I see someone jumping ship, even for their alma mater, if they are winning there.

10. Default Re: OSU hires SFA's Underwood as coach

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Well, to be frank, the OSU job has a lot more prestige than KSU and I'm not sure I see someone jumping ship, even for their alma mater, if they are winning there.
    Yeah... I never saw Roy Williams leaving KU for UNC, especially after he said he never would..... But it happened.

And as long as we are being frank....OSU's not exactly the glamour job it once was either.

Underwood's a good hire but Holder better be aware that KSU will be calling his name when Weber is gone and Weber will be the next coach to exit the Big XII..... I'm pretty confident in that prediction.

Ha, you just compared UNC to KSU???? Ok, bud.

12. Default Re: OSU hires SFA's Underwood as coach

Ha, you just compared UNC to KSU???? Ok, bud.
    Yes... The scale was larger but the comparison was appropriate..... He left a Blue Blood school where he was winning and would have eventually had a court/building/something named after him and went to his alma mater.

It happens.... You cam make condescending comments all day but it doesn't change the point I made.

So when is Billy comin' to OSU?

14. Default Re: OSU hires SFA's Underwood as coach

So when is Billy comin' to OSU?
    Can't counter my point so you resort to silly questions.....

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Yeah... I never saw Roy Williams leaving KU for UNC, especially after he said he never would..... But it happened.

And as long as we are being frank....OSU's not exactly the glamour job it once was either.

Underwood's a good hire but Holder better be aware that KSU will be calling his name when Weber is gone and Weber will be the next coach to exit the Big XII..... I'm pretty confident in that prediction.
    Very skeptical on that happening. KSU will always be the little 1/2 step brother of KU in basketball. The difference between those two programs is even greater than it is between OU and OSU football.

Can't counter my point so you resort to silly questions.....
    It's also silly to try to convince me that UNC wasn't also a blue blood program. Leaving one of the best coaching jobs in the country to go to another best job that also happens to be your alma mater is apples to oranges with the OSU to KSU comparison. Wether you agree or not, OSU absolutely is a top 25 job and KSU just isn't.

17. Default Re: OSU hires SFA's Underwood as coach

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Very skeptical on that happening. KSU will always be the little 1/2 step brother of KU in basketball. The difference between those two programs is even greater than it is between OU and OSU football.
    Skeptical of what? I'm not comparing KU to KSU..... I'm comparing leaving schools of comparable levels to go to your alma mater........ AP makes the point that OSU is a glamorous enough job to keep Underwood from going to his alma mater of KSU to coach at a later point.... I don't see the OSU job being that much better than the KSU job at this point in time.

I didn't see the UNC job being more glamorous than the KU job at the time that Roy Williams jumped ship..... So when two jobs are relatively equal. The draw to the alma mater can be a deciding factor.

18. Default Re: OSU hires SFA's Underwood as coach

Wether you agree or not, OSU absolutely is a top 25 job and KSU just isn't.
    Yeah... I definitely don't agree it's a Top 25 job at this point in time.

And I wasn't trying to convince you that UNC is not a blue blood program.... The point I made is that a lateral move to an alma mater is a possibility.... OSU isn't that much better a job than KSU.

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yeah... I definitely don't agree it's a Top 25 job at this point in time.
    Just out of curiosity, why is it not a top 25? Because over the last 8 years one coach did a horrible job?

Skeptical of what? I'm not comparing KU to KSU..... I'm comparing leaving schools of comparable levels to go to your alma mater........ AP makes the point that OSU is a glamorous enough job to keep Underwood from going to his alma mater of KSU to coach at a later point.... I don't see the OSU job being that much better than the KSU job at this point in time.

I didn't see the UNC job being more glamorous than the KU job at the time that Roy Williams jumped ship..... So when two jobs are relatively equal. The draw to the alma mater can be a deciding factor.
    I am skeptical that the attraction of coaching at his alma mater would eclipse coaching at OSU.

For comparison sake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford-Underwood.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	12391

Just out of curiosity, why is it not a top 25? Because over the last 8 years one coach did a horrible job?
    Travis Ford was the third most successful coach in OSU bb history at 137-96. Other than Eddie Sutton, and Henry Iba (whose last 5 years as head coach were dismal) what do you have to point to that OSU is a top 25 job?

^Totally possible that I'm just some jackass that has a biased view of the program.

25. Default Re: OSU hires SFA's Underwood as coach

No... It was the coach before him that did the horrible job.... Ford did a mediocre job.

I'm going to be more interested in seeing how the incoming highly touted recruiting class reacts to the coaching change.... If they stick then Underwood is going to have something to work with right away. If they decide to go elsewhere then OSU remains middle of the pack in the Big XII for a few more seasons possibly.

And why do I not consider them a Top 25? If they were Top 25 you would have Top 25 caliber coaches looking at the job...... Do you consider Brad Underwood a Top 25 coach right now? I certainly don't.... Although I do think he shows a lot of potential and is a good hire.

Thread Information