Widgets Magazine

Thread: A Better Classen

Classen A Better Classen

In response to a citizen-led initiative to create a more pedestrian friendly Classen Boulevard between Reno and NW 23rd Street, a steering committee was created named A Better Classen, comprising of local residents and stakeholders.

The committee organized two public meetings and ran public engagement meetings with housing associations, businesses, non-profits, and concerned citizens. Under the direction of Councilwoman Meg Salyer, the committee engaged the City of Oklahoma City's Planning Department, the local chapter of the Urban Land Institute (ULI), and the Institute for Quality Communities (IQC) at the University of Oklahoma.

After meeting and hearing from over three hundred Oklahoma City citizens, IQC composed an 80-page document highlighting areas, methods, and strategies associated with holistically addressing N. Classen. Upon presentation to Councilwoman Salyer and the Planning Department, Councilwoman Salyer requested the Steering Committee formally memorialize several short-term and long-term action items.

In a telephone interview, Councilwoman Salyer told OKCTalk she hopes to find funding the City's general budget for some of the smaller projects, while the larger items may become part of next year's general obligation bond.

Salyer added, "I am delighted with the outcome and whole process. This is a great example of a grassroots movement creating great placemaking on Classen."

FULL REPORT FROM OUIQC

Short/ Near Term:

1. East/West access across 16th St.

2. East/ West access (bike box) on 18th across Classen

3. Consistent development patterns on the West side of Classen/ Zoning overlay.

4. Close both turn lanes between 5th and 6th. Utilize a false median.

Long Term:

1. Connected sidewalks from NW 23rd to Reno on both sides of Classen. A block-by-block overview must be done to assess width of each sidewalk.

2. Shared Bus and Bike lane utilizing one of the existing lanes on each side of Classen.

3. Street art/ Mural along the retaining wall between NW 9th St and NW 7th Street.

Default Re: A Better Classen

I'm all for fixing the sidewalks, connecting them where they dead end, and general improving. I also like adding the street art and beautifying, but removing turn lanes and whatnot just sounds like a big no-no.

Sidewalks from NW 23rd to Reno, yes, I love this plan.

Love the emphasis on sidewalks and bike lanes. Murals always help too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I'm all for fixing the sidewalks, connecting them where they dead end, and general improving. I also like adding the street art and beautifying, but removing turn lanes and whatnot just sounds like a big no-no.
    Currently at that intersection, there are double turn lane both east and west bound. At the very least, it would make it only one turn lane and at the most, it would remove them completely. If the latter were to happen, you would still have three lanes northbound and three southbound so even in the turn lanes were taken out and the inside of the three lanes were backed up because people were turning, there would still be two other through lanes.

Trust me, those two turn lanes need to go.

They aren't lanes... Just cut-outs in the median and it's very dangerous to turn there.

We are happy to see this group moving forward some of the ideas. The full report with some of the ideas behind the recommendations is available here: A Better Classen Boulevard | The Institute for Quality Communities

For example, one justification for something like replacing turn lanes with landscaping comes from this traffic count measure, Vehicles Per Lane Per Hour. This shows the huge difference in peak hour volumes between northern sections of Classen (like north of 36th Street) versus this area south of 23rd Street. The measure may indicate excess capacity on Classen near downtown, even during peak times.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.56.50 AM.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	12270  

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Trust me, those two turn lanes need to go.

They aren't lanes... Just cut-outs in the median and it's very dangerous to turn there.
    This is correct. Pass through this intersection as least twice a day, usually four times, and cars are always misjudging how long it takes to make the turn and get across all the lanes.

9. Default Re: A Better Classen

I used to travel by bike and on foot between my home in the Plaza and midtown/downtown on a regular basis and this intersection was by far the most dangerous portion of my trip. I applaud the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ouiqc View Post
    We are happy to see this group moving forward some of the ideas. The full report with some of the ideas behind the recommendations is available here: A Better Classen Boulevard | The Institute for Quality Communities
    That is fantastic.

You guys do such great work and are a real asset to OKC and the state.

At the end of the day, this isn't somewhere I go, not sure if I've ever driven down it so it doesn't affect me. I am a big proponent of letting the "locals" determine what's best for the area so really I have not strong opinion. Cause when it comes down to it I wouldn't want people who never drive near where I live and work dictating what should or shouldn't be done. I really would like to see more beautification in general. I feel like that's the one thing we lack on a grand scale.

I'm still disappointed in how little will actually be done after all of this time and effort. The plan is more tactical than strategic and more traffic-management than community building.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    At the end of the day, this isn't somewhere I go, not sure if I've ever driven down it so it doesn't affect me. I am a big proponent of letting the "locals" determine what's best for the area so really I have not strong opinion. Cause when it comes down to it I wouldn't want people who never drive near where I live and work dictating what should or shouldn't be done. I really would like to see more beautification in general. I feel like that's the one thing we lack on a grand scale.
    This brings forth an interesting point about who should make decisions and how that should take place. In OKC, I would suspect that most locals would vote for wider lanes everywhere. But "most" people don't spend any time studying the issues and effects. So, to what degree should experts help to make these decisions, or at least, serve as leaders in the public dialogue? I'm honestly asking and not advocating for cutting the community out of the process. But, I can tell you that I would far rather have Jeff Speck than Larry Nichols making decisions about streetscapes around Devon.

You're right, it's a very interesting question and always had been about how decisions are made at the federal, state, city, ward and neighborhood levels.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    But, I can tell you that I would far rather have Jeff Speck than Larry Nichols making decisions about streetscapes around Devon.
    I'm not sure you meant this ironically or not so maybe you're already aware of this: but you do realize that the P180 streetscape changes Larry Nichols insisted occur around Devon were based explicitly on plans put forth by Jeff Speck himself?

I totally get what you are saying in your post, but the example you chose totally goes against your point. In the Devon example* the "powers that be" deferred to the experts (Speck and walkability) against the court of public opinion (more lanes and faster lanes always).

*Caveat: The skyways that Nichols insisted on being part of P180 are most clearly not part of Speck's plan. So...

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    In OKC, I would suspect that most locals would vote for wider lanes everywhere. But "most" people don't spend any time studying the issues and effects. So, to what degree should experts help to make these decisions, or at least, serve as leaders in the public dialogue? I'm honestly asking and not advocating for cutting the community out of the process. But, I can tell you that I would far rather have Jeff Speck than Larry Nichols making decisions about streetscapes around Devon.
    The interesting thing about this project is that it was supposed to be community-driven and the "locals" most definitely did not vote for wider lanes. In fact, the most common comment during the community meetings was that "We don't want Classen to turn into Northwest Expressway." The "expert" opinion won out and the focus shifted to add Classen to the "Northwest Corridor" instead of turning it into an example of modern placemaking...

I just read through the entire 2017 GO Bond proposal and was disappointed to see that this intersection did not get any funds. N. Classen as a whole did get money for various things, but in the standalone section for intersection improvments 16th and Classen did not make the cut. I wonder if they will swing some of the other
    Classen money into this project?

But honestly I'm surprised that with as much noise as the "Better Classen" people made that they were unable to get a line item carved out in the GO Bond.

Not sure how it works so this might be a dumb question, but maybe the thought is that intersection improvements will have to be made anyway as a result of the new development at 16th and Classen so they aren't in the GO Bond? What paid for the improved crosswalks/signals at 18th and Classen?

Blog Entries

I don't know a thing, but if I were betting, I suspect with the attention going into west downtown, the upcoming needs of the boulevard, etc, that much of whatever Classen funding there is will go into those kinds of areas. 16th/Classen def needs help, but those areas probably need it as well and will have some attention on them.

Thread Information