Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: East Bricktown Hotels

Bricktown3 East Bricktown Hotels

It appears plans are in the works to turn the old Central Freight Lines building and yard at 927 E Reno Ave into a new hotel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Proposed Reno Hotel.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	12248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Proposed Reno Hotel 2.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	12249

The property, situated directly north-east of the I-35/I-40/I-235 junction, sold in October 2015 to BRICKTOWN OKC JOSEPH INVESTMENTS LLC, an out-of-state developer who also appears to own the Biltmore Hotel in west Oklahoma City. According to documents filed with the City Planning commission, the property is being rezoned as I-1 Light Industrial (from it's current I-3 Heavy Industrial zoning) to allow for the construction of this new hotel. Thus far I can find no plans nor a building permit, so the flag and building design is currently unknown.

Default Re: 927 E Reno Ave

Yes, I contacted the property owner about this.

I'll add more later.

Ack, sorry if I jumped the gun on this! Do I need to pull anything down?

No, no... No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Ack, sorry if I jumped the gun on this! Do I need to pull anything down?
    First Rule of OKCTalk , Don't out scoop the Admin..

6. Default Re: 927 E Reno Ave

Motel 6?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The city has LOOOONG wanted to try some East Reno revitalization. At least back during Russell's reign.

This could be a great opportunity for a new master planned district or community.

Sheridan should be continued through and a new grid based street system built north of Reno. Maybe something like the Railyard District or something cool. Also, not that I would ever support a downtown football stadium, but there ever was to be one in OKC downtown, this would be a cool area to have it.

One other thing, I would really like to see the section of I-40 between I-35 and 235 either removed completely or even better, double stacked as an 8 lane highway with a 3rd stack for I-35 direct connection perhaps just north of Reno on Reno exactly and the waterfront restored. More optimally, I would like to see this highway buried, but I don't what is more unrealistic, this portion of I-40 being buried or triple stacked. Would be nice to have buildings a bike path along that river instead of the highway that is there now.

Would love to see the buried option. Was recently in Dallas and they now have a buried and stacked portion of I-620 out near the Galleria. It's a Tollway but it's AMAZING! The Tollway is below ground and the 620 above-ground has the exits. It made for a speedy bypass when traveling through.

Eastbound and down: OERB cleanup could spur development in Bricktown ‘suburbs’

By: Sarah Terry-Cobo The Journal Record April 13, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – Joshua Joseph said he saw what looked like a junkyard east of Bricktown and thought it would be a great place for a hotel. The Dallas-based developer was driving east on Reno Avenue when he spotted the Central Freight Lines trucking terminal dotted with truck parts.

“I want to create a beautiful entrance to Bricktown,” Joseph said.

Heavy equipment cleared dirt and concrete chunks on the site Wednesday as contractors removed the remnants of leftover material. Joseph’s project is moving forward quickly in part because there was an abandoned oil well on the lot. The Oklahoma Energy Resources Board is removing debris from a well drilled in 1931, as part of its well-site restoration program. In 1971, the well was plugged and the site was abandoned.

The environmental cleanup initiative is funded through a voluntary one-tenth of one percent tax on oil and gas production. The site on 927 E Reno Ave. is OERB’s 15,000th restoration project since the organization was founded in 1993. The group has spent $100 million.

OERB Environmental Director Steve Sowers said it will cost about $20,000 to remediate the concrete and scrap metal left on Joseph’s lot. The site is fairly typical of those drilled in the 1930s, Sowers said. It includes four concrete foundations, where the footing of an oil derrick was attached when the well was drilled. The project should be completed in about five days, depending on the weather, he said.

OERB restored about 401 well sites in Oklahoma County, and there are about 68 awaiting cleanup. At least 20,000 more sites across the state need more evaluation, Sowers said.

He said Joseph could help kick off redevelopment on Reno Avenue east of the Interstate 235 interchange. Joseph said he wasn’t aware of the abandoned well site until after he purchased the property, but OERB approached him about the no-cost cleanup program.

Joseph said he wants to provide a more affordable hotel for people visiting Bricktown or the new whitewater rafting attraction, which are less than a mile from his property.

Joseph he plans to develop the seven-acre lot in phases. He plans to build a 97-room Candlewood Suites, with construction to begin in late summer.

He said if there is interest, he would like to build apartments on the lot too.

“I want to make it the suburbs of Bricktown,” Joseph said.

More incentives are needed to encourage retail and leisure development east of Bricktown, he said. If the city built a sidewalk to connect his property to the nearby tourist attractions, it would encourage more people to walk in the district, he said.

^

Will be nice to have development on this side, however, hope he doesn't go cheap. Agree it needs sidewalks!

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post

“I want to make it the suburbs of Bricktown,” Joseph said.
    *shudders* I hope he means that to describe it's proximity to Bricktown and not design-wise.

This will be a 4-story Candelwood Suites.

The building permits have been filed and are close to being approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The city has LOOOONG wanted to try some East Reno revitalization. At least back during Russell's reign.
    Before Russell's reign, actually. APA even came in and helped with a planning effort through its assistance program.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This will be a 4-story Candelwood Suites.

The building permits have been filed and are close to being approved.
    I like this, being on the other side of the highway it most likely won't pull the same rates as several blocks west would. Which means this may be a more affordable option for families who are visiting but want to be downtown but can't justify some of the more pricy options.

I agree. It's also very useful for longer-term business travelers who need to be close to downtown but still want the ability to cook their own meals, since there's a kitchenette in every room. I just hope that the developer follows a more urban model for this location instead of the traditional large parking lot suburban model.

Default Re: Candlewood Suites

Dallas hotelier Joshua Joseph has submitted plans that show a cluster of 4 hotels for an area to the east of the Bricktown district.

The first hotel – a 97 room, 4-story Candelwood Suites – is just starting construction at 933 E. Reno.

The area just east of I-235 has long been neglected but Joseph bought nearly 7 acres for $600,000 and has drawn up plans that show a total of 399 rooms.

The plans come as 4 separate hotel projects are deep into construction to the immediate west, with several more in the planning stages for the Bricktown area.

See our comprehensive Downtown Hotel Summary for details on the other projects, including links to full articles and renderings.

Currently, the downtown area has over 2,500 rooms with 557 under construction and 1,247 planned, not including this project.

Pete, that seems like an over abundance of hotel rooms. I have asked this before and I will ask it again, is DT/BT OKC getting too overbuilt on hotel rooms where ADR and OCC will start dropping?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Pete, that seems like an over abundance of hotel rooms. I have asked this before and I will ask it again, is DT/BT OKC getting too overbuilt on hotel rooms where ADR and OCC will start dropping?
    Any price pressure from oversupply will affect suburban hotels before it will affect downtown too much.

Blog Entries

Are there even sidewalks included?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Any price pressure from oversupply will affect suburban hotels before it will affect downtown too much.
    That isn't exactly true. Overbuilding the demand in downtown is entirely possible. People don't just stay in other parts of the city because they can't get a room downtown. Downtown isn't convenient for all our guests. There are limits to every market.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    That isn't exactly true. Overbuilding the demand in downtown is entirely possible. People don't just stay in other parts of the city because they can't get a room downtown. Downtown isn't convenient for all our guests. There are limits to every market.
    I'm not saying every hotel outside of downtown will shut their doors. I would agree that both markets would be affected, but I think downtown hotels would be more likely to maintain profitable rates and bookings more easily than say a hotel on I-240 and S. Western.

edit - nevermind, i refuse to be a Debbie Downer

There needs to be pressure for urban design and good sidewalks or that will just hamper this area if core development ever extends to this far east. If I'm reading these renderings correctly these are straight suburban designs.

Thread Information