Widgets Magazine

Thread: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild?

It is not a decision or policy. They are limited by state law

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    It is not a decision or policy. They are limited by state law
    It's a law that needs to be changed. Maybe next session, this years legislature wasn't terrified of debt like 2014's was.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    It's a law that needs to be changed. Maybe next session, this years legislature wasn't terrified of debt like 2014's was.
    I may be entirely wrong on this, but I believe it may be a state constitutional issue. I know all the double-speak that's gone into the MAPS projects has been due to constitutional prohibitions on long-term municipal debt and logrolling. Said then, and I'll repeat - someone needs to attack that particular issue, although I certainly understand and laud the desire to keep the state and its cities free of long-term debt. We've saved ourselves from going down the ugly path trod by other cities not so cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I may be entirely wrong on this, but I believe it may be a state constitutional issue. I know all the double-speak that's gone into the MAPS projects has been due to constitutional prohibitions on long-term municipal debt and logrolling. Said then, and I'll repeat - someone needs to attack that particular issue, although I certainly understand and laud the desire to keep the state and its cities free of long-term debt. We've saved ourselves from going down the ugly path trod by other cities not so cautious.
    You'll need debt controls that doesn't allow the debt to exceed a certain percentage of state GDP. Put a limit on it so it doesn't spiral out of control.

However, building highways and roads this way simply makes no sense. Maybe a temporary gas tax to fund specific highway improvements could get passed. Then sell off the rights to said tax dollars to investors to fund it immediately and start construction.

Thread Information