Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Making a Murderer

Default Re: Making a Murderer

^

Thanks for posting that.

I'm not going to read all 6-weeks worth but I did read through one day that featured lead investigator Fassbender form the Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation and it was very eye-opening to how the flimmakers cut his testimony to really forward this James Lenk conflict of interest idea when Fassbender himself said that there was no question of conflict in his mind and gave a detailed explanation as to why.

Of course, that was completely omitted from the documentary to give everyone watching the distinct impression there were all types of improprieties around Lenk and possible conflicts (all presented with ominous music in the background) when the lead investigator from the State of Wisconsin said completely the opposite.

Fassbender also said that Lenk was never at the crime scene without someone else from outside the County present and that they welcomed and needed the assistance of the County. The idea wasn't that no one in the County could be involved, it was that the lead investigators and prosecutors who organized and drove this case were not from the County, just to be extra safe.

Verifies all my feelings about this entire docuseries where they took things and intentionally edited them to forward their conspiracy theories when there were lots of important explanations that were purposely left out.

From all the hype, I figured this "documentary" wasn't worth watching. I was wrong. It compares favorably with "The Thin Blue Line" . . . "The Wire" . . . "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy" . . . "Carnivale" . . . Downton Abbey . . . and "The Sopranos." Please don't tell me how it turns out. (did I forget "Rumpole of The Bailey" . . ? The Iowa Primaries? =~)

http://www.eonline.com/news/787359/m...sed-in-90-days

One of the stars of the Netflix hit Making a Murderer just received major news today in a Milwaukee court.

Brendan Dassey's conviction was overturned by a federal judge moments ago, court reporters tweeted.

According to court documents, a judge ordered that Brendan should be "released from custody unless, within 90 days of the date of this decision, the State initiates proceedings to retry him."

The judge further ordered that "in the event the respondent appeals this judgment, this judgment will be stayed pending resolution of that appeal."

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    http://www.eonline.com/news/787359/m...sed-in-90-days

One of the stars of the Netflix hit Making a Murderer just received major news today in a Milwaukee court.

Brendan Dassey's conviction was overturned by a federal judge moments ago, court reporters tweeted.

According to court documents, a judge ordered that Brendan should be "released from custody unless, within 90 days of the date of this decision, the State initiates proceedings to retry him."

The judge further ordered that "in the event the respondent appeals this judgment, this judgment will be stayed pending resolution of that appeal."

He never should have been convicted in the first place IMO. The cops pretty much talked him into confessing and also pretty much told him what to say.

Great news as far as I'm concerned. His **interrogation** was beyond sleazy.

^

I can understand that perspective given the way that entire series was filmed but if you read the court transcripts they left a lot out and did a great deal of selective editing.

Not so sure this guy is going to be released, as prosecutors tend to protect their convictions pretty aggressively.

I also seriously doubt he is innocent, even if his confession was obtained under somewhat dubious circumstances.

I just think with his intellect he would have broken down and confessed within 5 minutes of being grilled had he really been involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And AGAIN, the footage in this documentary was heavily edited and even shown out of sequence. There is simply no way anyone watching all these episodes -- and I've watched them all twice now -- is any position to say what did and didn't happen.
    I just finished it and that's kind of how I felt. I was surprised that there wasn't much convincing of anything in the show. From the reaction, I thought it would be much more convincing. There was a lot of things it showed that just made me think 'WTF, that can't be right'. The contaminated DNA from the RAV4, the FBI's EDTA test, and Dassey's post conviction hearing were the most puzzling to me. In the case of the DNA, it seemed weird that they made the exception this time, when they had not before and it was against protocol to do so, mainly because the show made it seem like their justification for it was simply "nah, it's okay this time". The FBI EDTA test just seemed like a totally unscientific approach, especially as I understand it, there was no control. And, it seemed to me that it was pretty well shown that Dassey's first attorney wasn't working in his client's best interest, or at least he was operating under the assumption he was, in fact, guilty. However, none of that makes me know for sure they didn't do it.

But, I do understand the manipulation involved, which is why I was so confused most of the time. The show left so many matzoh balls hanging out there and didn't really show the responses to them, which I just assume must have been made. A lot of the time I wasn't sure what the prosecution was alleging happened exactly or why exactly they thought it. I really just came away from it going "what!?". I kind of felt set up in the same way as if someone came up to me with some footage and said "OK, I'm going to show you a UFO that's an alien spaceship". Then after seeing video of a flying object that I can not identify, they say "see! Have you ever seen anything like that before? It must be an alien spaceship!".

There has been a ton of action on these cases in the last few months. Brandon Dassey's conviction was overturned due to the coerced confession. The State is able to appeal this decision. Here is the judge's decision:

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-co...-and-Order.pdf

Kathleen Zellner, an attorney renowned for freeing innocent people who were wrongly convicted, has filed a motion on Avery's behalf requesting to use new methods to test the evidence. She can explain it better than I:

MAM2 is currently filming and will hopefully get to show both men being released.

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    There has been a ton of action on these cases in the last few months. Brandon Dassey's conviction was overturned due to the coerced confession. The State is able to appeal this decision. Here is the judge's decision:

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-co...-and-Order.pdf

Kathleen Zellner, an attorney renowned for freeing innocent people who were wrongly convicted, has filed a motion on Avery's behalf requesting to use new methods to test the evidence. She can explain it better than I:

MAM2 is currently filming and will hopefully get to show both men being released.
    Looking more and more live Avery was railroaded for a 2nd time and Zellner appears to have the proof.

This is like being caught between a rock and a hard place (legal-/justice-wise). If Avery is innocent, the killer is still at large. If Avery is guilty--and freed--then another dumbass is loose on the streets. It's sort of like the Speluncean Cave Explorers . . . except in Wisconsin (edited to correct the spelling of Speluncean )

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    This is like being caught between a rock and a hard place (legal-/justice-wise). If Avery is innocent, the killer is still at large. If Avery is guilty--and freed--then another dumbass is loose on the streets. It's sort of like the Speluncean Cave Explorers . . . except in Wisconsin (edited to correct the spelling of Speluncean )
    The DNA should tell us if it was Avery and if it proves it wasn't the police have some splainin to do. One of the claims is that some of the blood found was from an old sample of Avery's. If what they say is true they can now tell how old that blood is so we should know if it was planted. If it was,they are going to have to open this back up.

Thread Information