Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: What's you living arrangement ?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Owns a home

53 79.10%
  • Rents or leases a home

4 5.97%
  • Rents or leases an Apartment/ Condo

10 14.93%
  • Still lives at home

0 0%
  • Lives in an assisted living

0 0%

Thread: Homeowner Status

Default Homeowner Status

I'm curious to find out the percentage of folks on OkcTalk, who owns, rents, leases and whether it's a single family home ,apartment, condo, room, etc...

Default Re: Homeowner Status

Two weeks into this survey/thread, I am not so much surprised with the results of the survey itself...but, rather that there hasn't been page after page of comments/posts stating how Oklahoma City is so backwoods country bumpkin, because everyone owns their home.....instead of paying rent on a 900sq ft apartment in midtown, while riding the bus and bike everywhere. Brings a tear to my eye actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    Two weeks into this survey/thread, I am not so much surprised with the results of the survey itself...but, rather that there hasn't been page after page of comments/posts stating how Oklahoma City is so backwoods country bumpkin, because everyone owns their home.....instead of paying rent on a 900sq ft apartment in midtown, while riding the bus and bike everywhere. Brings a tear to my eye actually.
    I'm kind of surprised, by the lopsided homeownership versus apartment/condo dwellers.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    I'm kind of surprised, by the lopsided homeownership versus apartment/condo dwellers.....
    First of all, very few on this board have voted, so the percentages are very likely to be skewed. Secondly, the figures are almost certainly not representative of the population as a whole since those who participate in this forum are likely not representative of the general population. Also, consider that those who own homes or who are in the position to own may be more inclined to concern themselves with local matters which might affect the largest investment that many of them will ever make: their homes. Thus, here they are on OKCTalk conversing with others about local affairs. That's just one hypothesis, and there are surely dozens more which could be equally likely. Perhaps homeowners are more inclined to vote altogether relative to renters. Perhaps some of the votes are from renters claiming to homeowners. Perhaps the low cost of real estate and low cost of living here in Oklahoma make owning a home more attainable.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

I own a condo so I selected the first option. It's possible that others like me have chosen the first option so you might not be getting fully accurate results.

FWIW, the national home ownership rate as of this summer is about 63.4%, which is about a 5 decade-low.

U.S. Homeownership Rate Falls to the Lowest Level Since the 1960s - Bloomberg Business

Also, people who own homes are more likely to be proud of that fact and probably more likely to indicate that they are.

Renters have less pride about where they live and are most likely not drawn to an ownership poll.

For what it's worth, I'm an apartment renter.

8. Default Re: Homeowner Status

I don't know, I know some people that are pretty proud of the fact that when the weekend comes they've got no lawn to mow, no house to maintain and when they go away for the weekend, nobody notices!

And one has to consider how much easier it is to own a home in Oklahoma than in many other parts of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I don't know, I know some people that are pretty proud of the fact that when the weekend comes they've got no lawn to mow, no house to maintain and when they go away for the weekend, nobody notices!
    That's a large part of the reason why when I went house-shopping, I only looked at condos. I lived for years in the suburbs, house maintenance has never grown less annoying.

11. Default Re: Homeowner Status

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That's a large part of the reason why when I went house-shopping, I only looked at condos. I lived for years in the suburbs, house maintenance has never grown less annoying.
    There is definitely all kinds of home ownership; no maintenance (condo/loft), low maintenance (small lot, small home, conservative lifestyle) and high maintenance (large lot, like to remodel/refurnish regularly, historic home, etc.).

I've done all three to an extent. Started in apartments, rented condos, bought a tiny house on a little lot, and now live in a larger home on a couple of acres. In many ways I think my financially smartest move would have been to have bought the condo I was renting when the owner offered it to me (Sycamore Square downtown). Or, stayed in the tiny house (whose monthly costs were far lower than most rent).

But, as a family we really like maintaining a house ourselves and we find it keeps us off the couch and healthier. The plan is to stay until we either hate the yard work (doubt that will ever happen) or simply can't maintain it ourselves.

There is all kinds of math you can do to either prove or disprove the financial sense of ownership vs. renting. Really comes down to your lifestyle, expectations and financial ability.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    There is definitely all kinds of home ownership; no maintenance (condo/loft), low maintenance (small lot, small home, conservative lifestyle) and high maintenance (large lot, like to remodel/refurnish regularly, historic home, etc.).

I've done all three to an extent. Started in apartments, rented condos, bought a tiny house on a little lot, and now live in a larger home on a couple of acres. In many ways I think my financially smartest move would have been to have bought the condo I was renting when the owner offered it to me (Sycamore Square downtown). Or, stayed in the tiny house (whose monthly costs were far lower than most rent).

But, as a family we really like maintaining a house ourselves and we find it keeps us off the couch and healthier. The plan is to stay until we either hate the yard work (doubt that will ever happen) or simply can't maintain it ourselves.

There is all kinds of math you can do to either prove or disprove the financial sense of ownership vs. renting. Really comes down to your lifestyle, expectations and financial ability.
    This last part is absolutely true. Couldn't agree more.

Thread Information