Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Asian food?

Default Best Asian food?

Since moving back I am overwhelmed with all the Asian food choices, especially in the Asian District.

I live nearby and want to start exploring but not quite sure where to start. Don't care about authenticity or atmosphere, just delicious food.

Thus far I've had Guernsey Park and Chae and loved them both. Sala Thai is on my list.

I like everything, so help me out here... What places should I try first and what should I order?

Default Re: Best Asian food?

I enjoy Lido and Golden Phoenix. For Indian food, which some consider to fall under Asian, I love Taj.

Thanks, I will try all of those.

I also want to go into Lee's Sandwiches and try a bunch of things there.

And I'll also go to the grocery store at 25th & Military.

Fung's Kitchen is a bit pricier, but OMFG, it's well worth it. Also, Chow's Chinese on May gets fabulous reviews.

Szechuan Bistro located along the southside of Memorial behind the OnCue at the corner of Memorial and Western. And I second Chow on May. Both are fabulous. Chow is more authentic Chinese, meanwhile Szechuan has a little more. I eat SB weekly for lunch.

I totally forgot Fung's. Lee's is pretty good. I've never been to the grocery though I know a few people who use it.

7. Default Re: Best Asian food?

I second Chow's and Fung's and I also like Grand Village on 23rd near Shepherd Mall.... Been years since I ate at Golden Phoenix but I remember it being good.

My go to for Thai is Panang but I haven't been to a lot of other Thai restaurants.

As for Vietnamese... I have yet to find one I didn't like.... They all seem to have their own personal characteristics.

Definitely try Pho Lien Hoa off 23rd and Francis...just bring cash though. I would second Golden Phoenix as well.

I love Chow's over here on May close to me ( I pick up from them probably weekly)
    Golden Phoenix is where I like to go to sit and eat there they have a huge menu and that is where we will be having Christmas Dinner.
    Banana Island is great to and its in the shops to the south of Super Cao Nguyen.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Szechuan Bistro located along the southside of Memorial behind the OnCue at the corner of Memorial and Western. And I second Chow on May. Both are fabulous. Chow is more authentic Chinese, meanwhile Szechuan has a little more. I eat SB weekly for lunch.
    Chows is the most authentic imo. Fung's Kitchen has the only legit dim sum on the weekends. Golden Phoenix has a great and extensive menu. Lots of great pho choices as well: Pho Cuong, Pho Lien Hoa. Szechuan Bistro is most excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeD2zL View Post
    Chows is the most authentic imo. Fung's Kitchen has the only legit dim sum on the weekends. Golden Phoenix has a great and extensive menu. Lots of great pho choices as well: Pho Cuong, Pho Lien Hoa. Szechuan Bistro is most excellent.
    Welcome to the site -- great first post. Please post more.

What about Japanese?

Specifically, who has some really good chicken teriyaki? This is one of my favorite dishes and prefer they nicely grilled type vs. the stewy type.

13. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Banana Island is great to and its in the shops to the south of Super Cao Nguyen.
    Has Banana Island improved recently? It really went downhill after they moved from where Taj is on 23rd street now and I finally gave up on them after my last visit at this location.... I really loved them at one time but based on my last visit and reviews I've seen from others... I've really been hesitant about giving them another go.

I'll echo Chow's for Chinese.... I still need to make it to Fung's. I've only been once, but Szechuan Bistro was very good, just kind of a hike for me.

Sala Thai and Tana Thai are both great.

Pho Lien Hoa and Pho Van are my go-to's for Vietnamese

For Japanese, there's Mushashi's/Shogun's and Sushi (Tokyo Sushi is my favorite), and Ramen

There are plenty I've left out or haven't tried, there's an overwhelming amount of Asian restaurants around OKC

I tried Go-Go Sushi as it's right around the corner and the roll I had was good but I really need to try their teriyaki and other dishes.

16. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Definitely try Pho Lien Hoa off 23rd and Francis...just bring cash though. I would second Golden Phoenix as well.
    Agree on Pho Lien Hoa.

17. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Chow's does a great job with pan-fried rice. Most places here aren't great at it. Also they are good with seafood. I've been told that (as others mention above) that it is the most authentic, but having not been to China I wouldn't know. And of course even in China there are many different regions with different cuisine

It does make sense to me, however, that most places here are aiming for an American palate. Also, I don't think the Chinese population here is especially large, and most of the places representing as Chinese are actually Indochinese/Vietnamese, of which there is a VERY large population. And of course when many of these people arrived in the 70s and 80s Vietnam was not a really popular place with Americans, so many enterprising Vietnamese immigrants opened "Chinese" restaurants, which was much more in OKC's cultural comfort zone. Glad that in the past decade or so these operators have felt comfortable enough coming out from behind that fiction and being openly Vietnamese, Thai, etc. It has really opened up the Asian food scene.

I've only tried Chow's once, and left disappointed. I can walk there from home, and had hoped to love it, but I think I may have just ordered wrong. What would you all recommend there? I'll have to try some of the fried rices that BBQ referred to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    I've only tried Chow's once, and left disappointed. I can walk there from home, and had hoped to love it, but I think I may have just ordered wrong. What would you all recommend there? I'll have to try some of the fried rices that BBQ referred to.
    one of my favorite dishes is Green Bean Chicken. if you like garlic you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Has Banana Island improved recently? It really went downhill after they moved from where Taj is on 23rd street now and I finally gave up on them after my last visit at this location.... I really loved them at one time but based on my last visit and reviews I've seen from others... I've really been hesitant about giving them another go.
    I have not been in a month probably. but It was good

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Agree on Pho Lien Hoa.
    Thirded. (Fourthed?)

I recommend trying out Chow's and Dot Wo Garden which are both on May. I know Dot Wo Garden has a separate menu if you ask them that has more authentic dishes. My family and I have enjoyed going there for many years back when the same management/owners were at the Portland location. Some of our favorites are clay pot chicken, egg drop soup, mushi pork/chicken (moo-she, not sure on the spelling), egg rolls, grilled lemon chicken, peking shrimp, sweet and sour chicken just to name a few of our favorites. I went to the website and they don't have the full menu as on there. I hope this helps!

Pho Lien Hoa for pho. Panang for Thai, no other Thai place compares. Manna for Indian hands down. Chows for Chinese hands down. Fung's or grand house for Sunday lunch. There is no awesome Japanese but Tokyo puts out amazing sushi on a quiet & stale atmosphere. I loooove shogun's in north park mall. It's so old school, so cheap, so good. Until recently the filet & lobster 5 course meal was $33

Bistro VII also does a good job of just about everything. Golden Phoenix and lido is worth mentioning but not for Chinese food. The Vietnamese style dishes rule here.

Thai Kitchen! Pete, you can walk there in like 5 seconds. Fantastic authentic Thai. The owner is Thai and his wife is Burmese I believe. It's legit.

Mad props to the poster above re: Manna - solid, solid Indian food. No, not Taj.

25. Default Re: Best Asian food?

I like Thai Delight but they are in Norman.

Thread Information