Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Asian food?

Default Re: Best Asian food?

All great suggestions so far. Agree on Pho Lien Hoa for pho, Chow's for authentic Chinese, and Guernsey Park for fusion. Those 3 are our go-to places. Been wanting to try Szechuan Bistro as I've heard a lot of great things, but it's just so out of the way. Got burnt out on sushi a long time ago, so I never seek it out anymore, but Tokyo was always the best quality, IMO.

Not sure if anyone else would agree with me on this, but I have eaten a lot of pho in other cities and I feel like every time I have it, it seems to be better than anything we have an OKC. Whether it's Dallas, Denver, Seattle, or California, I always found a place that has kind of blown me away. Not sure if it tasted so good just because I was craving it at the time, they loaded up the msg on me, or if the broth was really that much more flavorful. But I felt like those places are better than what we have. Used to think Pho Lien Hoa always had great broth, but the most recent time I went, I felt like it was lacking in flavor. Hoping it was a fluke.

My wife and I went to Szechuan Bistro today (all this talk got me to craving it) and I suggest anyone who goes there order "C3A Pork Wonton In Spicy Sauce" as an appetizer. It's $4.95 for twelve small won-tons in a slightly spicy chili and maybe soy sauce. They have sesame seeds sprinkled on top and everyone we've bought them for has loved them.

If you are feeling really daring, try "C38 Hot and Spicy Pork Intestine and Sliced Fish In Clay Pot". This is chunks of pork intestine (my wife likes those...I won't even try them) and big chunks of fish fillet cooked in a red, soupy sauce that is a bit on the spicy side and it makes your tongue tingle when you eat it. I think it's the Szechuan pepper corns in it.

"C50 Sliced Fish in a Tangy Sweet Sauce" is large chunks of fish lightly battered and fried in a lemonesque sweet sauce. It's sort of like the lemon version of sweet & sour dishes but somehow totally different. Everyone we've introduced to this dish also loved it.

Finally, "C35 Jumbo Shrimp Sauteed with X.O. Sauce" is my favorite. It's thinly sliced green bell pepper, jalapeno, celery and bean sprouts with about 6-8 jumbo shrimp in X.O. Sauce. This one is hard to describe because it has a slightly charbroiled taste and the vegetables are sauteed to a just-still-slightly-crispy perfection.

As you can tell, I'm very enthusiastic about Szechuan Bistro and we've never been disappointed in anything we've tried there.

Chiming in about Szechuan Bistro as well. It became my go to place when my friend (he's Chinese & claims it's the best in OKC) introduced me to it a year or so ago. The food, service, and prices can't be beat. Interestingly enough, the last time we were there, a big group of the workers (maybe family?) brought out some drawings and were discussing ppening another restaurant with a bar. It helped that my friend could understand and translate what they were saying. I'm not sure if anyone here has information on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4OU View Post
    Chiming in about Szechuan Bistro as well. It became my go to place when my friend (he's Chinese & claims it's the best in OKC) introduced me to it a year or so ago. The food, service, and prices can't be beat. Interestingly enough, the last time we were there, a big group of the workers (maybe family?) brought out some drawings and were discussing ppening another restaurant with a bar. It helped that my friend could understand and translate what they were saying. I'm not sure if anyone here has information on it.
    I wonder if it would be in addition to the existing location or if it would replace the current location. They did extensive remodeling on this building and added on a whole dining wing on the East side. They certainly stay busy enough to justify a second location.

Pho Kim Long, inside the Hy Palace buffet at 23rd and Classen, also makes a very good bowl of pho - and they accept credit cards. I find their Chinese buffet acceptable but nothing great. I also definitely agree with the Sala Thai - darn good stuff. I'm honestly split on my preference for Indian; Taj on 23rd and Himalayas in Moore are both very delicious. Lee's Sandwiches is great for bahn mi; I haven't gotten a sandwich I didn't like from them. If you find yourself on the South side with a hungry belly, check out Hibachi Supreme Buffet on I-240 and Western. I'd describe them as an above-average buffet. They have some very interesting menu options like crawfish, squid, and frog legs, as well as sushi and noodle dishes made on a hibachi grill. Best time to go is when they are busy, since the food gets refreshed more quickly. As far as Japanese goes, there are *many* delicious options; I really enjoy Gogo in Midtown (their Tonkatsu bento box for lunch is awesome!) and Sumo in Edmond (tons of sushi options, including a smaller All-You-Can-Eat menu, and Hibachi tables too).

As I was typing my original reply to this thread, I had a nagging feeling that I was leaving out a very important restaurant. Now I remember! B-Won at SW 44th & Sunnylane has fantastic Korean food! They have Hibachi tables available and those dishes are excellent. You get meat (somewhat self-cooked) at the table, along with cold crisp green leaf lettuce for a wrapping and a delicious sauce. Our favorite regular menu item is #8, which I can't even pronounce, much less remember. It's pork belly cooked in a mildly spicy sauce. The Bulgogis are excellent as well. Don't forget to try the Korean version of sushi! It's on the appetizer menu and pretty easy to spot. We've tried about four different Korean restaurants in the area and B-Won is the best, by far.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4OU View Post
    I used to go there a lot when it first opened. It was always about 90% Chinese patrons and all I talked to thought it the best in OKC at the time.

Had pho from VII Asian Bistro today and I have to say, it's slowly starting to move up in my top places to go for pho. The last two times we've been here, the broth has been really solid. And I mentioned earlier that I was disappointed in the broth at Pho Lien Hoa on our most recent visit. Probably a fluke though, as that's probably the only time that's ever been the case for me. And they take AMEX! Hard to find many Asian restaurants that take AMEX, or in Pho Lien Hoa's case, credit cards at all.

I also heard that Pho Van was good

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What about Japanese?
    Tokyo Japanese Restaraunt.

In the core Tokyo for Japanese food. Very authentic with both Japanese and Okinawan dishes. They also have good soups and pork cutlets. If you don't mind driving to MWC or Moore, try Volcano Sushi. It has become my favorite sushi place; they have more of a New York style going on.

For Korean, there's Chae in the core (which is more of a fusion), or All About Cha (great tea and less fusiony Korean), or for something more authentic there's Dong-A in Moore or several places in MWC like Korea House or Seoul Garden.

I think All About Cha is even opening a Bricktown location.

Chinese... For authentic, I still have a soft spot in my heart for Grand House. Also Fungs is very good.

Vietnamese... Phoenix Asian Bistro (it's a Chinese / Vietnamese fusion, their pho and lemongrass rocks), Pho Lien Hoa, Lee's.

Hmm maybe Lido, don't know haven't been in a long while. Probably more known for Vietnamese.

Thai... In the core probably Sala Thai. In Edmond, Norman, or MWC I would go with Thai Delight. Panang is also very good.

Indian... Taj in the core. But the best in the metro is Himalayas in Moore.

Polynesian.... Sadly, as far as I know we still have not hopped on this fad yet.

I like the pork and shrimp egg rolls at Lee's alot.

Sometimes the banh mi sandwiches at Lee's tear up the roof of my mouth, so the last couple times I went for one I ordered them from the counter at Super cao Nguyen. They have some better bread IMO. 3.25 cash.

Pho lien Hoa only takes cash, but they have that ATM right there, lol!

Had lunch at Pho Lien Hoa today.

Had one of their beef pho bowls and it was very good. Got the large size which was just way too much food for me.

What an operation! They really work that place and turn tables very quickly. Watch lots and lots of people flow through there, through down their cash, then others came right behind.

I'm tempted to try some of their rice dishes as they had some interesting sauces and spicy peppers on each table.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Had lunch at Pho Lien Hoa today.

Had one of their beef pho bowls and it was very good. Got the large size which was just way too much food for me.

What an operation! They really work that place and turn tables very quickly. Watch lots and lots of people flow through there, through down their cash, then others came right behind.

I'm tempted to try some of their rice dishes as they had some interesting sauces and spicy peppers on each table.
    Did you step next door and try the made-on-site fresh, fried tofu?

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Did you step next door and try the made-on-site fresh, fried tofu?
    No, but it certainly looked intriguing!

Had Thai Kitchen for carry-out tonight...

Had the #19 (chili sauce) with chicken and asked for it spicy. Was really, really good. One of my favorite dishes in OKC thus far.

The food was spicy but not overwhelmingly so and I like that they use ground chicken, as it allows all the various flavors to blend a bit better.

Also had an order of spring rolls which were just okay... Will try something else next time.

Wanted to bump this thread as I tried Fung's for dim sum recently for the first time ever. Saw a lot of people on here recommend it and I am surprised at myself for taking so long to try this place out. We've been Grand House patrons for dim sum over the past 10-15 years, but I think we may have just been converted to Fung's. There was a small group of people waiting when I arrived to get two tables for 16 of us. Being that the place is tiny, I was nervous that we'd be waiting forever. Not the case here; they were able to clear one large and one small table for us within 10 minutes. In communicating with the owner/manager, she was very accommodating. The food was excellent and staff was very friendly. The biggest difference we noticed was that many of the dishes seemed a lot less greasy than GH. The chicken feet was delicious and the shumai was just as good as any other place we've had. One thing I was extremely happy with was this roll/bao type thing that had a gooey egg custard in it. Never had it before and it was the perfect sweet dessert. I recall coming home to OKC several years back and seeing that they had opened up on Classen, but after talking to the owner, I found out they occupied the space on 23rd that is now Taj. Never realized they were there for a few years. Not ruling GH out for future dim sum, but Fung's has def worked itself into the rotation.

^^^
    While not a huge dim-sum fan I will always take Fung's over Grand House.

One of my favorite places for rice place is Pho Thai Nguyen.

20. Default Re: Best Asian food?

When I lived downtown I would hit up Sala Thai on 23rd every couple of weeks. Nice family with good food.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Being that the place is tiny, I was nervous that we'd be waiting forever.
    One thing I liked about Fungs being small, the carts don't take forever to get around to you.

For Korean, I enjoy the restaurant inside Terry Mart (the Mexican/Korean grocery store) around NW 16th and Drexel. They have really good soondubu jjigae and yukgaejang.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenkane View Post
    For Korean, I enjoy the restaurant inside Terry Mart (the Mexican/Korean grocery store) around NW 16th and Drexel. They have really good soondubu jjigae and yukgaejang.
    El Mariachi? My wife goes in there weekly for the Korean deli. It's an interesting store with good food!

Their rice is questionable. Got moths in a couple of bags of rice.

For Korean I like Korean House in MWC. went last night.. so much food.. so delicious.
    I wish I could buy a huge Jar of their KimChi

Thread Information