Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

This made me laugh:

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mkokc View Post
    Rumor mill bubbling with word that Warren Buffett, who owns Tulsa World, might be interested in buying The Oklahoman, too. Would only make sense at this point and frankly, would be better for OKC.
    This would be interesting.

This is interesting.

Recently hired reporter Ben Felder calling out the Oklahoman editorial board for refuting one of his articles that he wrote for the Oklahoman. What the heck is going on here?

Ben is a great reporter with a lot of integrity. His reporting is thorough. The Oklahoman is lucky to have him.

We received notice at our store that the Daily Oklahoman will go from .75 to $1.50 and Sunday Edition from $2.00 to $3.00

Darn. Wish I still subscribed so I could cancel again.

Tentative plan is for the price increase to be for newsstand issues only at this time and is expected to go in place Oct 1.

This is the length that Steve Lackmeyer often goes to in order to avoid providing one shred of credit to this site, and how he directly lifts info from OKCTalk without attribution.

This question was asked based on our exclusive story on this new bar just yesterday. Nothing on this had previously been reported. If Lackmeyer knew all this before yesterday where was his story?

Rather than saying "OKCTalk reported" he goes way out of his way to avoid any reference to us whatsoever.

Several people have told me he will edit out the name "OKCTalk" if contained in a question posed during these chats.

At the same time, when he or any other journalist writes a story of interest, the link gets posted here with full credit at every turn.

The issues between Oklahoman / Lackmeyer and OKCTalk are not merely a 'feud' or a 'misunderstanding' as they would like to characterize things. It is the stealing of our content and the deliberate, outrageously unethical behavior exclusively on their part. This, coupled with scores and scores of comments in social media with the direct intent to discredit this site.

It's nothing but taking advantage of their inherited bully pulpit and my own strong sense of ethics which prohibits me from retaliating in kind.

It's an obvious copy and paste. He doesn't even give his actual thoughts as the guest requested.

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    It's an obvious copy and paste. He doesn't even give his actual thoughts as the guest requested.
    Which is ironic given that his writing is typically heavy on opinion.

So what else is new, Pete? There's a C&W song about "An Old Family Tradition" that's quite applicable here. In 1958 my city editor, the late Chan Guffey, told me in so many words 'It's not news until we print it." More than 100 years ago a failed chamber of commerce administrator moved here from Colorado Springs, bought into a struggling new newspaper, and built it into an empire. The second generation of his heirs sold off most of it to an out-of-state promoter who proceeded to downsize things. But the Old Family Tradition remains, even though the print editions are now less than 1/8 as many pages as they were some 50 years ago. The more things change, the more they remain the same. Fortunately, technology has given us other information sources, that may or may not prove to be more reliable in the long run. It all depends on individuals like yourself; keep up the good work!

12. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is the length that Steve Lackmeyer often goes to in order to avoid providing one shred of credit to this site, and how he directly lifts info from OKCTalk without attribution.

This question was asked based on our exclusive story on this new bar just yesterday. Nothing on this had previously been reported. If Lackmeyer knew all this before yesterday where was his story?

Rather than saying "OKCTalk reported" he goes way out of his way to avoid any reference to us whatsoever.

Several people have told me he will edit out the name "OKCTalk" if contained in a question posed during these chats.

At the same time, when he or any other journalist writes a story of interest, the link gets posted here with full credit at every turn.

The issues between Oklahoman / Lackmeyer and OKCTalk are not merely a 'feud' or a 'misunderstanding' as they would like to characterize things. It is the stealing of our content and the deliberate, outrageously unethical behavior exclusively on their part. This, coupled with scores and scores of comments in social media with the direct intent to discredit this site.

It's nothing but taking advantage of their inherited bully pulpit and my own strong sense of ethics which prohibits me from retaliating in kind.
    #Sad

#FakeNews?

The Oklahoman has hired yet another retail reporter.

In just the last few years they have hired Brianna Bailey from the Journal Record (subsequently moved her off the retail beat), re-hired Jack Money to cover Brianna's previous responsibilities and just last this month hired David Dishman who has the title of 'retail reporter'.

That is 3 new business writers all to cover this subject, and of course on Dishman's 3rd article for the paper, he merely picked up the OKCTalk article on 9000 Broadway and did a quick matching story, 'confirming' while not mentioning what is being confirmed (our report): http://newsok.com/developer-confirms...rticle/5575706

15. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Oklahoman has hired yet another retail reporter.

In just the last few years they have hired Brianna Bailey from the Journal Record (subsequently moved her off the retail beat), re-hired Jack Money to cover Brianna's previous responsibilities and just last this month hired David Dishman who has the title of 'retail reporter'.

That is 3 new business writers all to cover this subject, and of course on Dishman's 3rd article for the paper, he merely picked up the OKCTalk article on 9000 Broadway and did a quick matching story, 'confirming' while not mentioning what is being confirmed (our report): http://newsok.com/developer-confirms...rticle/5575706

If you really want to be sad, check out the Oklahoman's 'retail chat' sometime. Many questions are about stuff confirmed here on OKCTalk months ago, and the Oklahoman's response is almost always something to the effect of 'thanks for the tip, we'll have to look into that' or 'interesting, we haven't heard about that'. Lol.

Be nice if they hired an actual investigative reporter to do some actual journalism, but I suspect those times are long past for this cage liner of a paper.

Three retail writers seems completely unnecessary. Especially when they can/do rip off stories from here or the Journal Record a day later. Hire another capital reporter for goodness sake.

Also, not sure why Hogan is announcing Flix as part of this development when he doesnt have a signed deal yet.

19. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Even though your ethics prevent you from retaliating, I hope you are protecting yourself by recording each incident that you see happen. You may practice ethical business but they may not. You may find yourself and OKCTALK being attacked by them and in need of proof you had the info first. Perhaps occasional use of a name, $ amount or date that is intentionally incorrect or some other method to sting them?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Even though your ethics prevent you from retaliating, I hope you are protecting yourself by recording each incident that you see happen. You may practice ethical business but they may not. You may find yourself and OKCTALK being attacked by them and in need of proof you had the info first. Perhaps occasional use of a name, $ amount or date that is intentionally incorrect or some other method to sting them?
    I document EVERYTHING and have been doing so for years.

Let's be honest about OPUBCO. You know things are bad when they use those click bait (Top Five Whatevers) articles in order to get page views for their advertisers. 'News'OK is their name and I find its "News" to be increasingly irrelevant in terms of timing and substance. In my circle of educated and business professional peers, I honestly can't remember the last time I heard someone refer to something they had read or learned on NewsOK. However, OKCTalk is mentioned regularly.

Note, too, that they currently advertise their subscription price at less than $2/week although I pay more than $20/month for it -- specifically to maintain my access to their archives. I do note that they do NOT claim that low rate is for printed copies, or home delivery! Wondering if they still belong to the ABC?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Note, too, that they currently advertise their subscription price at less than $2/week although I pay more than $20/month for it -- specifically to maintain my access to their archives. I do note that they do NOT claim that low rate is for printed copies, or home delivery! Wondering if they still belong to the ABC?
    If you're talking about the digital archives, you can get them for free using your library card. I believe it's under Research from their home page, then Oklahoma Newspapers. Their system isn't responding right now, but I think all you do then is log on using your library card number and last name and you've got access.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    If you're talking about the digital archives, you can get them for free using your library card.
    I've used this approach in the past, but there seems to be a second set of archives that's more complete but accessible only to subscribers, with a more configurable set of search rules. It's worth the cost to me. My point was to question the ethics of advertising a price of $1.54/week without telling folk just what that would buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    ... My point was to question the ethics of advertising a price of $1.54/week without telling folk just what that would buy them.
    Gotcha. Yep, those ethics are questionable, along with a lot of what they do.

Thread Information