Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mount Saint Mary

Default Re: Mount Saint Mary

The expansion at St. Mary's is almost complete:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The expansion at St. Mary's is almost complete:

It opened last Thursday. My daughter has given it rave reviews!

This school is such a gem:

The expansion turned out nice. I have been to several kid events there and was impressed with how they blended in the old with the new. I will have to get pics next time I am there but where they attached to the old building...they left parts exposed so your could see the original details.

There is a new article concerning the school on KFOR's website.

https://kfor.com/news/local/lawsuit-...-rape-culture/

Does anyone have mlre information about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    There is a new article concerning the school on KFOR's website.

https://kfor.com/news/local/lawsuit-...-rape-culture/

Does anyone have mlre information about this?
    MSM recently hired the current principal of St. Elizabeth's in Edmond. From what I understand, she is a no BS type that will get the Mount back on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    MSM recently hired the current principal of St. Elizabeth's in Edmond. From what I understand, she is a no BS type that will get the Mount back on the right track.
    Good news. Hopefully their liability insurance is significant.

MSM hiding sexual harassments, now a story of Southern Baptist leaders hiding years of sexual harassments and assaults, obviously Catholic church has similar history. What is it about churches always protecting terrible men?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    MSM hiding sexual harassments, now a story of Southern Baptist leaders hiding years of sexual harassments and assaults, obviously Catholic church has similar history. What is it about churches always protecting terrible men?
    It's not exclusive to churches.

^

It's not exclusive to churches but the reasons this has happened in the past are 1) the ostensible infallible nature of church leaders and therefore little to no oversight; 2) too much power in the hands of too few; and 3) the self-righteousness of the people involved (which is often used as a cloak for despicable acts and to deflect any accusations or hint of impropriety). It's also why there are so many financial scandals involving organized religion.

The sexual abuse issue has directly impacted multiple generations in my own family and went on for decades and on a larger scale, centuries. You literally can't imagine the forever impact on lives.

"The surest sign of personal corruption is conspicuous virtue." ~ me

^

It's not exclusive to churches but the reasons this has happened in the past are 1) the ostensible infallible nature of church leaders and therefore little to no oversight; 2) too much power in the hands of too few; and 3) the self-righteousness of the people involved (which is often used as a cloak for despicable acts and to deflect any accusations or hint of impropriety). It's also why there are so many financial scandals involving organized religion.

The sexual abuse issue has directly impacted multiple generations in my own family and went on for decades and on a larger scale, centuries. You literally can't imagine the forever impact on lives.

Not to mention the cycle it creates where many sexual abusers were abused themselves as kids. Not that it excuses it, nothing does, but it’s important to see the long term ramifications that extend beyond’s ones own life.

Blog Entries

^

The tenet of infallibility is not about the human frailties, but is regarding the Pope’s decrees on articles of faith. If others assume the mantle of infallibility it is of their own human making and like other human arrogance in any other position… like politics, or online posting……

^

Sexual abuse transcends a particular faith, however.

Tons of incidences in the Mormon church, Baptists, etc.

Not even unique to religion in general. Sadly any human institution with power hierarchies are fertile ground for predators. One need only look at colleges, police departments, Hollywood and countless other secular institutions to see this play out. It's a sad reflection on human nature and how we comport ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    It's not exclusive to churches.
    Sure, but I expect more out of a church than the Harvey Weinsteins or Larry Nassers of the world.

Sure, but I expect more out of a church than the Harvey Weinsteins or Larry Nassers of the world.
    You should expect more out of everyone.

Anywhere you have organized religion, you are going to be looking at a pedophile predator's best hunting ground. First, you have a collection of like-minded folks who are conditioned to believe faith leaders are trustworthy. You also have folks who are conditioned to believe that seemingly ridiculous things are true, e.g., God's destruction of "evil" cities and his transformation of Lot's wife into a pillar of salt for not heeding the angel's warning, that the walls of Jericho were wrecked by some musical instruments, that a lady who took a bite out of an apple in the middle of a garden after being goaded by a snake into doing so is the source of all sin, that a small group of people gathered two of every animal in the entire world and floated around on a barge for 40 days and nights after the entire world was flooded, etc. If you'll believe those things, especially if you're a child, you're also going to believe Pastor Keith when he tells you touching you down there is what God wants. Children should be protected from religion. I say this having learned a few years back that the priest at my childhood church was a predator who they simply shifted to a small town church, and when they couldn't cover it up anymore, they moved him to some sort of hospice clergy position. He never perped on me as he never had the opportunity. And that said, as a kid, I thought he was a terrific person and looking back, I had 100% faith that he was a good guy, and I really did want to be an altar boy.

Religion and religiosity are powerful tools of oppression and manipulation in the wrong hands. Grifters and pedophiles have been taking advantage of it for all of recorded history. I do want to introduce my kid to religion, but I want her to approach it with healthy skepticism and to approach religious figures as human beings who you cannot ever completely trust.

With regard to the MSM issue, I attended Catholic Schools, and I doubt much has changed. When I was at McGuinness, the faculty became aware that the "Men's Club," a stupid organization every male student was pressured to join. I sat out. I believe I was the only person in my class to sit out. As part of the initiation into this group, freshman male students were subjected to sexual abuse and humiliation by older students. Once the faculty became aware this had happened, the organization was officially shut down. I don't think anyone single person was disciplined, or if they were, it was handled discretely enough that I never became aware of anyone being disciplined.

Image is everything to these institutions. They appear to be beyond reproach and moral because they do a good job at covering up all of the immorality that goes on. That said, I won't sit here and completely bad mouth that institution as I know it provides a decent education these days. I haven't darkened the door of that school in over 20 years. They have excellent athletics these days and are a great place for upper middle class kids to network.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Anywhere you have organized religion, you are going to be looking at a pedophile predator's best hunting ground. First, you have a collection of like-minded folks who are conditioned to believe faith leaders are trustworthy. You also have folks who are conditioned to believe that seemingly ridiculous things are true, e.g., God's destruction of "evil" cities and his transformation of Lot's wife into a pillar of salt for not heeding the angel's warning, that the walls of Jericho were wrecked by some musical instruments, that a lady who took a bite out of an apple in the middle of a garden after being goaded by a snake into doing so is the source of all sin, that a small group of people gathered two of every animal in the entire world and floated around on a barge for 40 days and nights after the entire world was flooded, etc. If you'll believe those things, especially if you're a child, you're also going to believe Pastor Keith when he tells you touching you down there is what God wants. Children should be protected from religion. I say this having learned a few years back that the priest at my childhood church was a predator who they simply shifted to a small town church, and when they couldn't cover it up anymore, they moved him to some sort of hospice clergy position. He never perped on me as he never had the opportunity. And that said, as a kid, I thought he was a terrific person and looking back, I had 100% faith that he was a good guy, and I really did want to be an altar boy.

Religion and religiosity are powerful tools of oppression and manipulation in the wrong hands. Grifters and pedophiles have been taking advantage of it for all of recorded history. I do want to introduce my kid to religion, but I want her to approach it with healthy skepticism and to approach religious figures as human beings who you cannot ever completely trust.

With regard to the MSM issue, I attended Catholic Schools, and I doubt much has changed. When I was at McGuinness, the faculty became aware that the "Men's Club," a stupid organization every male student was pressured to join. I sat out. I believe I was the only person in my class to sit out. As part of the initiation into this group, freshman male students were subjected to sexual abuse and humiliation by older students. Once the faculty became aware this had happened, the organization was officially shut down. I don't think anyone single person was disciplined, or if they were, it was handled discretely enough that I never became aware of anyone being disciplined.

Image is everything to these institutions. They appear to be beyond reproach and moral because they do a good job at covering up all of the immorality that goes on. That said, I won't sit here and completely bad mouth that institution as I know it provides a decent education these days. I haven't darkened the door of that school in over 20 years. They have excellent athletics these days and are a great place for upper middle class kids to network.
    The Men's Club had been doing that crap since its inception, back when I was a student there. It was always a very stupid thing. The degradation of the freshman girls in Pep Club was also terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    The Men's Club had been doing that crap since its inception, back when I was a student there. It was always a very stupid thing.
    I couldn't believe at the time that I was the only student to opt out of the hazing. All you had to do was just decline to participate. Nothing happened.

The degradation of the freshman girls in Pep Club was also terrible.
    Agree with that as well. I think all of their hazing happened on campus. I can conform though, the hazing was entirely an opt-in situation and everybody but me opted in. Applying today's hazing statutes to what happened back then, by today's standards, crimes happened.

I couldn't believe at the time that I was the only student to opt out of the hazing. All you had to do was just decline to participate. Nothing happened.
    Yeah it must have been formed my sophomore or junior year. I didn't get the opportunity to be hazed, though I did participate in the club as an upperclassmen, so, strictly speaking, I was part of the problem. The whole hazing thing has never been something I've understood. A kid is supposed to sit there and take all of this abuse (mental/physical) to prove they are worthy of your group/frat/whatever? It's never made sense to me.

It began in the fall of 1989.

Midtowner, I'm curious what year it ended?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    It began in the fall of 1989.

Midtowner, I'm curious what year it ended?
    Sounds right. I was a sophomore.

'95-96 was the year it shut down. I don't know whether that was permanent. It could be functioning today for all I know.

'95-96 was the year it shut down. I don't know whether that was permanent. It could be functioning today for all I know.
    When I was there from '03-'07 it was not a thing, but there was a similar "Gentlemen's Club" that a group attempted to start which sounds like a quasi-resurrection of the Men's Club. While the faculty allowed it, it never caught much traction / reached the level mentioned above. However, paddling freshman was definitely something that still happened.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    When I was there from '03-'07 it was not a thing, but there was a similar "Gentlemen's Club" that a group attempted to start which sounds like a quasi-resurrection of the Men's Club. While the faculty allowed it, it never caught much traction / reached the level mentioned above. However, paddling freshman was definitely something that still happened.
    Ugh. Gentlemen's Club sounds even worse. I'm curious who the faculty sponsor would have been.

Thread Information