Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    OTA is having a meeting Tuesday, 23 Feb at Mustang Town Center Great Room from 6-8pm. I am guessing this is for the Southwest Extension. I received the notification from the Mustang Chamber of Commerce via email. I have not yet seen any notice of this meeting from OTA's website.
    Thanks for posting that. I am excited to hear about the possible selected alternatives.

2. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

I just wish they'd release the plan. I'm dead nuts in the middle of the proposed route.

I'm pretty sure that they won't be knocking down my house (cheaper to buy land 1/2 mile away than spend a few million on my neighborhood), but it'll still affect me quite a bit I'm sure.

And I'm going to lose neighbors :/

Progress, eh?

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

I for one am excited to see this get done as it will cut a good 10 minuets or more off of my commute to church and school. It hopefully will bring some retail and restaraunts to an area that doesn't have a ton. There is quite a bit in Yukon but it will be interesting to see the route they take with this and what it brings with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    They need to completely rebuild the Broadway Ext. Kilpatrick interchange from the ground up building a 5 stack(for future HOV lanes) and one way service roads that go through the interchange as well.
    Not enough room to fit that one in. Between the car dealers on he NE quadrant to the BNSF on the west to the Acme Brick pit, it just isn't feasible today. Yes, they should have done it when it was originally built 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Not enough room to fit that one in. Between the car dealers on he NE quadrant to the BNSF on the west to the Acme Brick pit, it just isn't feasible today. Yes, they should have done it when it was originally built 20 years ago.
    With todays engineering, I'm sure they could find a way. There are also ways to build narrow service roads under the elevator ramps for flyovers if needed(it's more money but it can be done).

Dallas has plenty of high profile junctions with used car lots almost underneath the interchanges so it could work if they wanted it to. According to the cheap standards ODOT and OTA subjects itself to, I'd say it won't happen anytime soon.

If there isn't room to make it a full HOV interchange, that is fine. But look at how compact the 101/110 interchange is. . . we have way more room and possible ROW so I know they can do a four flyovers.

Blog Entries

IIRC, just to create an HOV lane, it takes 2-3 lanes to configure; then, there's the personnel needed to monitor those lanes and remove those concrete block barriers daily to adjust to the traffic flow needs used to make the process work for the rush hour--not to mention what happens if someone's vehicle stalled in that lane. The traffic concerns in Dallas is an example of interchange constipation.

Just don't see an immediate need for an HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane in OKC or Tulsa for that matter. Our traffic doesn't mimic the congestion in a mega market like Dallas' I-635 or I-30--where they have traffic concerns throughout a typical Saturday with mammoth congestion throughout the week. Oklahoma City does need to complete a loop around it for future growth and build more of a spoke wheel interchange into its core.

When I lived in DFW Metroplex, the traffic (I-635, I-820, I-35, I-30, I-20) has always been a nightmare. The gasoline exhausted navigating thru traffic was a driveability challenge in more ways than one. Those gas guzzlers were often times seen straddled on the shoulders of the interstates.

There were conversations about this in OKC long before they moved I-40 crosstown 4 blocks south with emphasis on the interchanges that would affect the connectivity of the Amarillo, Dallas & Fort Smith junctions.

The only expressway where we could do that effectively would be the new I-40 crosstown--just don't see the need.

Some background links:

40 Forward: Oklahoma's I-40 Crosstown Expressway

Historic I-40 Crosstown | Abandoned Oklahoma

High Priority Corridors @ AARoads: Interstates 29 and 35 (Corridor 23)

7. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    IIRC, just to create an HOV lane, it takes 2-3 lanes to configure; then, there's the personnel needed to monitor those lanes and remove those concrete block barriers daily to adjust to the traffic flow needs used to make the process work for the rush hour--not to mention what happens if someone's vehicle stalled in that lane. The traffic concerns in Dallas is an example of interchange constipation.
    You're thinking of reversible express lanes. None of that is necessary for HOV lanes; they're just an extra lane that is restricted to cars with 2+ passengers. The only extra personnel needed is for law enforcement to pull over solo drivers in the HOV lane. The HOV lane always travels in the same direction so there is no need to move barriers.

You might also be thinking of HOT (high-occupancy toll) lanes. This is a HOV lane that also has toll-collection facilities, so that those who would not otherwise be allowed in the lane can access it by paying a toll. Usually this is done with something like Pikepass so the only extra personnel are people handling the billing (which in Oklahoma's case would be someone already at OTA).

Not that OKC is at a point in its growth that we need HOV lanes yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    wrong. I'm not talking about the overly complex single reverse HOV lanes that you see in Dallas. I am talking about regular HOV lanes on each side of the highway. In a lot of cases for the short term, they don't even require a lane to be removed, you can re-stripe the left shoulder to make an HOV lane. That's it. No new personal needed either. Implement a new law regarding the HOV lanes and have the current police officers enforce it. Simple.

Let me make this clear as well, I am not talking about going crazy with HOV lanes around OKC. The first HOV lanes and the only ones I want to see for awhile would be on I-35 south to Norman. Outside of rush hour, it would become a regular lane.

wrong. I'm not talking about the overly complex single reverse HOV lanes that you see in Dallas. I am talking about regular HOV lanes on each side of the highway. In a lot of cases for the short term, they don't even require a lane to be removed, you can re-stripe the left shoulder to make an HOV lane. That's it. No new personal needed either. Implement a new law regarding the HOV lanes and have the current police officers enforce it. Simple.

Let me make this clear as well, I am talking about going crazy with HOV lanes around OKC. The first HOV lanes and the only ones I want to see for awhile would be on I-35 south to Norman. Outside of rush hour, it would become a regular lane.
    Correct. Here is the HOV lane on I-5 in Portland.

It is only restricted to 2+ occupants Monday thru Friday 3pm-6pm

I think the southbound lane to downtown is M-F 5-8am.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Correct. Here is the HOV lane on I-5 in Portland.

It is only restricted to 2+ occupants Monday thru Friday 3pm-6pm

I think the southbound lane to downtown is M-F 5-8am.
    Okay, Thanks catch22--I get it...

Couldn't erase the memories of Driving I-30 (HOV) from Fort Worth to exit onto Dallas Ferguson Road.

With todays engineering, I'm sure they could find a way. There are also ways to build narrow service roads under the elevator ramps for flyovers if needed(it's more money but it can be done).
    I believe you may be right:
    http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...esentation.pdf

Now if we can come up with the $500 million+........

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    I believe you may be right:
    http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...esentation.pdf

Now if we can come up with the $500 million+........
    lol... hell though, if any interchange deserves to have 500 mill spent on it, it's the I44/I40 near the fairgrounds. Even with the left hand exits, I don't think it was a horrible interchange for its day, but it really needs to go now.

But I don't think the 500 million is for the interchange only. *EDIT* I just now noticed the 500 million is for the interchange only. Wasn't the High Five in Dallas built for just shy of 250 mill? Have construction and material cost gone up that much?

I am intrigued by the continuous flow intersection. This is the first I've heard of them. I'm curious if they work well or not.

13. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

But I don't think the 500 million is for the interchange only. *EDIT* I just now noticed the 500 million is for the interchange only. Wasn't the High Five in Dallas built for just shy of 250 mill? Have construction and material cost gone up that much?
    Yes, construction costs have gone up, far above inflation rates. The overall costs of building infrastructure have gone up too, since it can be expected that pretty much any large project will run into some sort of legal challenge by either environmentalists or someone who lives nearby and just doesn't like the project, so the engineers have to be extremely careful to design things in such a way as to withstand such challenges. In terms of the environment, you can do mitigation (for every X trees cut down you plant X+Y trees), and to ward off unhappy locals you can do beautification efforts (designs on bridges, landscaping, etc.).

lol... hell though, if any interchange deserves to have 500 mill spent on it, it's the I44/I40 near the fairgrounds. Even with the left hand exits, I don't think it was a horrible interchange for its day, but it really needs to go now.

I am intrigued by the continuous flow intersection. This is the first I've heard of them. I'm curious if they work well or not.
    A few years back my friend bid on a $1B interchange in the DFW area. Although it was going to include a couple of "iconic" bridges. I can't recall which interchange it was right now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    A few years back my friend bid on a $1B interchange in the DFW area. Although it was going to include a couple of "iconic" bridges. I can't recall which interchange it was right now, though.
    Perhaps you're thinking of the Horse Shoe Project near Downtown Dallas. That is the only thing I could think of related to iconic bridges. They have the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge which has been completed and is beautiful and they are building another massive one connect to 12+ lane highway that is going to be incredible once completed. I'm so excited I'll probably make it a point to drive there once the whole thing is finished.

This was originally supposed to be part of a massive project called Project Pegasus(Project Pegasus Web Site) but was recently scaled down due to high costs and some opposition however I believe the opposition has fizzled off and Texas is proposing a new billion plus dollar congestion relief program which might bring back the original intent of Project Pegasus. Hopefully it happens.

Just a reminder - the meeting for the Eastern County Turnpike is scheduled for Thursday.

OTA Eastern Oklahoma County Public Meeting
    Thursday, February 18, 2016
    6 to 8 p.m.
    Eastern Oklahoma County Technology Center
    Seminar Center
    4601 N. Choctaw Road
    Choctaw

- Driving Forward OK

Just a reminder - the meeting for the Eastern County Turnpike is scheduled for Thursday.
    I drove around Jones this weekend and saw a ton of signs against the turnpike. I also can't believe they think that area has more important infrastructure needs than the South I-35 area.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I drove around Jones this weekend and saw a ton of signs against the turnpike. I also can't believe they think that area has more important infrastructure needs than the South I-35 area.
    I think this highway should be built. It could serve as a great asset for Tinker and Eastern Oklahoma County and help grow the aerospace sector even more.

I don't want to sound snobby or elitist, but Eastern Oklahoma County has a lot to improve on. I don't understand how new infrastructure can be a bad thing. I don't have much sympathy for people out there due to the fact they are less than 30 miles from the core of a large metro area. New highways and roads will bring jobs, growth, and new money for Oklahoma City. The best thing about this is it won't cost tax payers a dime.

Any new utility costs will be associated with new businesses and housing that will result from this. The spraw that might result from this will only contribute to more infill closer to the core as developers take note of the growing metro.

I do agree that the southwest has huge infrastructure needs and a loop around Norman would be great as well as creating a true beltway for Oklahoma City. What I want to see is ROW preserved because I think there is going to be need for new spur between I-35 and I-44 someday between I240 and Canadian River. The way to do this is how Texas does it. Build a four lane parkway with a giant ass median and when the time calls for it, turn it into a highway with service roads.

Overall, I do agree that there are big infrastructure needs for the southwest and the south metro in general, but I do also agree that the Eastern Turnpike was needed. It was noted for years that this was under consideration. No one wants their house torn down for a rail or highway project, but I am willing to bet this has traffic counts north of 15,000 within the first 3-5 years it is open. Eventually it will be a vital asset for Eastern Oklahoma County and the surrounding communities that will ultimately benefit by having this tollway to allow for easier commute by car from the suburbs to downtown OKC.

This will help the metro over all, imo.

An interesting comment at the recent meeting in Choctaw.

Oklahoma transportation secretary admits agency missteps in turnpike plan near Choctaw | NewsOK.com

After publicly apologizing once the meeting began, Ridley wasted little time telling the crowd that a new turnpike is coming to the area — one way or the other — because the Oklahoma City metro area desperately needs another north-south thoroughfare to ease the traffic load of Interstate 35. He said traffic accidents and fatalities in other parts of the metro area will decrease when, not if, the so-called Northeast Oklahoma County Loop is constructed.
    In other words your best option is to give us input about how this is done, not if it is done.

Great way to begin to assuage peoples fears/comcerns, We screwed up, apologize, need your help. Move forward with this needed highway

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    An interesting comment at the recent meeting in Choctaw.

Oklahoma transportation secretary admits agency missteps in turnpike plan near Choctaw | NewsOK.com

In other words your best option is to give us input about how this is done, not if it is done.
    This is so much of the problem in my eyes. Gary Ridley is an idiot. Because he says we need the loop, we're going to get the loop? I've said this before, but there are so many other things that would actually be useful for the turnpike system, but we don't see any of that happening. Just needless expansion out in the boonies. It's just idiocy.

22. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

I think just by the number of people that showed up and were turned away, this should prove that most people think this part of the expansion plans is 100% unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    This is so much of the problem in my eyes. Gary Ridley is an idiot. Because he says we need the loop, we're going to get the loop? I've said this before, but there are so many other things that would actually be useful for the turnpike system, but we don't see any of that happening. Just needless expansion out in the boonies. It's just idiocy.
    I actually had a chance to speak with Ridley at an unrelated event yesterday, and to just call people an idiot because you don't agree with the facts they've presented is short sighted, but hey, internet so do what you want right?

What do you see as needed for OTA? Do you understand why this route was proposed? Just the slightest bit of relief for the Dallas/Ft Smith Junction that would come from this expansion would be worth it because that's not getting any better.

Of all the proposals though, the one for the Will Rogers from the Creek TP exist to Bristow is nice, it's basically going to be a copy of what the new Kilpatrick section is like now for that 26 or so miles.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I think just by the number of people that showed up and were turned away, this should prove that most people think this part of the expansion plans is 100% unnecessary.
    No they just don't want a new turnpike through their land, and that's their right and I don't necessarily blame them. Not sure how I'd feel if I lived out there.

25. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Ok. Let's build it then. Save me ten minutes on my drive from dfw to tulsa.

Thread Information