Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valir

SoSA Valir

Valir Health is set to perform a major renovation and expansion of its health care facility at NW 6th and Lee in Midtown.

The company bought the block bounded by NW 6th and 7th and Shartel and Lee in 2004, including a four story 81-bed facility. Rapid growth has led to several improvements.

Founded in 2000, Valir offers long-term care, such as rehabilitation after surgery or illness as well as hospice.

Additions will be made to the north and south sides of the main building, with significant upgrades to the entire facade. The existing green metal mansard roof will be removed in favor of a more updated look.

The $3 million project is set to be reviewed by the Downtown Design Review Committee on November 19th and is yet another big investment in the west Midtown / SoSA area. Design is by Rees Associates.

Just last week plans were submitted for a complete reworking of Red Andrews Park immediately north of Valir.

Default Re: Valir

Huge improvement. Didn't understand their project five years ago..

Yes, this will be a huge improvement especially for me, as I look out on this property from my place at SoSA Heights.

Valir seems to really be blowing and going. They own several other adjacent properties as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Huge improvement. Didn't understand their project five years ago..
    I didn't live here 5 years ago. Can you tell me, did they build that place that recently? Did they build it themselves? I've always figured they had retrofitted a Super 8 motel or something similar.

I'm not sure to what Spartan is referring.

Valir bought the two buildings on that block in 2004 and they looked pretty much then like they do now.

Previously, the facilities were owned by another healthcare provider; the larger structure having been built in 1970, the smaller in 1993.

They both had that awful green roof when purchased. This is the second building:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, this will be a huge improvement especially for me, as I look out on this property from my place at SoSA Heights.
    So am I to understand that you live here now? How did I miss that?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    So am I to understand that you live here now? How did I miss that?
    Haha... I posted something in the Announcement forum.

I am in the process of moving back. Have already partially moved into SoSA Heights and will be moving permanently at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    I didn't live here 5 years ago. Can you tell me, did they build that place that recently? Did they build it themselves? I've always figured they had retrofitted a Super 8 motel or something similar.
    I think he might be referring to a proposal they made to open a new facility at 10th & Hudson where St. Anthony's staging area is currently (Across from Fassler/Dustbowl). Glad they chose to stick with their current site.

A friend of mine went through some major, major physical rehab at Valir a few years ago. Great people and a great facility, but no doubt it is ugly as sin. It always looked like a semi-rundown failed hotel to me...this should be quite an improvement.

Haha... I posted something in the Announcement forum.

I am in the process of moving back. Have already partially moved into SoSA Heights and will be moving permanently at the end of the month.
    Cool dealio.

From today; this is the north side facing Andrews Park (and no, that redo hasn't started yet):

From today 10/10/16

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161010_125216.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	5.95 MB 
ID:	13146

HangryHippo Guest

Pete - do you know if work is still going to progress on the rest of the Valir building?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Pete - do you know if work is still going to progress on the rest of the Valir building?
    I believe so, just in phases.

Do you have reason to believe it won't?

HangryHippo Guest

I believe so, just in phases.

Do you have reason to believe it won't?
    No, was just curious if it was still the plan as far as you knew. Thanks for the reply!

They have finished the expansion to the north and opened that section up but seem to be taking a beat before completely re-skinning the entire outside.

However, the construction trailer is still on site.

I hope they are just painting this as an interim step but fear they have shelved the full renovation they had planned, as after the new north entrance they haven't done anything for quite a while.

Any news on this? It looks to me like they are abandoning the rest of the proposed remodel (flat roof; south side entrance, etc).

Thread Information