Widgets Magazine

Thread: New signs on I-40

Default New signs on I-40

Rockwell ROAD? Seriously?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	1,003.2 KB 
ID:	11434

Not to mention the redundant Morgan Road signs.

Default Re: New signs on I-40

I am sure the redundant sign will be removed now that this one is in place.
    I don't see a problem with Rockwell Rd.. that is what it is.

It's Rockwell Avenue.

It was West Avenue when I was a kid (pre-Lantana days).

I've noticed that the new poles going up around the area are curved rather than a 90 degree angle. Norman has all curved poles around on the highway. Is this a new trend?

I see these type of poles across Western States but so much here.

6. Default Re: New signs on I-40

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    I've noticed that the new poles going up around the area are curved rather than a 90 degree angle. Norman has all curved poles around on the highway. Is this a new trend?

I see these type of poles across Western States but so much here.
    The curved pipes are the new standard used nationwide.

Wow that's terrible they got the wrong name of the road. I wonder if they even noticed or intentionally didn't do anything about it. Either way it makes us look like a bunch of amateurs.

Speaking of signage, I noticed a few days ago on NB 235 one of the signs to exit to Lincoln say "State Capital" when it should say "capitol".

Also, another new sign on NB 235 says "Sante Fe" instead of "Santa Fe".

Blog Entries

Then there's that one that says "Oklahoma City Boulevard"... oh... wait...

11. Default Re: New signs on I-40

This is the same batch that had a sign for "kilpatricK Tpke" (the K's got switched somehow). That's been fixed already. Typical ODOT sloppiness.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    The curved pipes are the new standard used nationwide.
    They are not actually a standard, or at least not one required by the feds. Every state has its own design of gantry in use (it's kind of fun to compare them if you are really bored and on a long trip). Quite a few of them use the monotube type, but not all. Kansas and Missouri are still using truss gantries. As far as I know there are no real benefits to one or the other, other than aesthetics.

Strangely, Oklahoma isn't even fully going to the monotubes as a standard. When the signs for the I-35 Canadian River Bridge widening were put up, the signs in Cleveland County were monotubes and the one new sign installed in McClain County was a traditional truss type. Which makes me think that ODOT is only using them for certain (urban) counties. They've popped up in Tulsa too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    This is the same batch that had a sign for "kilpatricK Tpke" (the K's got switched somehow). That's been fixed already. Typical ODOT sloppiness.

They are not actually a standard, or at least not one required by the feds. Every state has its own design of gantry in use (it's kind of fun to compare them if you are really bored and on a long trip). Quite a few of them use the monotube type, but not all. Kansas and Missouri are still using truss gantries. As far as I know there are no real benefits to one or the other, other than aesthetics.

Strangely, Oklahoma isn't even fully going to the monotubes as a standard. When the signs for the I-35 Canadian River Bridge widening were put up, the signs in Cleveland County were monotubes and the one new sign installed in McClain County was a traditional truss type. Which makes me think that ODOT is only using them for certain (urban) counties. They've popped up in Tulsa too.
    With them replacing what seems like all the truss types on i40 in the metro, it would not be shocking if they are redeploying any of the removed moduels that have some usable life left in other locations

May try to write in to ODOT about these. I wrote in once asking why there was no "Lane Ends" sign on 235 NB at 36th and the guy wrote me back and agreed there should be one and now there is. I only wish they had one a mile back.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    May try to write in to ODOT about these. I wrote in once asking why there was no "Lane Ends" sign on 235 NB at 36th and the guy wrote me back and agreed there should be one and now there is. I only wish they had one a mile back.
    It may be harder to get them to invest in multiple lane ends signs right now, since they are going to be expanding that section a lane on both directions over the next few years, in fed budget year 2016 (baring scheduling delays) construction signs will be taking precedent over fixed ones anyway.

15. Default Re: New signs on I-40

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    With them replacing what seems like all the truss types on i40 in the metro, it would not be shocking if they are redeploying any of the removed moduels that have some usable life left in other locations
    It was definitely a new one. Shiny. After they've been up for a few years they fade to a darker gray color. I don't know what ODOT policy is, but I think it's common practice to not reuse such things out of safety concerns.

I don't think ODOT is simply replacing the trusses for the sake of replacing them. Overhead sign structures usually only get replaced when construction requires it (i.e. the highway is widened) or they are destroyed by a collision. The truss ones are particularly sturdy; there was one in the path of the 2013 Moore tornado and it took a direct hit just fine, although one of the signs attached to it was shredded pretty well. It will be interesting to see how the monotubes fare in a tornado, although this video from Canada makes me think that maybe they won't do so well (apologies for the quality, it seems like the original version was set to private for some reason):

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    I wrote to ODOT about a replacing a small sign that had been destroyed by a truck in 2006. Not only did they not ever respond to me, the sign is still missing to this day. YMMV though.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It may be harder to get them to invest in multiple lane ends signs right now, since they are going to be expanding that section a lane on both directions over the next few years, in fed budget year 2016 (baring scheduling delays) construction signs will be taking precedent over fixed ones anyway.
    Well this was several years ago that I wrote to them about that one. Just wish they were more consistent is all. I'd settle for them putting spikes on the road to flatten all the tires of the people who don't get over when they should

I suspect its a division choice, although I will note that Cleveland and McClain county are both in Div 3.

Drove by the sign last night and it has been changed to the correct name.

"State Capital" and "Sante Fe" have also been corrected on 235.

Morgan and I-40 is truck stop city. It takes awhile for rigs to work their way over if they are unfamiliar with that area. My wife used to work at a Hair Salon off of that intersection in the bad ole days. Now you can breeze through any direction with all the improvements.

21. Default Re: New signs on I-40

... although this video from Canada ...
    Tacoma Narrows anyone?

Thread Information