Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cummins Building

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Cummins Building

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    I agree. I'd rather see a 10 story project that is successful than a 20 story project that isn't. And for Bricktown, I'd honestly rather see 2 separate 10 story buildings than a single 20 story. This looks like a great building, with good design and quality materials. It uses up a previously (mostly) empty lot. This is exactly the sort of thing we should encourage for Bricktown. Yeah, more height is good and all, but not every building should be a huge landmark.

This is a big step up for OKC and its local developers. They're starting to think beyond the 4-5 story barrier. If this is financially successful, there's no reason it couldn't be duplicated on other sites.
    You nailed it, hoya. If this can be successful, developers may take note and duplicate on other prime sites.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    They're[developers] starting to think beyond the 4-5 story barrier.

That's because no one [has] wanted to pay for the code requirements of building past that.

3. Default Re: Cummins Building

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    That's because no one [has] wanted to pay for the code requirements of building past that.
    No, according to Pete's post on the 1st page a variance is needed to go high (I'm assuming it's a Bricktown restriction). And I can understand that, I'd like to see Bricktown keep its unique character. Not that I'm against this project, but I don't want to see a lot of mid-rises in BT.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    No, according to Pete's post on the 1st page a variance is needed to go high (I'm assuming it's a Bricktown restriction). And I can understand that, I'd like to see Bricktown keep its unique character. Not that I'm against this project, but I don't want to see a lot of mid-rises in BT.
    I don't know if Anonymous is correct, but paying for code requirements for a taller building and getting a variance are not the same thing.

Correct, I am not talking about variance for height. I am talking about building materials and construction costs for that many floors and the additional fire code requirements that must be met. It isn't cut and dry, taller is more expensive in every expense column.

6. Default Re: Cummins Building

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Correct, I am not talking about variance for height. I am talking about building materials and construction costs for that many floors and the additional fire code requirements that must be met. It isn't cut and dry, taller is more expensive in every expense column.
    I agree, but it is a combination of both. However, you can be willing to spend as much money as it takes, but if you can't get a variance you're not going to be able to build.

7. Default Re: Cummins Building

They'll easily get the variance at this height. I don't think it's quite as tall as the once-proposed Cotton Exchange, which gained one. When the architect presented the Cummins Building to BUDC recently for an information-only discussion, none of the committee members even brought up the topic of the height. Not sure if anything taller would sail through as easily though.

FWIW, most of the things that get expensive at a certain height are related to fire (egress and suppression), which is dictated by ladder height on fire trucks. Get above ladder height and your building gets quite a bit more pricey.

Also, just for the sake of discussion, height restrictions in Bricktown were originally tied to the height of the stadium lights at the ballpark. It always seemed arbitrary to me, but I don't think variances are hard to come by. That said, I think it's important to keep buildings from getting too out of scale with the character of the district, which is dictated by the preponderance of warehouses 4-5 stories and below.

HangryHippo Guest

Twitter (@dtokcbuilds) indicates the Bricktown Urban Design Committee approved the design concept for this project this morning. Don't have a clue what that means other than the project probably continues to move forward. I'm excited for this!

This may be my new favorite project for now. Really hope this one gets going.

I can't describe how much I believe this would add that "something" to the immediate area. It will also help Bricktown continue its natural growth towards a more diversified district. In fact, this single building kind of culminates everything: retail, office, restaurant/entertainment.

Plus the design is perfect for where this will be going.

HangryHippo Guest

I agree with you completely about this project adding "something" to the immediate area.

11. Default Re: Cummins Building

I second that!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

12. Default Re: Cummins Building

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    Twitter (@dtokcbuilds) indicates the Bricktown Urban Design Committee approved the design concept for this project this morning. Don't have a clue what that means other than the project probably continues to move forward. I'm excited for this!
    It means that it can move forward as is, though everyone agreed that there might be some TBD design elements at street level, depending on leases. The ground level was re-worked some to address previous BUDC comments regarding direct street entrances. The architect indicated that the timeline was tenant-driven and that they felt they were close to landing one or more.

Family foundation: Bricktown commission approves plans for building to honor Cummins
    By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record October 14, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – A small building in Bricktown will be replaced by a larger, more eye-catching structure.

Blackledge & Associates Architects Larry Blackledge and Chrisshell Ricard designed The Cummins Building, 202 E. Sheridan Ave. The 104,000-square-foot, 10-story building will have retail and office tenants. The Bricktown Urban Design Commission approved the plans during its Wednesday meeting, but the group expects to hear from the architects to discuss exterior details.

The building is named after Andy Cummins, whose son, Clark Cummins, and daughter, Andrea Cummins Malherbe, are overseeing the development. Blackledge went to Oklahoma State University with Andy Cummins, and the two were fraternity brothers.

“He was in school for no-nonsense,” Blackledge said during September’s Bricktown Urban Design Commission meeting. “It was a great thing for me because I went to party.”

Andy Cummins passed away in April, and his family’s trust will own the future building. The property has a one-story office structure that will be demolished before construction begins. The property is north of Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, at the intersection of E. Sheridan Avenue and N. Mickey Mantle Drive.

“The property is 177 feet wide and 140 feet long, and we’re going to use all of it,” Blackledge said at the September Bricktown design commission meeting.

Ricard said there is no timeline yet on construction because the Cummins family is recruiting tenants first. She said the project won’t break ground by year’s end. Andrea Cummins Malherbe said her husband, Chris Malherbe, is talking to retail tenants and they are interviewing office brokers.

The building’s first and ninth floors are expected to be used for retail tenants, with a restaurant on the ninth floor and 10th floor roof-lounge area. The other floors will have office users.
    “We’ve had a tremendous amount of interest in this project,” Blackledge said.

Newmark Grubb Levy Strange Beffort Office Broker Zach Martin said he thinks it won’t take long to fill the building with office occupants. The downtown office market is at 98-percent occupancy.

“There’s a lot of demand for space in downtown area,” he said. “We have really seen the last of the vacant office buildings fill up.”

Therefore, he said it only makes sense to construct new buildings.

Competing office projects include the OGE Energy Plaza and the 499 Sheridan Ave. project, which will house the Bank of Oklahoma and Devon Energy.

“If we are going to continue to grow – and we will – we’ll have to build new buildings,” Martin said. “I think it’s an outstanding site. I like the idea of people continue to do things in the core.”

During the September meeting, Bricktown commission member Jonathan Dodson suggested exterior doors into the retail spaces, and not just through the lobby. Otherwise, he was pleased with the project, which features a masonry and capstone exterior.

Ricard incorporated Dodson’s advice into the plans she presented during Thursday’s meeting. The first-floor retail spaces have entrances from the street, with a prominent glass storefront at the intersection. The commission asked questions about signage and other exterior additions. But those will be addressed when tenants have signed leases, said Lisa Chronister, principal planner in the city’s urban planning division.

“I’m very encouraged and excited about the project,” said Sandino Thompson, Bricktown committee chairman, during the September meeting.
    Andrea Cummins Malherbe said deals will be worked out with existing parking providers.

14. Default Re: Cummins Building

For those who still have questions about how real this project might be, please note that Chris Malherbe is this guy: Malherbe, Christopher , who in the past was a partner in theGrubb and Ellis affiliate in OKC with Mark Beffort and Gary Brooks (Grubb & Ellis Beffort Brooks Malherbe).

What's the status of this project?

16. Default Re: Cummins Building

Considering the fact that it received basic design approval only a little over a month ago, more than likely the project architect is now developing working drawings. Those drawings will have to be submitted to the City for permitting before ground is broken.

I would assume going through all of the paperwork and City processes, financing, etc. that we can expect groundbreaking late spring or summer 2016.

Update?

Update?? (yes I'm that guy..but very excited about this project!)

What is going on here?

I think they want to find tenants before they start.

22. Default Re: Cummins Building

I talked with Clark a few weeks ago, and they are still 100% committed to the project and working towards making it a reality. I think Pete's right that they want to associate one or more key tenants with the project first, which was an easier feat when the building was first announced; trickier in the current economy.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I talked with Clark a few weeks ago, and they are still 100% committed to the project and working towards making it a reality. I think Pete's right that they want to associate one or more key tenants with the project first, which was an easier feat when the building was first announced; trickier in the current economy.
    Great to hear they're still 100% committed. I really hope they're able to find the tenant they need/want.

Any news on tenants yet?

Is this still moving forward?

Thread Information