Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cummins Building

Default Re: Cummins Building

What a wonderful project for such a spot in BT, and it'll be taking up surface parking at that!

Here's to seeing this one come through. It'd be nice if this one gets started right away.

Any word if financing has been secured? It looks great, I hope it doesn't get scaled back!

Quote Originally Posted by bige4ou View Post
    I love everything about this! Would like to see buildings along this type go up around the new park too!
    I was going to say that exact same thing too!!!

4. Default Re: Cummins Building

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    ...I'm just hoping people wont gripe about demolishing the structure that's currently on it. I want to say I'm joking but I'm not.
    No disrespect, but if you honestly believe that is a possibility then you completely misunderstand the rationale and motivations behind those types of protests. If this development happens it would be similar to when Aloft replaced the Finley Building. Nobody protested or complained about that, nor would anyone do so here.

Also, for the record, Andrew Cummins passed away earlier this year and the property is now owned/managed by his son Clark.

Love it.

6. Default Re: Cummins Building

any idea how Clark feels about the development?

I think it is a slam dunk and has been already said - more of these are needed elsewhere on BTown parking lots! Perhaps the same design but with residential instead of office at other key intersections would really take Bricktown placemaking to the next level while bringing in more retail on bottom and prime restaurant with roof views on top!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

7. Default Re: Cummins Building

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    any idea how Clark feels about the development? ...
    There is no way that it is going before BUDC without him being fully on board; he owns the property. Would guess that he is a partner in the development, with the property being his equity. Last few times I have spoken with him he was very interested in developing or otherwise commercializing the property beyond surface parking, which his dad never seemed to be.

Blog Entries

Give that man an award. We need positive reinforcement for those willing to do such things instead of sit on financially lucrative parking lots.

I like it, and this is the kind of project that is good for Bricktown. Does anyone find the Cummins name on the west side slightly distracting because it's not centered? I think it's aligned with the main entry way, but it sort of sticks out like a red dot on Elaine's cashmere sweater.

Quote Originally Posted by LordGerald View Post
    I like it, and this is the kind of project that is good for Bricktown. Does anyone find the Cummins name on the west side slightly distracting because it's not centered? I think it's aligned with the main entry way, but it sort of sticks out like a red dot on Elaine's cashmere sweater.

I didn't notice it until you said it. Darn you. Darn you to heck.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post

I didn't notice it until you said it. Darn you. Darn you to heck.
    NOOOOO!!!!!! If they are going to put the sign there, they shouldn't even build it!!!!

So I take it the odds of this happening are better than the Cotton Exchange?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    So I take it the odds of this happening are better than the Cotton Exchange?
    Considering the Cotton Exchange is completely dead, yes.

But it's a fair point... This is merely a proposal from someone who owns the property and doesn't seem to have any experienced development partners.

Could be just an attempt to try and find some investors at this point, but sure hope it gets built.

14. Default Re: Cummins Building

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Steve's supposed lack of confidence about this project is not the tone I felt from that article...

Looks like a great development. This is what we need more of.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Steve's supposed lack of confidence about this project is not the tone I felt from that article...
    The article clearly has a skeptical tone, mostly based on similar projects that have been proposed over the years that never came to fruition. He admits that it may or may not be a real deal.

I love the urbanism and the homage to the art deco structures of the past. These are the kind of developments OKC and Bricktown needs to take it to the next level. Hopefully it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Considering the Cotton Exchange is completely dead, yes.

But it's a fair point... This is merely a proposal from someone who owns the property and doesn't seem to have any experienced development partners.

Could be just an attempt to try and find some investors at this point, but sure hope it gets built.
    I guess I should've phrased it...does this seem to be more realistic than the cotton exchange was when proposed. Though still not an easy question to answer.

This is far less ambitious than the Cotton Exchange and comes at a much more prosperous time in Bricktown, so at least in those respects it's more viable.

If they are looking for investors I wonder what the minimum buy-in is.

20. Default Re: Cummins Building

The Cotton Exchange was perhaps more viable than we often give it credit for being. There have been plenty of pure fantasy fishing expeditions in the past, but I don't doubt that he fully intended to build. He had a dream team of sorts (for the time) as far as architect, engineer, broker, etc.. The problem was a combination of timing and his own difficulty accessing capital. He didn't have the cash squared away, but may have been able to find it...right up until the economy went into the crapper and speculative condo money went the way of the dodo.

Not sure who Clark has associated with this project (if anybody) but it DOES look like the TYPE of project that could find capital these days, and it certainly advertises the fact that this corner is in play. This might not end up being the ultimate project, but I'll bet you see SOMETHING happen here soon. Hopefully this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I guess I should've phrased it...does this seem to be more realistic than the cotton exchange was when proposed. Though still not an easy question to answer.
    There would have been nothing unrealistic about the Cotton Exchange had it have been proposed a year earlier. Similar projects were being built all over the country even in markets smaller than OKC. Unfortunately it was proposed too close to the economic crash.

Likewise there should be nothing unrealistic about this proposal.

As someone who wasn't around when that Cotton Exchange development was proposed, is there an old thread on this board about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I take it that means you approve?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Probably would be looking for $1.5 to $2 million. Write them a check.

Thread Information